• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aftonarrow OFFLINE  

aftonarrow

• Member No: 4388
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 04:16 PM

Hi,looking to restore my hydro 16 this summer/spring.The original rubber floor mats on each side where gone when I got it.What would a person use to go back with when replacing them?and the glue that you would use also?I love my Gilson thinking about having it buried next to me.Its a heck of a machine..

#2 pryan05 OFFLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84973
  • 438 Thanks
  • 240 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 06:54 PM

Hello, welcome to GTtalk!  I've had luck gluing the rubber on with a spray adhesive such as 3m super 77.  You spray it on both pieces let it tack up then stick it together.  My most resent tractor I did not have the rubber mats so I used spray on box liner.  It worked very well it just took a bit a patience masking it off and making nice radius's.  But it tuned out very well. DSCN3546.JPG

You can sort of see how it turn out. on the floor boards.

• Alc, aftonarrow and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,091 Thanks
  • 2,805 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 06:56 PM

You can get something that looks close to original mats at your local home improvement store. Rubber stair tread with self adhesive backing. They come in many many different patterns. Or just use a good name brand Skateboard Grip Tape.That stuff last for a long long time.

Here is about the best grip tape you'll find other than the expensive industrial grade grip tape that's $10-15 a square foot. Waterproof and you can't peel it off once the adhesive cures. It's good stuff. 1 chunk might be enough. Measure your foot rests just to make sure.

http://www.ebay.com/...4AAOSwpdpVcd20 

If you get the grip tape leave the back on it untill you have it cut to size.

• gopher, aftonarrow and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 aftonarrow OFFLINE  

aftonarrow

• Member No: 4388
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for the ideas.I just found this at harbor freight a few minutes ago.I don't know if its too narrow but it looks great and cant beat the price.

http://www.harborfre...read-98856.html

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,305 Thanks
  • 3,232 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the ideas.I just found this at harbor freight a few minutes ago.I don't know if its too narrow but it looks great and cant beat the price.
http://www.harborfre...read-98856.html

I got the same thing but haven't used them yet. They look & feel nice.

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,357 Thanks
  • 5,787 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 09:48 PM

I have used those from HF.  Problem I had was the adhesive would let go after and short while.  Got a roll of no slip type surface about 4" wide from NAPA.  Don't remember what it cost but has been on for a year with no problems.  Used smaller pieces on the brake pedal.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 Doxey ONLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 174 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 10:41 PM

I've had good luck with using car or truck floor mats.  Just cut to size and use contact [rubber} cement.  Sometimes you have to sand or grind the back off because many are made for installing on carpet.

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks