• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 05:19 PM

Hey guys i know i aint been around in a while, but anyways...

I was going to fix the headlights on my old MTD 860A, as i was pulling the switvh i noticed the ammeter beginning to spin, long story short now it wont even crank.

I have power at the ammeter...is it possible i screwed the ammeter up? Can i just bypass it? I have power with the key off or on, and i could get it to crank a few times but now i got nothing.

Advice? Will a short in the ammeter keep itnfrom starting?

Edit...

Sorry, electrical is far from my fortay, i guess it makes sense one side is hot and not the other cause the dead side is negative...

Either way, any ideas?

Edited by DZG, February 21, 2017 - 05:31 PM.

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#2 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 552 Thanks
  • 488 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 06:15 PM

Power runs through the ammeter.  You should have power coming in and out of it. Try bypassing it if you don't have power on both sides.  Did you check the back of it and make sure the wires are in good shape?

• boyscout862 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#3 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 1,128 Thanks
  • 681 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 06:23 PM

Billy M is correct, if you measure from ground to either of the terminals on the ammeter you should be seeing power. It sounds like your ammeter is dead. I would visually check over the rest of the wiring on the tractor before you try to bypass it though. It is possible that something else is shorting out, causing a lot of current to flow through the ammeter and that is why it failed.

Jim

• Bruce Dorsi, boyscout862 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#4 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,961 Thanks
  • 4,085 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 08:08 PM

Billy M is correct, if you measure from ground to either of the terminals on the ammeter you should be seeing power. It sounds like your ammeter is dead. I would visually check over the rest of the wiring on the tractor before you try to bypass it though. It is possible that something else is shorting out, causing a lot of current to flow through the ammeter and that is why it failed.

Jim

Ditto

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted February 22, 2017 - 08:58 AM

Ill look over the wireing good before i try to bypass it. Itll be a few days before i get back to it but ill let yall know what i find.

Also, btw, can i just go to TSC and buy a tractor ammeter or will i have to find a original one?

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,254 Thanks
  • 43,378 posts

Posted February 22, 2017 - 09:16 AM

Is it the 2" round meter? Any of those should work. I bought 2 of these as they match the time period well.

#7 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 552 Thanks
  • 488 posts

Posted February 22, 2017 - 10:29 AM

I was also assuming your electrical system was properly fused.  If you don't have a fuse in it, install a properly sized inline fuse to protect everything.  If you keep blowing fuses, you'll know you have a problem somewhere even if your wiring looks good.  Plus, fuses are much cheaper than ammeters, coils, switches, etc.

• old coot said thank you

#8 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted February 23, 2017 - 03:54 PM

Yes its a 2 inch round. And yes it does have a fuse in it, its still intact.

I like those ammeters. Btw, the wireing on this thing looks pretty unmolested, which is why im curious as to whats wrong
  • KennyP said thank you