8 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,117 Thanks
  • 721 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 05:25 PM

Well as some may know I have 2 Bolens 1000's. I drove very far for both of them and both have their pro's and cons. I bought my 1st 1000 years ago and drove 6 1/2hrs into Ohio for it. It ran good, and operated great, but once I got home and posted it up I learned that it didn't have an original seat on it. So I was kinda upset I drove so far for it and it wasn't in original condition. Then just last summer I stumbled across a 1000 in CT. It was a steal for the asking price but I was 6+hrs away from where it was and I wasn't sure I could take a trip for it. Luckily the seller worked with me and Barry snagged the tractor for me and stored it till I could take the trip to get it. That 1000 is all original but has clutch issues and hasn't been run in a very long time! So I was actually thinking about making 1 good 1000 out of the 2. I was considering it because 1000's themselves are hard to come by in my area, 1000 with the original seats are even harder to find in everyone's area I think, and I knew a seat would be nearly impossible to find just being sold separately. Well I got lucky! I snagged a seat, and a spare pto from a guy online. He cut me a great price on the 2 and they just showed up in a huge box. The seat is rough but the metal pan is solid. But I'm pretty sure there is a guy floating around this site that does excellent restorations on these 1000 seats.... (29chevy) now my 2 1000's will be complete! Time to save my pennies so I can send them to 29chevy and he can make them look factory again!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0339.JPG
  • IMG_0340.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, blackjackjakexxix and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,247 Thanks
  • 756 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 06:35 PM

NIce!! Stew will make it look new again. :)

• blackjackjakexxix and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#3 bonusbuilt1950 OFFLINE  

bonusbuilt1950
  • Member No: 82972
  • 375 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 07:39 PM

Nice find!!

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#4 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,734 Thanks
  • 1,994 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 07:54 PM

We all know Stew is the man on these Bolens seat
  • Austen and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,147 Thanks
  • 7,584 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 09:36 PM

Maybe he will just refer you to the last few issues of LAGT mag with instructions on YOU doing it?? :D

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#6 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,572 Thanks
  • 1,115 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 03:55 AM

Great find!
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#7 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,455 Thanks
  • 1,801 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 07:15 AM

Maybe he will just refer you to the last few issues of LAGT mag with instructions on YOU doing it?? :D

I was really surprised at the amount of detail LAGT put into that series with the seat redo.

Too bad I'm not worth a darn with a sewing machine, so I too will be purchasing some of (29 Chevy) work;)
  • blackjackjakexxix and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#8 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,117 Thanks
  • 721 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 09:36 AM

I have never tried nor do I have access to a sewing machine. Wish I had one because It's a great skill to have for sure! But one I've never learned. Kinda like body work and painting. I can body work to an extent, but never painted anything. Wish I would of took autobody in school! I took regular auto shop and was top of the class because my dad taught me everything I needed to know on the mechanical side. Should of took autobody so I would of learned something.
  • blackjackjakexxix and Austen have said thanks

#9 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,956 Thanks
  • 2,237 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 03:13 PM

Looks like a nice Bolens 1000 seat for the year of it - the vinyl and padding appear to have the usual problems that come with upholstery materials that are fifty plus years old  - glad you were able to find it for your second tractor.

It is always good to learn new things I find - especially as one gets older it helps to keep the mind young and challenged.  Sewing is not a hard task to master - I still liken it to bolting or welding metal together only instead of using metal you are using vinyl or fabric and instead of using bolts or welds you are using thread - just working with softer and more flexible materials. 

• fonz3482, blackjackjakexxix, Austen and 1 other said thanks