14 replies to this topic

#1 Wellskurt OFFLINE  

Wellskurt
  • Member No: 85912
  • 5 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 06:09 PM

Hey so I have a chance to get this tractor
He's asking 2000 it has 1600hrs and a slight hydraulic leak. I've never spent more than 300 on a lawnmower so I'm freaking out about dropping this kind of cash. My only comfort is knowing I can at least get my money back out of it if it doesn't work out. So what do you think is 2000 a safe price and is 1600hrs too much for one of these? It's a diesel so I assume it has a longer lifespan. I will try to get pics up
  • holdenboy1960, Leonard VanCamp and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,034 Thanks
  • 30,448 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 06:22 PM

Just going by the hours, with no pics, I'd say it's a great deal!  Has a mower deck I assume?  50" or 60" deck?  3 point lift?  

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#3 Wellskurt OFFLINE  

Wellskurt
  • 5 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for the response that's what I was thinking. Yeah 60" I think not sure on the lift so with 1600hrs there's still life left in it??

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_2017-02-15-17-43-09.png

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,034 Thanks
  • 30,448 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the response that's what I was thinking. Yeah 60" I think not sure on the lift so with 1600hrs there's still life left in it??

If cared for, 5,000+ hours is easily had from the diesel engine.  If she runs well, 2 grand is a bargain.  They are a heck of a machine, and I'm a red tractor fan, but I too have a 430 and love it!  I'll have to check the hours on mine, but I'm sure it's way past 1600.

They do a fine job mowing too!

• holdenboy1960, Leonard VanCamp and nitro have said thanks

#5 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,565 Thanks
  • 2,573 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 08:13 PM

54 or 60 inch deck, good condition common price here $3000, $3500.  2k is a good price.  hyd fluid leak at 1600 hours probably is a fitting needing tightened,  no big thing.

That is a big lawn mower will mow 5+ acres at a shot no problem...  I'd rather see someone buy and use that instead of a zero-turn any day!  

Edited by Delmar, February 15, 2017 - 08:19 PM.

• holdenboy1960 and nitro have said thanks

#6 Wellskurt OFFLINE  

Wellskurt
  • 5 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 08:29 PM

Okay great that's good to know I can at least get out of it if need be. Don't know squat about diesels is there anything I should watch for? A little Smoke at start up is normal I'm sure..all diesels sound like they are about explode to me. Any places to look for oil seepage that would cause concern or any special places on these that corrode bad? These people don't sound like wheeler dealers looking to flip a turd but they do have a lot of toys by the looks of it..I'm always skeptical of a good deal but this sounds pretty safe hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to post some pics of it in my garage!
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,034 Thanks
  • 30,448 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 09:27 PM

Some black smoke at startup and under load is normal.  Even a slight blue tint when cold is ok as long as the blue goes away when she warms to operating temps.  Diesels are much more dependable and easier to maintain.  Check that the engine coolant is clear of any oily film.  As far as oil leaks, same as with any engine, look for any leakage beyond slight weepage that collects dust.  A 430 in good shape should start up right away with temps 55F and above.  If it takes several seconds of cranking over before it fires up, there may be issues.  They have glow plugs to help firing up when cold, but are controlled by a electronic box which turns them on, then off several seconds later, but often these boxes fail which can impede firing up.  Also, a clogged fuel filter can cause poor firing up and/or running.

Drive it a while to be sure the hydrostat trans works smoothly without any sudden speed changes or lurching.  They have a 2 speed final drive but I leave mine in hi range for mowing.  

• Alc, Delmar, holdenboy1960 and 3 others have said thanks

#8 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,315 Thanks
  • 7,153 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 06:35 AM

Those are some nice tractors , my neighbor bought one new , I remembered it was a lot $$$ back then and for fun checked Tractor Data and it sold for $9500 in 1992 and with a inflation calculator it figures to $16,753   !!!!

http://www.tractorda...-deere-430.html

• holdenboy1960 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,603 Thanks
  • 5,518 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 07:49 AM

a 430 is the only JD I would even consider owning ( don't like green and yeller), they go for $3-5,000 up in my area.

#10 Wellskurt OFFLINE  

Wellskurt
  • 5 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 04:53 PM

Thanks For All The Comments Guys. Good things come in threes for me sometimes and I've found a guy selling all of his small tractor implements for what I think is pretty cheap. Attached is a keen kutter 4 ft tiller. Would this work on a 430 if I have a 3pt and pto? He also has a rake, box blade,...etc he's asking 200 for the tiller

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_2017-02-16-15-46-07.png

#11 Wellskurt OFFLINE  

Wellskurt
  • 5 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 04:56 PM

Goin to loOK at ..and hopefully get this 430 tonight. I was able to get him to admit that it has a hard time starting when it's cold and he has to hot wire the plugs so it will need a relay. Hopefully nothing else comes up because there's no room in my budget for repairs unless I can talk him off of 2000.
You all have been a great help BTW thanks again!

#12 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,076 Thanks
  • 1,596 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 05:13 PM

The 3 point for a 430 is Category 0. Ruegg makes a limited Category 1 for it also but your limited on size and lift. That tiller is more than likely a 540 rpm tiller. The 430 rear pto spun at 2000rpm. The tillers are out there. Just have to look. Good luck!!!

I have a 420 which is the gas version and absolutely love it. It's my main goto machine.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • Leonard VanCamp and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#13 Wellskurt OFFLINE  

Wellskurt
  • 5 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 11:16 PM

well I checked it out tonight and i chickened out on it. the headlight was removed and bonded over from some previous damage that was fixed. there was just too many loose ends for me. the bottom of the engine was wet looking with oil as was the bottom of the differential it had beads of oil forming on all the low spots underneath it. the fuel pump was leaking out of one of the bolts/plugs on top and he had installed a manual actuator thing to switch on the fuel pump since the electric one went out. lastly the deck only raised a a few inches and only on one side which he said was normal for the most part. all the leaks he said were just a matter of o rings and easy fixes but he said he was diesel mechanic also which made me nervous as well. it did start up and seemed to run smooth. It came with a blade that had hydraulic lift manual tilt. worried i may have missed out on it but im just not use to seeing that much oil/fluid coated underneath a mower and still wet/fresh but maybe thats common place with older hydrualic/deisel tractors. it didnt seem to operate bad but with no headlights, electric fuel pump switch, bad glow plug relay, and all the leaks it had me worried. that and it was shined up pretty good, im always skeptical so maybe i was a little harsh judging it. 

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#14 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 909 Thanks
  • 613 posts

Posted February 17, 2017 - 11:57 AM

Uhmm...no!that's not harsh,unless you left black Mark's leaving (very understanding if you did)
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#15 oldmanmopar OFFLINE  

oldmanmopar
  • Member No: 55570
  • 123 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 11:22 PM

I wouldn't blink an eye and it would be at my house. A fool would have to think about that. BUY IT!!