• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,597 Thanks
  • 2,806 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 07:40 AM

Those prices were crazy on them too an they cover a lot of topics from.what I saw

#32 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 09:36 AM

I have very little mercy for a thief, this stuff makes me angry not just the fact that he's making money but also taking advantage of others. He basically states these are copies but later tells how his binder will protect the rare frail pages. Lol

I collect Brett Favre cards & bought a so called graded rookie card on ebay. When I opened up the package I was furious. I knew right off it was a bogus grading Co. not what he had listed, the plastic box had so much glue around it it looked like a child glued it. I went on a mission that took almost a year. Long story short this guy & his partner were arrested on felony charges of mail fraud. I did get my money back shortly after filing a case with eBay, they were very cooperative. Back then it was easier to find who people were on ebay, it's harder to do that now. By the way that was about 25 years ago & just talking about it gets my getting even adrenaline flowing.lol

Edited by Sawdust, February 18, 2017 - 09:38 AM.

• Gtractor, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks

#33 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,917 Thanks
  • 4,822 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 10:23 AM

Do the moderators have info of where members are?

Since his ebay location says Chewelah, Washington, and with many manuals having 20 or less downloads it seems it'd be possible to find who the mole is.   ???

• Bolens 1000 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#34 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,448 Thanks
  • 44,935 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 10:54 AM

Austin or the admin's maybe!

• Gtractor said thank you

#35 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 226 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 01:18 PM

You folks do realize that the manuals posted here in the public domain are questionable in the eyes of copyright laws?  Those manuals were copyrighted when they were printed, and that covers digital transmission.  Our free use aspect is somewhat of a cover, but not much of one.  Lucky for us, most of the companies in question are out of business and/or no one cares.  I will agree, a person selling reprints on eBay is brazen and illegal, but technically speaking, so is posting them on a board.

#36 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,525 Thanks
  • 9,820 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 05:14 PM

I care little about the legality of the manuals being available on this forum. JD didn't care for it and they made us take them down which the owner did. The others haven't spoken up.

What I do care about is the intention of posting these manuals. They were uploaded by members of this forum. They are there to help out folks that want to fix up, restore, or operate these older garden tractors.

KennyP, NUTNDUN, and others have not uploaded thousands of pages of manuals so some prick can come in here and start printing them off to make money. They exist in this format for the betterment of the hobby, not some a-hole's pocketbook. I hope the SOB's printer starts on fire and burns his house to the ground. It's the advance of oneself off the toil of others. Not a commendable attribute in my opinion.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Gtractor and 5 others have said thanks

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,448 Thanks
  • 44,935 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 05:54 PM

Maybe some one should make Mother Deere privy to this?

#38 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,674 Thanks
  • 30,972 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 05:55 PM

VERY well put Scott!   :thumbs:

• Bolens 1000 and Cat385B have said thanks

#39 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 226 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 07:58 PM

I care little about the legality of the manuals being available on this forum. JD didn't care for it and they made us take them down which the owner did. The others haven't spoken up.

What I do care about is the intention of posting these manuals. They were uploaded by members of this forum. They are there to help out folks that want to fix up, restore, or operate these older garden tractors.

KennyP, NUTNDUN, and others have not uploaded thousands of pages of manuals so some prick can come in here and start printing them off to make money. They exist in this format for the betterment of the hobby, not some a-hole's pocketbook. I hope the SOB's printer starts on fire and burns his house to the ground. It's the advance of oneself off the toil of others. Not a commendable attribute in my opinion.

Illegal is illegal in the eyes of the law, regardless of the intention of the perpetrator.  For instance, its still illegal to shop lift food from a grocery, even if you are starving.  I'm not siding with the guy, just stating the facts as the law sees them.  Lady Justice only sees in black and white.

Hoping someone's house burns down because you don't like what they are doing?  Really?

#40 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,523 Thanks
  • 956 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 08:29 PM

Illegal is illegal in the eyes of the law, regardless of the intention of the perpetrator. For instance, its still illegal to shop lift food from a grocery, even if you are starving. I'm not siding with the guy, just stating the facts as the law sees them. Lady Justice only sees in black and white.

Hoping someone's house burns down because you don't like what they are doing? Really?

