12 replies to this topic

#1 77ddt ONLINE  

77ddt
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 25507
  • 52 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 10:23 PM

I've admired the little mini dozers at tractor shows for some time, but never had been in the right place at the right time to get one... until last week.  I caught one within an hour of being posted, and although I had to work around Cub Scouts that night, the seller let me come the next morning to look at it.  

I'm still not totally sure what I have gotten myself into, but I am trying to learn fast.  Looks to be a Struck MD40 or 45, or at least most of one.  Seller said he bought it as it sits, and the previous owner took it apart to restore it and then lost interest (and a few pieces).  Seller had it for a few years but never got around to doing anything with it.  Now it's my project.   

So far, I've found it's missing the idler pulleys, belt guides, struts on the outsides of the tracks, and needs all new belts.  The 8HP Briggs obviously isn't original, although doesn't appear to be a bad choice for replacement motor.  I don't know if it runs yet, but also have an 8HP Kohler K181 I could use if this one doesn't pan out.  The components don't look to have alot of wear, but do have some rust pitting from sitting a while.  The seller said before he got it it was sitting on the floor of a barn, so that would explain that. 

I'm looking forward to a new challenge, and both of my boys are excited to have a little crawler they can drive to go along with my Cat (a 1929 model Ten).  

Attached Thumbnails

• struck_01.JPG
  • struck_02.JPG

• grnspot110, KennyP, Cat385B and 7 others have said thanks

#2 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 11:32 PM

How awesome is that, I think that is a way totally cool tractor!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,421 Thanks
  • 7,231 posts

Posted February 20, 2017 - 06:29 AM

Hopefully you'll do better then the last fellow . That's going to be pretty neat when you get it done . Are there more pieces beside what you mentioned  missing ?  

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• Member No: 8763
  • 1,809 Thanks
  • 999 posts

Posted February 20, 2017 - 08:36 AM

Totally Jealous!! I would love to find one of those or a palomino Jeep.

#5 77ddt ONLINE  

77ddt
  • Contributor
  • 52 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 20, 2017 - 11:14 AM

Alc - I am sure there is more missing than I found in my initial inspection.  The self aligning bearings seem to be a common issue with these, and sure enough looking through the bag of small parts I see I am missing one.  A couple of the ones I do have also seem like they should be replaced.  I'm sure there will be a few other surprises in the near future as well.  

• KennyP said thank you

#6 77ddt ONLINE  

77ddt
  • Contributor
  • 52 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 09:58 PM

That's a first...

A lot of times when I see a craigslist ad I am interested in I print out the ad. If I get it, the ad goes in my file on the tractor. If I don't, it goes in my "ones that got away" file. I knew there was another Struck that sold locally a few years ago and I finally got around to looking for the ad tonight. I found it, an ad from 2013, and lo and behold it is the same tractor. I missed out on it then, but I guess patience pays off.
  • Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#7 Compact7 OFFLINE  

Compact7
  • Member No: 86901
  • 4 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 12:48 AM

Your persistence was amply rewarded! At age 12, I read and treasured that 1967 Popular Science article that signaled the kickoff of Struck dozers. Still have that issue. I've never run across one locally to pursue, but I haven't put forth the effort as you have. Good score and nice save! Good luck with procuring or subbing the missing parts!

Here's a pic of all the parts from that PS article.

-Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• 67struckdozerParts.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#8 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 767 Thanks
  • 263 posts

Posted May 20, 2017 - 09:05 AM

Neat project.  I may have drawings for that machine.  Might help if you have to make your own parts.

#9 77ddt ONLINE  

77ddt
  • Contributor
  • 52 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 02, 2017 - 09:47 PM

I have been working on the Struck off and on since I first posted, but haven’t taken the time to put out an update.  I am actually nearing the finish line on this project, but now that I know some of my repair work will actually result in a functional machine, I figured it was a good time to post what I’ve learned to help others who might have similar projects now or in the future. 

My original thought for this project was to just get it working mechanically and not really worry about how it looked.  There was some pretty heavy rust and pitting in places, so it wasn’t practical for me to do a full-blown refurb on it anyway.  To get it working, I was going to have to buy/make the missing parts.  There is no model markings on the tractor, but I thought it most looked like the image on the MD40/45 manual, so I downloaded it from Struck’s website and used the parts list to figuring out what I was missing.     

