• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,486 Thanks
  • 710 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 05:30 PM

Ha - Went out with my Uncle today , we did some 'freestyle picking' he said he was meaning to stop by this one place for a long time .

Met a nice guy and he showed us his piles of stuff. PILES'  , A lot of old VW trucks , he had some GTs but nothing worth any effort .

Then I happened to see something off behind a stack of other stuff.

Even had a 'blue' color on it I recognized.

:D

Here it is sitting in my driveway . He put a number on it I could live with.

S5001559.JPG

S5001558.JPG

S5001560.JPG

S5001563.JPG

The base frame was bolted on and it was set-up for an independent motor but it looks to be intact otherwise .

It is obviously the buzz-saw attachment for the 2 wheeler. With the guard and the blade spins free and not loose at all.

All in all I think I did well to find this . And didn't pay E-Bay prices either.

On another note I picked up this 'Handiman' at a nearby On-line auction , for $9

S5001561.JPG

S5001562.JPG

Pretty cool little piece ! This is the old fashioned way of small gardening. But tight and right . It has the original handiman decal on the underside of the handle .

I may be foolish , but I love this stuff.

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 10 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,144 Thanks
  • 44,148 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 05:35 PM

Nice scores! Spent a lot of time feeding a saw like that!

• boyscout862 and MGP59DB have said thanks

#3 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,984 Thanks
  • 1,255 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 07:39 PM

I like that saw,,,should pick one up some day. I quite regularly have saw blades much larger than that on my truck for the saw shop...Sure handy for bucking up logs and lopping off limbs thats are getting in the way

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,371 Thanks
  • 7,755 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 09:33 PM

Is that the Arm-Gone model of saw?  I bet lots of old-timers got hurt using those.  See people all the time with fingers and parts missing from un-clogging corn-pickers, this might be second then?  :smilewink:

#5 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,486 Thanks
  • 710 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 11:19 AM

Hey , Thanks for all of the 'thanks'  .

I was outside playing with this new toy , I straightened the guard out and found one weld is broke there so that will be fixed ,

I found the model # 917-575109 . This is a 24" blade , meaning it was made for 5HP+ engines , it was sold in the 59' Sears book for $47.95

blade weighs 17lbs and a new one in 59' was $17.45 , This model is the Electric Blue color .(has some of the original paint)

(internet photo)

7fa4.jpg

It is in good working order , So either I have to get a 2 wheeler to hook it to ..... or.... I measured the height and width of the connections and find that it will line up pretty close with 'Rusty'

002 (4).JPG

The width of the connection is 1/2" too wide , but height is perfect . So I think I will make an adapter and then find the right belt to fit.

To me , if it doesn't work there is no sense in having it. And of course it will be blasted and painted to look like new .

My other thought is to find a 2 wheeler and make it a dedicated 'trailer' with its own motor to run this .

Either way it will be fun to figure it out.

• Jazz said thank you