Garden Tractor Forums banner

New here with a Squire 12

Tags
squire 12
3K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  jimbobbillyray 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I recently got this tractor. I know very little about it. It sat for 11 years, I did get it running, and moving. Everything seems great on it. Just needs some maintenance. Anyone have any manuals for this? I don't even know what year it is. The date code on the engine is 87-12-14. I know the engine is not original. Anyone know what the knobs, and levers do?

Tire Sky Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Tractor Vehicle Window
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Fender

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the group. Nice find. I know little about the Garden Mark but someone will be along who does. Have you tried our manuals section? Good luck.

#4 ·
That looks like a Gilson made unit. Maybe try that section for info on the forum. Nice tractor btw!!

Reactions: boyscout862
#7 ·
:wave: Welcome to the forum! Give the folks a bit and someone can help you out.

Reactions: boyscout862
#9 ·
That is a very good tractor. Find the model and serial numbers on the tractor to help get the correct manuals. You want the operators manual and the engine manual as starter. Did you get any attachments with it? Good Luck, Rick
I got a 48 inch mowing deck that is in good shape. The tag appears to be missing. I have been looking for a stamping on the frame, but have not found one yet.

#13 ·
After further investigation, I would say it is a 1970 GIL-33029B according to this parts manual.

#20 ·
I was driving this tractor around today, and the drive shaft snapped into two pieces. I doubt getting a replacement is an option, but I'm thinking I could either get another piece of steel rod, and cut it to fit, or weld this one back together. Anyone here have any thoughts?

#22 ·
The hard part about welding is keeping it straight. Got some pics of the carnage?

#24 ·
Taking it out will be easy since it will be in two pieces, but it looks like I may need to remove either the engine, or part of the gear box to get it in place again. Hmm...a free tractor is going to be a lot of work all of sudden. I am determined to save it since it was my grandfathers.

#25 ·
It looks to have been rubbing on the steering. May need to address that too. You need to get the overall length so it can be welded back correct.

#26 ·
I noticed it has been rubbing on the steering shaft for a long time. I wonder if I can slot the engine bolt holes and move it over to clear the steering shaft. Maybe I will just take the entire tractor to my welder, and let him fix it. I hate to do that to him, as he is busy this time of year, but he might be able to fix it. Or I could I just remove the shaft and weld it myself and put back in, and see how long it lasts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.