• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 382 Thanks
  • 351 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 08:27 PM

In a couple months I will have had this tractor for 10 years. It was one of those "get around to it projects" and was at my buddy's place. I offered to sell it a few times with no takers. It was not running when I acquired it and I was told it had a rod knock and "wouldn't pull a hill". The blower shroud was present but removed as was the coil wire. I wanted to get a vacuum cleaner to the thing and clean out the cylinder but not having it at home presented challenges. I finally maybe two years ago pulled the head and cleaned it out the best I could without a vacuum. I was having trouble with spark and never got it to hit. I was using a megafire as the points plunger was wore out and I didn't have another.  Fast forward to this winter. 

As delivered 10 years ago:

65sears2.JPG

As it sat this winter:

IMG_6171.jpg

I knew I needed to get it running to move it as it would not roll and the manual stated that towing would destroy the transmission. I put a battery in it and it cranked with the key but smoked a little from the connection at the switch. It fired up. The engine seemed to be one of the smoothest running Tecumseh's I've had. It does make a bit of a chatter but not much more than any of the other HH Tecumseh's I've had. I engaged the transmission and it moved out of the spot it sat for nearly 10 years. What a feeling. It would die intermittently and I found it was the blower shroud moving and grounding out the kill wire. I fixed that. Its now home and getting some TLC. I really like the style of this tractor. May put an old style 3 point on it.  This tractor has a total of seven belts on it. Wow.

IMG_6280.jpg

IMG_6288.jpg

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,961 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 08:32 PM

Glad you got that moving under its own steam.
The not able to pull a hill could be an issue with a slipping clutch. If you see any hesitation, keep an eye on the plates under your right knee

Awesome piece, glad you kept it.
  • boyscout862 and ACmowerguy have said thanks

#3 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,453 Thanks
  • 1,103 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 04:01 AM

Tecumseh had roller bearings on the crank there should be ZERO end play check it . If it has any you can shim the race on they flywheel side there is a cup. The procedure for doing its in the Tecumseh 8 to 18 hp cast iron . Book in the manual section you may already know you can do that but if you don't try it. Sometimes it will take care of the knock
  • boyscout862 and ACmowerguy have said thanks

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,561 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 05:42 AM

Nice style tractor . Does it use some of the David Bradley running gear ?

#5 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • 382 Thanks
  • 351 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 10:48 AM

Tecumseh had roller bearings on the crank there should be ZERO end play check it . If it has any you can shim the race on they flywheel side there is a cup. The procedure for doing its in the Tecumseh 8 to 18 hp cast iron . Book in the manual section you may already know you can do that but if you don't try it. Sometimes it will take care of the knock

Thank You. I will look into that. I think I may have done that on my Massey years ago. 

#6 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • 382 Thanks
  • 351 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 10:51 AM

Nice style tractor . Does it use some of the David Bradley running gear ?

Thank You. 1965 was the last year for the "Bradley-built" Suburbans. I don't know how much it has in common with a walk-behind but it has a similar trans, frame, and steering to the Suburban 725 and earlier Suburban tractors. After 1965 they used the Roper chassis and Hi-LO transmission. This tractor has a variable speed drive system.

Edited by ACmowerguy, February 19, 2017 - 10:51 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears, suburban 10, tecumseh