7 replies to this topic

#1 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,081 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 09:38 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...P4AAOSwWxNYpljG     as much as I want one of these I really think this is to much money, plus he wont ship.

• hamman and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,168 Thanks
  • 8,884 posts

Posted February 22, 2017 - 04:48 AM

I figure that the Weed Cutter, the Earthcavator, The Revitalizer, The Flail Mower, The York Rake, and The Sickle Mower are all equally scarce and about the same value. I've seen most of them for around $400 each in the last 2 years. I don't own a Weed Cutter and am not that interested but wouldn't pass up a great deal it it was offered.

This one comes down to what it is worth to you. There are more usefull attachments around and that price can buy you a running B-10 with deck. Peter you do beautifull work on your restorations. The question is how patient you can be until the great deal comes along.

About 2 months until Zagray. Good Luck, Rick

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,218 Thanks
  • 2,295 posts

Posted February 22, 2017 - 10:44 AM

The weedcutter is one of the most sought after simplicity-built implements.  I think they are more plentiful that thought in years past, and despite that, prices continue to rise a bit on them.  The days of finding a $250-300 weedcutter are probably gone.  $400 is the bargain price nowdays, and they do fetch $500+ on occasion.  I think he is on the high end for condition, but he may very well get it once the vegetation begins to grow.

The Weedcutter is extremely effective...much, much more useful than a sicklebar or mower deck if you actually have brush and long growth to knock down.  It's so smooth you cannot tell it's running, and in tall field grasses, you can cruise right along in 2nd or even third gear.  The nice thing vs a sicklebar, is that you have better control and can run at much high er RPM and maintain a faster ground speed.

The other implements mentioned vary a lot in scarcity and demand, because they are Allied implements, and some are not Simplicity/Allis specific fitments.  Something like a Mott mower is extremely rare, yet much less effective of a tool.  It's a collectors item and would fetch much more than a Weedcutter.  I try hard to track those down, and can count on one hand how many are known to exist.  A York Rake, on the other hand, while pretty useful, is much more common, and used by anyone with a lawn or garden tractor, small ATV, etc.  Collectible and useful, but far less flashy than a 4-bladed, brand specific implement with a giant DANGER decal on the front  ;)

• blackjackjakexxix and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,866 Thanks
  • 1,099 posts

Posted February 22, 2017 - 11:07 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...P4AAOSwWxNYpljG     as much as I want one of these I really think this is to much money, plus he wont ship.

Not to rub salt into a wound.   Steve Johnson (Bolens collector from Portland Oregon) had one of those for sale on CL back a couple of months ago.  I think he only wanted $250 for it. 

#5 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,081 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted February 22, 2017 - 12:10 PM

I want one but will wait for a good deal, not something I am actively searching for either.
Pete
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#6 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,870 Thanks
  • 2,076 posts

Posted February 22, 2017 - 05:03 PM

Not to rub salt into a wound. Steve Johnson (Bolens collector from Portland Oregon) had one of those for sale on CL back a couple of months ago. I think he only wanted $250 for it.

Sounds like someone got a good deal then
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you

#7 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,605 Thanks
  • 7,328 posts

Posted February 23, 2017 - 06:38 AM

Those are pretty wicked looking , I think the first time I saw one at a show I spent 5 minutes looking just at the cutters lol

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#8 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,851 posts

Posted February 23, 2017 - 08:03 PM

I like my weedcutter for looks but would like to try and use it this summer