• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,042 Thanks
  • 994 posts

Posted February 22, 2017 - 10:07 PM

I've seen guys who are involved in the off road lawn tractor scene put foot throttles on tractors...

I've done some thinking, and a foot throttle would be handy in a situation such as snow clearing, at least for those of us with gear transmissions, not hydro.

I'd like to keep my hand throttle in place, for doing tillage work and such, but add a foot throttle for transport, or work that does a lot of changing gears and directions... like picking up bales with a 3 pt bale fork (story for another time) or such.

Any input on this whole foot throttle thing?

#2 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 915 Thanks
  • 623 posts

Posted February 22, 2017 - 10:31 PM

My 1948 case VAO came stock with a foot throttle that over rides the hand throttle and comes in handy when needing that extra boost fast,my FIL had it on a 4x4 ford and later on a 4x4 N/H and the foot throttle is all I used when running the loader
  • Greasy6020 said thank you

#3 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,480 Thanks
  • 809 posts

Posted February 22, 2017 - 10:32 PM

I don't think a foot throttle would be ideal for snow blowing , with a snow blower you want to keep your rpms up and find the correct movement speed for the amount of snow you have. I often find with my manual drive that 1st is to slow and 2nd is to fast , so 2nd with using the clutch will allow me to keep my rpms up and gently slow my movement. 

#4 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted February 22, 2017 - 11:24 PM

Better yet build a DEcelerator like was used on the old cats with stick trannys. You push down on the pedal to slow the engine down.

Mike

• Gtractor, shorty, chris m and 4 others have said thanks

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,574 Thanks
  • 4,707 posts

Posted February 23, 2017 - 06:13 AM

Since most of the time you want higher steady rpm I think ol stonebreaker has a great with the decel pedal. Keeps it running even until you need to slow down. Takes a bit to get the knack of using tho.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#6 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,318 Thanks
  • 7,157 posts

Posted February 23, 2017 - 06:19 AM

I added on to my PK , just the way you want to do yours for the same reasons , gear drive and with using the loader and snow plow it comes in handy

http://gardentractor...-foot-throttle/

I can set the hand throttle any position and the foot throttle will over ride it when pushed

Edited by Alc, February 23, 2017 - 06:20 AM.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,252 Thanks
  • 1,505 posts

Posted February 23, 2017 - 09:51 AM

One of the downfalls of a foot throttle is the extra wear it causes on the butterfly shaft bushings etc:.I'v used many a industrial tractor with a foot throttle and loved it especially for loader work and for road travel. 

#8 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,042 Thanks
  • 994 posts

Posted February 24, 2017 - 09:59 AM

All of you guys have good ideas, I had a brain fart when I said snow clearing, I meant with a dozer blade...

#9 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,042 Thanks
  • 994 posts

Posted February 24, 2017 - 10:02 AM

I added on to my PK , just the way you want to do yours for the same reasons , gear drive and with using the loader and snow plow it comes in handy

http://gardentractor...-foot-throttle/

I can set the hand throttle any position and the foot throttle will over ride it when pushed

Do you have any information on how to hook up the foot throttle?

#10 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,318 Thanks
  • 7,157 posts

Posted February 24, 2017 - 05:06 PM

I'll get some pictures of how the foot throttle linkage works together with the hand throttle .

#11 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,318 Thanks
  • 7,157 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 01:59 PM

I thought I had some pictures when I was adding the foot throttle but didn't so these I took today they are hard to see without removing t he hood . I'll do my best to explain . Both the foot and original hand throttles are cable operated " pull to increase "  they both slide through the throttle arm with "bugs " clamping the wire (this might not be the correct term ) Hard to see the lower cable and bug from the pictures . The way it works is either will open the throttle independently . You can use the hand throttle to keep the engine at a high idle but by pressing the foot throttle will rise to governed speed , release the foot throttle and the engine will go back to where the hand throttle was last set

DSCN2321.JPG RSCN2323.JPG RSCN2324.JPG

• MH81, KennyP and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#12 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,790 Thanks
  • 1,422 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 08:25 PM

The "Vari-Drive" on my MF12G (gear drive) works much like a foot throttle, but controls speed, not RPM. I rely on it constantly pushing snow and mowing. It just works backward I guess you'd say from a foot throttle, pushing the pedal slows the tractor's speed. I think some John Deere's had vari-drive setups too?

DAC

• backwoods and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#13 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 11:34 PM

I have a foot and hand throttle on my Kubota. I use it all the time, it's great with the loader, I can use the foot throttle to speed the engine up to raise the loader faster.

My Mobility Big Dipper has a foot and hand throttle. It is a super easy design I will try and post some pictures of it tomorrow.

My Bolens G152 doesn't have a foot throttle and I miss it every time I'm on that tractor.

• Alc and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#14 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted March 01, 2017 - 10:35 PM

I got these pictures taken the other day and I'm just now getting the time to post them.

The foot throttle is what's hooked to the carburetor so the hand throttle can be set and you can hit the foot throttle to give it a little more when needed. The linkage on the hand throttle has a nut on the bottom so it can be adjusted if needed. This is a super simple design and if I would ever build a foot/hand throttle this is what I would make.

Attached Thumbnails

• Cleaning up Farm Bricks 020.jpg
  • Cleaning up Farm Bricks 021.jpg
  • Cleaning up Farm Bricks 022.jpg
  • Cleaning up Farm Bricks 023.jpg
  • Cleaning up Farm Bricks 024.jpg

• Alc and Greasy6020 have said thanks