It looked like replacements could be purchased for all the belts and pulleys I was missing.  I also decided I would be better off with some new self-aligning bearings.  I was able to pull a part number off the self-aligning bearings I had, and ordered some new SealMaster 725520 L-10 bearings.  The manual said they steering idler pulleys were 2”, so I ordered some Stens 280-024’s that seem to match the specs of the originals.  For the 4 drive belts, I got some Gates 6850 belts.  With all these other new pulleys and bearings, I decided to also get a new drive belt idler pulley, for which I used a Stens 280-263.  Between Amazon and Ebay, I was able to find the parts I needed and fortunately none were terribly expensive.  

The remaining belt I needed was the drive belt.  Before I could order that, I had to figure out what engine I was going to use. It would have had a H70 Tecumseh originally, but that motor was long gone.  A running 8HP Briggs (and the original drive pulley) came with the tractor. Having had a Wheel Horse with an H70, I could tell that the Briggs was a little larger than the original Tecumseh. I tried it, and it did fit inside the Struck body, but there wasn’t much room to spare.  Also, with it positioned where I thought it needed to be, the front motor mount bolt holes were out past the front of the bottom pan.  

struck_03.jpg

struck_04.jpg

It wouldn’t have been that hard to create a way to mount the Briggs, but since I also had a spare Kohler K181, I thought I would give that a try.  The height and length of the Kohler was a good fit for the Struck, but I didn’t expect to have an issue with width.  The inside width of the Struck body is 16”, and the K181 from pull start cover to end of crankshaft was over 15 ½”.  So, it fit, but just barely, and didn’t leave any room for belt service or dozer blade lift linkage.  

struck_05.jpg

struck_06.jpg

In the end, I wasn’t all that crazy about either engine option, so I decided to move on to something else and see if a Tecumseh popped up that would make for an easier installation.  So, I moved on to the parts I needed that I couldn’t buy.  

There may be some information on the Strucks that is lacking, but Struck Corp. providing prints to make all the parts for the early models in the manual is pretty nice.  Even better is the fact that most of the parts are pretty simple to make. I am by no means an expert metal worker or welder, but I was able to make the steering lever cross shaft, the track expander struts, and all the belt guard “fingers” that were missing.  Even though I had the axles, they were very heavily pitted and grooved in the rotating areas, so I got some new 7/8” 1045 steel rod from onlinemetals.com and made some new axles. 

struck_07.jpg

struck_08.jpg

While had the tools out for making parts, I also needed to make a few repairs.  I welded in some reinforcement strips inside the body where there were quite a few rust holes, and then filled the holes ith weld from the outside.  My welding isn’t that pretty under good conditions, so welding inside the body was definitely a challenge.  At least on the outside I could clean it up with the grinder.  

struck_09.jpg

The final area of repair was the seat.  The seat was welded to the body at the factory., It looks like virtually no paint made it’s way between the body and the seat because a considerable part of that area was so heavily pitted it was rusted through. The seat was also bent, probably from something heavy being set on top of it.  I cut the seat off, pounded it back into shape, and fabricated a bolt-on mount for it so I could clean up the rusted area and have a way to actually get some paint on it.  

struck_10.jpg

That’s probably more than enough of an update for now.  I will try to get another segment of the process posted in a few days.  

• Alc, B10Dave, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#10 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 767 Thanks
  • 263 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 08:55 AM

Nice progress!

#11 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 245 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted September 17, 2017 - 09:13 PM

204_3895.JPG

101_2445.JPG

Just ran across this thread.  I have the same machine & did a refurb on it a number of years ago.If you have any specific questions I may be able to help.

How are the drive & idler sprocket hubs?  They are usually worn badly.  I was able to re-bush mine.

Have a number of pics of the assembly work.

Skip

• Mark 149 J. and secondtry have said thanks

#12 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,275 Thanks
  • 1,039 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 08:12 AM

attachicon.gif204_3895.JPG

attachicon.gif101_2445.JPG

Just ran across this thread.  I have the same machine & did a refurb on it a number of years ago.If you have any specific questions I may be able to help.

How are the drive & idler sprocket hubs?  They are usually worn badly.  I was able to re-bush mine.

Have a number of pics of the assembly work.

Skip

Well don't just tease us! post the pictures. Thanks.     Don

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#13 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 245 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 09:28 PM

Oh--------------OK.  Obviously not in any particular order.  The riders are Daughter & Granddaughter.

Attached Thumbnails

• Misc Pics 7149.JPG
  • 101_2448.JPG
  • 101_2437.JPG
  • 101_2438.JPG
  • 101_2442.JPG
  • 101_2443.JPG
  • 101_2445.JPG
  • 101_2446.JPG
  • 101_2447.JPG
  • Misc Pics 7150.JPG
  • Misc Pics 7151.JPG