• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 02:45 PM

I been sitting inside today chatting , drinking coffee and looking through snow removal pics and such as well as getting ready to do some more snow removal myself. 

I came across a sequence of photos that really show how much snow we are getting this year. I few snow removals I have shared here out biggest one 26" at one time. and have skipped a few as they were just little 6" dustings and such. 

20161212_135722 (1).jpg

Early start of the year if you look at the ladder in the back ground you will notice that i move it before it gets snowed it. 

20161230_100627.jpg

Another snow we had, I already positioned the ladder in the center where i want it to be snowed in at. I leave the ladder there because I need to keep this area clear the person who built the over hang made it to big and to flat but I like it so I will keep the snow off it instead of repairing it or taking it down. 

20170213_095810.jpg

At this point I don't need the ladder, can't get or move the ladder its there till spring heck I don't even need the ladder to get on the roof I can just walk up the bank. I have since this photo removed the snow from the roof, and currently getting more so the next one should be pretty good.

This year has been the roughest season we had in awhile and my vintage equipment has been really good to me. I am so thankful for this site and the information I obtained from this site as well as a few others on these old garden tractors.I have put a lot of hard work into getting them as ready as I could in the short time I got them but can see the real potential in these older tractors, and glad I decided to go back years in time when picking out my snow removal equipment they may rattle a little and be a little clunky but they just work and work, best thing since sliced bread. I can see now why I have killed a box store John Deere in 3-4 seasons and have more trust in my 1968 sears and 1973 horse then ever before. I have had to jump start, put air in the tire and have had a carburator fail on my plow, but all in all its been a great year so far on my old GT's. I feel they will be around many years. 

Anyway I will continue with a follow up photo after I clean up this last one, but if we get much more I will be living in an igloo. 

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, MH81 and 17 others have said thanks

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,510 Thanks
  • 2,424 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 03:15 PM

Now I remember what snow looks like!  We used to get that stuff all the time.  This year I haven't even put my snow plow on.  Now we're looking at near 60 all next week!  Man, winters are rough!

• MH81, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 2,103 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 04:42 PM

Here's our mess from the last 4 days, didn't get much snow in December or January but making up for it now, this stuff is wet and heavy too!14871947778631180046114.jpg
  • Alc, Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,507 Thanks
  • 9,336 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 04:52 PM

You folks in Maine must have made somebody mad. Your sure getting our share this year.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,895 Thanks
  • 44,624 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 04:52 PM

Glad the old iron is taking care of you! Also glad we don't get snows like that around here!

• Gtractor and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,028 Thanks
  • 8,799 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 05:02 PM

John congratulations on things working out for you. We are glad the old iron is working for you. The problem with the older equipment is that they can breakdown. To deal with this problem it is best to have a couple(or more) spares. If most of your tractors are the same, you can steal parts from one to keep another going. This hobby can be addictive but it can also be productive. Good Luck, Rick

• propane1 said thank you

#7 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,290 Thanks
  • 2,387 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 05:22 PM

Looks like you got your share of snow

I really hope you don't get another go

Perhaps other parts of the world need the cold

Wet, white stuff that each winter anymore gets quickly old

I just got back in from getting the mail at the end of the lane

Looks like the wind has been busy here - it can be a pain

Not much snow in spots but in others the wind has piled it up nice

Will have to blow it tomorrow before it warms up and turns to ice

Enjoy the winter but keep thinking spring and warmer days to come

Seat time is nice but after a while can become a pain in the bum  :(

Just a suggestion - you may want to invest in a roof rake for removing the snow off your overhang and roof - http://www.roofrake....-Roof-Rake.aspx .  They usually have three sections about four and a half feet long that can be joined together to reach areas such as your overhang while keeping your feet planted on the ground.  I have used them in the past years and found they are fairly easy to use and it is much safer in my opinion working from the ground rather than off of a ladder as we get younger.  Up here in Southwestern Ontario they can usually be found in stock at hardware stores.

Hope the rest of your winter is short and the snow melts slowly so you do not get any flooding - be safe and stay warm.  The temperatures here are supposed to go above freezing by the weekend.    

• boyscout862 and John Arsenault have said thanks

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,134 Thanks
  • 3,932 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 06:01 PM

Well John, I get same snow as you get basically. I will have some pictures tomorrow , hopefully. And one of my lgt ford blowers broke the other day, snapped the 3/4 shaft for the impleller. Will have pictures of that too, soon.

