• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fryeburg500 OFFLINE  

Fryeburg500
  • Member No: 56497
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 11:11 AM

Good morning all. We're getting hammered up here in Maine with the white stuff and im in need of some help. After a long snowblowing session with my GT-18 tractor, I went to move forward from reverse slowly and there was a (Lack of perfect description) very light thud like a shear pin snapped or a keyway let go. That sort of thud. After that happened, the tractor would not move forward or back. I pulled the tractor into my garage and while doing so, the right rear tire and axle slid out of the tractor. I can only hope and pray that there's a shear pin or keyway that let loose, resulting in this failure. I'm also hoping and praying that someone on this forum can let me know what they think it is and / or how to fix it. In looking at the manual, the detail schematic of the rear axle does not show a keyway or shear pin. It only shows a "dowel pin" and a "lock pin". Any advice or help would be huge at this point. Thank you.  

#2 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 121 Thanks
  • 165 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 11:26 AM

The axles are held in by the tapped roller bearing.
Your park lock cable may have broken. Allowing the park lock pin to engage the spur gear.

4ece7045a193e9ee7b15dd4cac518634.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,103 Thanks
  • 44,122 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 11:26 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum. That doesn't sound good! Someone should be along to help, may be a bit!

#4 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 596 Thanks
  • 517 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 11:30 AM

Was the axle complete with the splines on the end, or did it break?  If it's complete, there is probably a groove at the inside end for a clip that may have broken.  I would want to disassemble and inspect as that's not a common occurrence. If it is just a clip failure, the repair is cheap on parts, but labor intensive.

#5 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 12:04 PM

Good morning all. We're getting hammered up here in Maine with the white stuff and im in need of some help. After a long snowblowing session with my GT-18 tractor, I went to move forward from reverse slowly and there was a (Lack of perfect description) very light thud like a shear pin snapped or a keyway let go. That sort of thud. After that happened, the tractor would not move forward or back. I pulled the tractor into my garage and while doing so, the right rear tire and axle slid out of the tractor. I can only hope and pray that there's a shear pin or keyway that let loose, resulting in this failure. I'm also hoping and praying that someone on this forum can let me know what they think it is and / or how to fix it. In looking at the manual, the detail schematic of the rear axle does not show a keyway or shear pin. It only shows a "dowel pin" and a "lock pin". Any advice or help would be huge at this point. Thank you.  

Howdy neighbor I am from Rumford Maine. I am thinking you are going to get lucky and find its just a key way or clip. Once you find out whats wrong feel free to post here because I may have a part for you if needed. I have a few suburbans I bought for parts needed to fix mine and happen to have a complete transmission (i think they are the same as the suburbans). I have also had these transmissions apart and they are very easy  to work on some parts available at searspartsdirect (seals gaskets clips) so what ever it is I am sure it can be fixed. 

#6 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,276 Thanks
  • 1,040 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 12:17 PM

Pictures of the axle could help get more responses. Some times a visual is a real memory booster. Don

• KennyP said thank you

#7 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 12:47 PM

Oh my bad you got an ariens gt18 not a sears gt18 ......sorry I just noticed that 

I think I have done too much snow removal myself. Just sitting inside today watching it fall drinking coffee trying to help....but ooooops 

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,802 Thanks
  • 6,035 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 06:55 PM

Why is it they never break down in a warm shop.  Always has to be out in the cold when we really need them.

• Wm McNett said thank you

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,957 Thanks
  • 2,591 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 08:47 PM

I see that OP hasnt been here in over 3 months, curious to see if this ever got resolved.  I happen to have a rear axle out of an S16H sitting here that was a very incomplete machine when it came to me, not worth making whole again..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gt-18