• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Y2K GTP OFFLINE  

Y2K GTP
  • Member No: 85906
  • 61 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted February 20, 2017 - 10:49 AM

I was able to remove the rear section of the drive shaft very easily this morning, but the front section seems to be a bit more a challenge. I can't seem to hold the drive shaft in place while I remove the bolts. It keeps turning on me. What is the proper way to get those bolts out without damaging the engine? I'm thinking about putting a wrench on the front underdrive pulley to hold it in place while I remove the bolts. 

#32 Y2K GTP OFFLINE  

Y2K GTP
  • 61 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted February 20, 2017 - 04:35 PM

I got it removed. Now to get it fixed and reinstalled. drive shaft 2.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#33 Y2K GTP OFFLINE  

Y2K GTP
  • 61 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 06:04 PM

Dropped it off at the welder today. His fix is to put a 4 inch piece of solid steel pipe inside of it, and then weld it up straight. After that it should be good to go again. I just have to figure out why it is knocking the steering shaft, but I'm thinking it was because of the lose bolts on the rubber bushing near the gear box causing the drive shaft to wobble, and hit the steering shaft.

#34 Y2K GTP OFFLINE  

Y2K GTP
  • 61 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 06:07 PM

I got it back from the welder, he did a really good job. I pulled out the steering shaft, and I re-centered it with a couple of thick washers to clear the drive shaft. I now have about a fingers worth of clearance from the driveshaft to the steering shaft. I took me roughly three hours to get everything out of the way to put the driveshaft in, and then put it all back together. I drove it around a bit, and re checked the tightness of the bolts, all seems good so far.

drive shaft 3.jpg Wards 1.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#35 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,620 Thanks
  • 2,630 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 11:49 PM

Hi and welcome to gttalk!  Glad u found this site.  Bunch of old iron addicts here, me included.

Glad to read u have your granddads  gt up and running. 45+ years old sometimes needs a little fixing.  Keep up the good work!