#1 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 416 Thanks
  • 430 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 08:17 PM

The onan in my 1655 died last summer.  I finally got enough saved and got a B&S 18hp replacement. I should have done it long ago before putting all the money I did in the Onan.  I didn't want to go with another tractor as I have too many attachments for this tractor. While the Massey was sitting I put in the third hydraulic I have been wanting to do.  So now it's a Massey 1655 H3.  Know everyone likes pictures so here are a few.   IMGP2548.JPG IMGP2545.JPG IMGP2544.JPG IMGP2543.JPG

• olcowhand, limebuzz, bigge61 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2541 Thanks
  • 1830 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 08:30 PM

Lookin real good in there!
  • Bud said thank you

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 13643 Thanks
  • 6004 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 09:42 PM

Ah, two belts to run the pto. That's what I need for my lgt 165 ford. Two belts to run the pto for the snowblower.

Nice set up in the Massey ferguson.

Noel
  • Bud said thank you

#4 The_SnowMan710 OFFLINE  

The_SnowMan710
  • Member No: 89670
  • 36 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted October 03, 2018 - 01:08 PM

How easy was this swap for you?  Was it pretty much a bolt in or how many mods did you have to make?  Found a clean B&S just like this one on good ol' craigslist for not a whole lot of coin...just have to drive 250 miles to get it...

#5 dougcsv OFFLINE  

dougcsv
  • Member No: 98860
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 06, 2020 - 04:58 AM

Hi - New here!! :-) I'm in the UK - I've had a snapper 1855 fro many years now but just thrown in the towel with the Onan : I have a B&S Vanguard to pop in - Would you mind sharing any details on your conversion  ? I realise it was a couple of years ago but I'd be most appreciative :-)   Many thanks, Doug.

#6 J. Dreib OFFLINE  

J. Dreib
  • Member No: 98712
  • 45 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted May 06, 2020 - 10:26 AM

Hi Bud!  How's it running for you?  I have a 1655 that the Onan just bit the dust.  If the Vanguard is running good and the install wasn't too difficult I'm interested.  Just like Doug from the UK we'd love some more details.

• dougcsv said thank you

#7 pacer OFFLINE  

pacer
  • Member No: 39185
  • 120 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 06, 2020 - 12:31 PM

This is indeed an interesting post --- I have an Onan also, still runs great but.... at some point ???

I see the OP hasnt been on line since last Nov, might sent a PM and he'll see it in his email and respond.

• J. Dreib and dougcsv have said thanks

#8 dougcsv OFFLINE  

dougcsv
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 06, 2020 - 03:36 PM

To be fair my one never really ran right - it had been messed with but I've rebuilt the carb a couple of times changed the float to the brass one, changed the points, coil , fuel pump and swapped the whole carb for a nikki ...very hard to source parts of course esp in the uk  but when it runs it's brilliant. I'm trying to work out what electric clutch will work. I was trying to get the one off the onan but it has siezed on the shaft and I don't want to break it. If I can I'll post up some pics. If I can sort it I want to build a 3 point link for the back as it has the hyd ram there already.... Cheers,  Doug.

• limebuzz said thank you

#9 dougcsv OFFLINE  

dougcsv
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 23, 2020 - 03:28 PM

Just a little update - I've now removed the onan - it was actually pretty easy and quick. I also found a guy on youtube Willy CK who has some interesting videos on repowering and other things - not the snapper unfortunately  but similar stuff. anyway I couldn't get the electric clutch off the onan & I know they are discontinued (no surprise there) so I didn't want to break it. Anyway I found a cheapish John Deere X320 electric clutch which fits the Vanguard 18hp shaft. It is only single pulley but I found I can swap the double pulley front section from the onan and just had to chop off about 22mm from the JD middle section (will post up some photos soon). Next problem is if you line up the front pulleys the rear drive is too far back and gets in the way of where the drive pulleys are. So I'm going to try to move the front pulleys forward a bit - if I can get them to move on the shaft ; something they are def not keen about. Otherwise the engine needs to be raised about 3cm - that's prob the easy part!      

• pacer said thank you

#10 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1716 Thanks
  • 1709 posts

Posted May 23, 2020 - 05:47 PM

Just a little update - I've now removed the onan - it was actually pretty easy and quick. I also found a guy on youtube Willy CK who has some interesting videos on repowering and other things - not the snapper unfortunately but similar stuff. anyway I couldn't get the electric clutch off the onan & I know they are discontinued (no surprise there) so I didn't want to break it. Anyway I found a cheapish John Deere X320 electric clutch which fits the Vanguard 18hp shaft. It is only single pulley but I found I can swap the double pulley front section from the onan and just had to chop off about 22mm from the JD middle section (will post up some photos soon). Next problem is if you line up the front pulleys the rear drive is too far back and gets in the way of where the drive pulleys are. So I'm going to try to move the front pulleys forward a bit - if I can get them to move on the shaft ; something they are def not keen about. Otherwise the engine needs to be raised about 3cm - that's prob the easy part!

If you study the first pic, it looks like he made a space for the rear stub shaft. That might save you some head ache instead of moving the front pulleys out so much.
  • dougcsv said thank you

#11 dougcsv OFFLINE  

dougcsv
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 24, 2020 - 10:05 AM

If you study the first pic, it looks like he made a space for the rear stub shaft. That might save you some head ache instead of moving the front pulleys out so much.

Yes it looks like he has cut into the screen in order to mount the stub further back on the shaft, also his electric pto is different  - i'd love to know what make and model it is because mine projects out much further...on the plus side I have managed to get the bottom pulleys off after a bit of a fight. I'd much rather only have to modify one end if at all just to keep the amount of work down and limit the risk of making mistakes. 

• limebuzz said thank you

#12 Avalontractor OFFLINE  

Avalontractor
  • Member No: 47743
  • 118 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted September 09, 2020 - 07:05 AM

Hi - New here!! :-) I'm in the UK - I've had a snapper 1855 fro many years now but just thrown in the towel with the Onan : I have a B&S Vanguard to pop in - Would you mind sharing any details on your conversion  ? I realise it was a couple of years ago but I'd be most appreciative :-)   Many thanks, Doug.

Hi dougcsv,

If you don't mind me asking, what's a B&S Vanguard engine worth.

We have a 1977 1655 with the original Onan twin. It has countless hours of run time and will likely fail in the not too distant future. Where we live, sourcing another Onan or even finding parts is very difficult. The tractor is otherwise in quite good mechanical condition so a re-power is worth doing.

There's an outfit in The US that will rebuild an Onan but the cost's are high. Around $ 3,500 USD, that's almost $ 5,000 CAD (over 3,000 Euro). On top of that, I'd be faced with another thousand or more, in transportation costs. Another option is to buy a Honda GX series twin that comes with a kit to mate it to the Massey but it's over $ 3,000 USD plus shipping. 

We just lucked into a pristine 67 Massey 12 and having it shipped cost as much as we paid for the tractor.

Cheers

• KennyP said thank you