Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

KT19 series II electronic ignition conversion?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 luc.doiron OFFLINE  

luc.doiron
  • Member No: 81947
  • 34 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 03:30 PM

Good afternoon,

After replacing the points in my engine, now the condensor is going bad by the looks of it. Lots of sparking on the points when the engines runs, and it loses power at high throttle when the engine gets hot. I tried replacing the condenser (one that my father in law got), and it seems to have the same issue. We're both thinking it may be time to convert the ignition to electronic, but is there such a kit to do that for those twin engines? I've seen some for the single cylinder engines. Gotta get the tractor back out to move some snow!

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you

#2 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 596 Thanks
  • 517 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 04:22 PM

I haven't seen any conversion kits, but that doesn't mean they are not out there.  Does the KT block have the mounting posts for the ignition modules/coils under the flywheel shroud like the Magnum does?  It would be a fairly easy conversion if that was the case. 

I've said it before...I personally don't mind the points ignition on the Ariens GT tractors.  If you have electronic ignition, you have to pull the engine to replace an ignition module.  All of the points ignition parts are external and can be replaced without pulling the engine.  Points/coils/condensers last a long time when set up properly.

#3 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 121 Thanks
  • 165 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 04:32 PM

I had a PointSlayer on my KT19. Worked great after I made a rod for it. Then one day it quit. It got too hot because of where it's located. It melted something on the circuit board. Last I heard they were no longer making them but were working on an improved version.

https://youtu.be/KHTFDA3ti5Q

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

#4 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• 121 Thanks
  • 165 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 04:59 PM

You could also have a coil going south. There not cheap but you can buy a Harley Davidson coil and fab up a bracket to mount it.
Something else to think about, I bought a M18V for cheap, spare parts. The guy said it'd get hot, loose power, and quit. There was so much grass packed it behind the shrouds that cylinders were not getting cooled, only the heads.

#5 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• 121 Thanks
  • 165 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 05:26 PM

Here's the guy who used to make it
http://overnight-solutions.com
Another guy that used to sell it
http://www.kirkengines.com

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,597 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 06:06 PM

You guys make like replacing a condenser is some big deal. It's not. Put a good quality set of points and condenser in and they will last for years in most cases. If you can't get OEM Kohler my next choice would be to get Napa echlin (their "good" line)
  • Billy M said thank you

#7 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 596 Thanks
  • 517 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 09:28 PM

You guys make like replacing a condenser is some big deal. It's not. Put a good quality set of points and condenser in and they will last for years in most cases. If you can't get OEM Kohler my next choice would be to get Napa echlin (their "good" line)

I agree DT. We ran the original points in the K161 on my dad's CC71 for 30 years before they burned up. I re-ringed the engine shortly after. I never would have thought a set of points would last the life of an engine. Although...I don't think the quality of the points you buy today will last that long.

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,597 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 10:08 PM

yeah with little to nothing made here anymore......  but every time "condenser" comes up around here,  people must either think they cost $1000, or they are "poison" and not to be touched with all the uproar and complaining that happens every time.  

Oh my God, I gotta replace my CONDENSER!!! EEEEEEK!       they are machines. Machines DO need MAINTENANCE. Big deal.

Edited by dodge trucker, February 16, 2017 - 10:10 PM.

• Eric said thank you

#9 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 806 posts

Posted February 17, 2017 - 06:19 AM

In my opinion if it is failing when hot my first step would be the coil, and also clean and shape the points. Not sure of the condenser in your tractor either internal resistor or not but figure that out and buy a quality replacement, first if you have a condenser from a running engine try swapping that in. Another consideration is Your plug and plug wire, I have had many plugs act up even when new. There are also troubleshooting guides in the manual section for your engine with any luck. It always helps to start at beginning and work through the issue as the manual states, jumping to conclusions can complicate your problems. Switching to electronic ignition is going to be more work than simply working your current system. Good luck and be patient sometimes taking a step back can bring new life to your thought process!