We've been down this road before :http://gardentractor...+member +famous

You will see there isn't much tolerance by members who at the expense of their own time and material donated the manuals to all who may be in the need, the amount of expertise and knowledge available just for the asking here as a GT nut is priceless, so when what you see is to profit purely with that being your sole motivation then you will suffer the ridicule of those who have made this sight what it is.
Often in the heat of battle we utter remarks of disdain for effect. The man didn't say " and I hope your in it" after all. Perhaps the individual who is in question here and obviously a member will have the courage to speak to exactly what is was he was thinking, if not then he has left himself open to the ones who have penned their thoughts as to what they think of him.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, February 19, 2017 - 08:38 PM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#41 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 4,000 Thanks
  • 2,354 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 09:00 PM

I haven't read through all of these post so maybe someone has already said this, it is illegal to sell those manuals because they have a copyright,  if they are turned into eBay, eBay will cancel all of his listings.

#42 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 664 posts

Posted February 20, 2017 - 09:49 AM

I agree!
This should be for the 1 and gone classifieds too!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree, allowing people to post up tractors for sale here helps collectors find them, if you put a post limit on it then they will just move on and list elsewhere and the collectors will lose out.
  • DougT said thank you

#43 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 48806
  • 1,375 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 09:51 AM

Welcome to the club. This is something that has bothered me for years. Many of you may not know this, but a large majority of the older Bolens manuals here on gttalk (and just about everywhere else online) are ones that I scanned and created many years ago that were hosted on that one Bolens website that I'd rather no longer mention (that no longer exists). I have fought with eBay for years to have them removed, but never really get anywhere. One dissappears, ten more pop up. I gave up a long time ago. While I don't own the rights to the manuals or images, nor do I claim to, it does bug you when you know that someone else is making money off of your labor. I have countless hours involved in making these manuals available for everyone to use for free. I have never had an issue with them being copied over here (or anywhere else really) for them to be used as intended. But as soon as they're being monetized, it's a completely different story. When I first started making them (some 20 years ago), I was very specifically told that I could not sell or distribute them for monetary gain. This was during the Gardenway-Troybilt era. MTD basically had the same stance on the old Bolens manuals and were mostly appreciative to have access to many of the old ones that they did not get from Troybilt. Prior to me making these pdf manuals available, all we had was the original paper manuals or microfiche. I started out making multi-page .tiff files before Adobe pdf became the industry standard. Sure, the resolution was not great, but it was better than nothing at the time.

I continue to archive these old manuals with newer and better scans, but it has made me hesitant to post many of them. The scanning software and technology is far better today than it was years ago. I'd rather not make it easier for someone else to make more money. So as of late I've been trying to place watermarks or my logo in the newer scans. I don't do this to be a prick. I don't do it to take credit. I do it so they're easier to find when they're used and hosted where they shouldn't be.

If all of this isn't bad enough, there's a whole website out there currently that has taken it upon themselves to make an almost exact duplicate copy of that old Bolens website (that no longer exists) and went as far as to nearly copy the original website name. They did manage to strip my (website designed and maintained by tasmethods) logo and copyright information. They didn't bother to change my background images, logos or or much of the design layout and have claimed it to be of their own design.

tasmethods.jpg html.jpg

tractor-id.jpg tractor-id-2.jpg tractorguys.jpg tractorguys-2.jpg manuals-1.jpg manuals-2.jpg tractorguys-manuals-1.jpg tractorguys-manuals-2.jpg

Edited by ClassicBolens, February 21, 2017 - 10:25 AM.

• Bolens 1000, MH81, Bruce Dorsi and 1 other said thanks

#44 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,053 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 10:29 AM

Its a shame people cant make their own way and have to copy others work.

Those guys mentioned above I'd love to see held acountable but it seems efforts to do so do not get anywhere, at one time they even had my Bolens tubeframe article copied word for word there :wallbanging:

• Bruce Dorsi and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#45 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 48806
  • 1,375 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 10:35 AM

Its a shame people cant make their own way and have to copy others work.

Those guys mentioned above I'd love to see held acountable but it seems efforts to do so do not get anywhere, at one time they even had my Bolens tubeframe article copied word for word there :wallbanging:

I guess I didn't notice that your article is gone now. I have never gotten any response from them.