Noel

#9 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 06:31 PM

Looks like you got your share of snow

I really hope you don't get another go

Perhaps other parts of the world need the cold

Wet, white stuff that each winter anymore gets quickly old

I just got back in from getting the mail at the end of the lane

Looks like the wind has been busy here - it can be a pain

Not much snow in spots but in others the wind has piled it up nice

Will have to blow it tomorrow before it warms up and turns to ice

Enjoy the winter but keep thinking spring and warmer days to come

Seat time is nice but after a while can become a pain in the bum  :(

Just a suggestion - you may want to invest in a roof rake for removing the snow off your overhang and roof - http://www.roofrake....-Roof-Rake.aspx .  They usually have three sections about four and a half feet long that can be joined together to reach areas such as your overhang while keeping your feet planted on the ground.  I have used them in the past years and found they are fairly easy to use and it is much safer in my opinion working from the ground rather than off of a ladder as we get younger.  Up here in Southwestern Ontario they can usually be found in stock at hardware stores.

Hope the rest of your winter is short and the snow melts slowly so you do not get any flooding - be safe and stay warm.  The temperatures here are supposed to go above freezing by the weekend.    

I have tried the roof rake, it does not get the ice and with the angle of the long pole I can't reach but half of the over hang . I was up there with my mallet the other day breaking up ice that was 3 plus inches thick, so although it was a great idea it just didn't work for me. The roof rake works better on my garage because the roof has a steeper angle to it. But yet the steeper angle also cause the roof to clear itself on a warmer day . 

• boyscout862 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#10 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 06:35 PM

John congratulations on things working out for you. We are glad the old iron is working for you. The problem with the older equipment is that they can breakdown. To deal with this problem it is best to have a couple(or more) spares. If most of your tractors are the same, you can steal parts from one to keep another going. This hobby can be addictive but it can also be productive. Good Luck, Rick

I was breaking my new equipment a lot faster then I can break this old equipment., I am very mechanically inclined so I will be mixing some old with some new to get my tractors perfect , I am not one that requires this to be period or brand correct I just like things that work and keep working , these old tractors have a great platform to start with but they will require some working in order to get them up to par.  

• boyscout862 and nitro have said thanks

#11 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,008 Thanks
  • 6,174 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 06:37 PM

Glad the equipment is working out for you.  My have to keep wire and duct tape around to keep it working but it keeps right on going.,  Back in about 1961 when I was in the service up in the norther tip of Maine, the wife's uncle worked for the highway dept.  I remember his talking about attaching 12 -15 ft saplings to the sign post and about ever 50 ft. on the guard rail post so the guys driving the plow and blower had an idea where they were at.  He operated a blower a lot and drove it most of the time by looking through the glass in the floor board at the center road markings to know where he was at.  Went Snowshoe rabbit hunting one time and we steeped OVER the power lines.  The blowers, plows and broom on the flight line were only shut down inside the motor pool for servicing.  Had a 14 day period where the warmest it got was -42°.  All the tunnels on the base were opened and no one was to go outside without adequate cold weather gear.  I was a cook and worked that winter in the mess hall for the Fire Dept of 25 guys on the flight line.  B52 and KC135 Strato Tanker would come and go and all we could see was the tip of the tail.  So I do know the effect heavy snow and cold can have on the area.  This was up on the Northern tip at Limestone AF Base at Caribou, which is long gone. 

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,962 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 06:38 PM

WH blowers do a great job, don't they?
Thanks for the progressive pics.

#13 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 07:21 PM

WH blowers do a great job, don't they?
Thanks for the progressive pics.

Yeah I can only compare it to a few other garden tractors Simplicity 3415H and a John Deere LT110 and the WH is the best of the bunch on those. I tell you though The sears is a die hard , when there is stuff the WH has a rough time getting through the sears just eats right through it with out the sound of an rpm change. I am not sure if I can pin it on the hydro drive just being so efficient and less strain on the engine when getting into the thick stuff or if its just because you can always seem to find the right movement speed, but no matter how wet, how deep, how packed its been the Sears hydro just amazes me. 

Seeing that I got a tiller for my sears/garden I will no longer be mowing between rows we want more food and that requires more real estate I won't need the wh rear discharge deck, I got a sears ss12 manual drive plow now so don't need the plow for the wh. I think I maybe selling my horse and its attachments and buying another sears. Its just hard to though because the horse is a great tractor and I also miss our old Simplicity summer time because that was a mowing tractor , none of them mows better then a Simplicity. Funny how these tractors have pros and cons in different areas, I have learned a few the hard way but like I said thanks to research, reading, and youtube videos I was able to find something that we like. I also can have an issue with anything that has a right side clutch due to my knee so that limited me from a lot of other good tractors.  

WH is another winner in my book , I liked them all but the box store deere.

• MH81, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#14 jimbobbillyray OFFLINE  

jimbobbillyray
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,672 Thanks
  • 2,675 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 09:24 PM

holy cow that's a bunch of snow.  not much of that down here in western Missouri.

• MH81 said thank you

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,507 Thanks
  • 9,336 posts

Posted February 16, 2017 - 08:35 AM

When I used that blower on my Horse, I had a problem with steering. When I tried to turn, it would slide the wheels. I tried the roller chain around the front wheels, but it wouldn't stay on. Does the Ag front tires fix all that?