• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 526 Thanks
  • 293 posts

Posted February 20, 2017 - 01:39 PM

Good day I have a G11XL that I am assembling.  It came to me in peices so its been a bit of a puzzle.  although every time I put something together then redo it because I missed something its getting a lot faster and easier.

To my problem.  I have been looking at the schematics trying to figure out the wiring for the ignition.

The Magnito has a solid core coverd wire that has no end onit.  It may be broken and several inchs to short.

The tractor has the blue wire with an eyelet from what I see on the schematics should go to the magneto.  As this wire has a eye it should go on a bolt or stud.  There is a stud on the governor assembly that is a posabiltiy. 

It has a 11 hp briggs

The questions

Where does the Blue wire from the switch go?

Where does the wire from the magneto go?

Thanks for any help you guys may have.

:wave:

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170220_110556.jpg
  • 20170220_110617.jpg

Edited by Alberta Bolens, February 20, 2017 - 02:36 PM.

#2 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,822 Thanks
  • 2,413 posts

Posted February 20, 2017 - 08:41 PM

Hopefully, someone else has a tractor they can look at to answer your questions more accurately.

Looking at the wiring diagram, there should be 2 Blue wires connected to the "M" (magneto) terminal of the key switch.

One blue wire goes to the seat switch. 

The other blue wire would be connected (somewhere) to the black (solid) wire from the magneto coil.  ....This connection and their wires need to be insulated from any metal parts of the engine or tractor.  ....Grounding this wire kills the ignition.

On most B&S engines (I don't know about yours) these two wires meet near the throttle cable mounting at a nylon block or an insulated screw terminal.

• ClassicBolens and Alberta Bolens have said thanks

#3 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 526 Thanks
  • 293 posts

Posted February 20, 2017 - 10:14 PM

Hopefully, someone else has a tractor they can look at to answer your questions more accurately.

Looking at the wiring diagram, there should be 2 Blue wires connected to the "M" (magneto) terminal of the key switch.

One blue wire goes to the seat switch. 

The other blue wire would be connected (somewhere) to the black (solid) wire from the magneto coil.  ....This connection and their wires need to be insulated from any metal parts of the engine or tractor.  ....Grounding this wire kills the ignition.

On most B&S engines (I don't know about yours) these two wires meet near the throttle cable mounting at a nylon block or an insulated screw terminal.

OK Perfect that narrows it down hugely.  There is a terminal near the throttle cable, I was eyeing up.  The wire on the mag is way to short I did figure it was broken, shorter than it should be.  Thanks for your help!!!!

#4 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,822 Thanks
  • 2,413 posts

Posted February 20, 2017 - 11:31 PM

You're welcome. 

You can add wire onto the too-short wire.  ....Splice them together and insulate them well.

The wires on the primary side carry very little amperage, so that is why they are a small diameter. 

Voltage in the primary wires is also low compared to the secondary side, so thick insulation is not needed.

• Bolens 1000 and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#5 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 526 Thanks
  • 293 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 11:20 PM

Had to get new Magntio.  Fired right up.

• Bruce Dorsi and 29 Chev have said thanks