25 replies to this topic

#1 DirtBug OFFLINE  

DirtBug
  • Member No: 85877
  • 30 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 07:47 PM

Hi Guys,

So I went to fill up the transmission after flushing the old stuff out with diesel (thanks for the tip).

I am a little confused about the info in the manuals.

The owners manual says:

- 1/2 pint 80/90

-1" below fill plug

-The FILL plug is shown on the side of the machine, however my fill plug is on top next to the shifter.

The supplemental manual (thanks MNGB) says :

-1 to 1 1/2 pints 80/90

-3 3/8" below the top of the check and fill plug

-shows the fill plug for the transmission where my plug is on my machine, next to the shifter.

Neither manuals really seem to show the proper location for the drain plug as it is at the bottom center of the transmission and cant be seen without getting under the tractor. In the supplemental there is an exploded view. The drain plug in this view appears to be PN 3 however on my tractor its facing the rear of the engine where the one in the picture looks to be facing forward.

I guess I'm just curious what I should do as far as filling this thing. I believe one is measuring from a side port and one from the top, so I guess they both could be correct measurements, however one says 1/2 pint and the other says up to 3x that amount.

If I were to guess I'd say mine is about 4 pints total capacity to fill it to the top...

Owners Manual:

http://gardentractor...tractor-manual/

Supplemental Trans Manual:

http://gardentractor...ttach_id=224995

Maybe I'm missing something? Any help appreciated

#2 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,714 Thanks
  • 1,222 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 08:19 PM

Hi DirtBug, you discovered that little thing about fill levels :wave:  Disregard the owners manual that is for the 3 speed transmission, EPCO Owners of Power KING etc used the same owners manual for the last 4 years and at that time the 4 speed was an option (may have been standard in 84 not sure but do think so) So now your down to 2 options for the 4 speed some trans like your have a dipstick some don't mine does not, I fill mine to 3  3/8" below the filler hole, and that's what I recommend, do not over fill it as it will leak out the front and maybe out the back.  

• boyscout862 and DirtBug have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,362 Thanks
  • 7,747 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 09:46 PM

Hardest part about the 3 and ? dimension is needing something to put down in and measure, heh!   Some trans did not have the dipstick. Later, they added one, BUT, is folded over. Why?   Think it would hit gears in running trans?? Not sure.  I have also seen the dipstick with only the upper part left on, and lower part broken off at the pivot, so not useful. If you have the stick,use it. Put in an amount of oil, check level, add as needed to meet the marks on stick. Go slow, let each pour kinda level out a moment. You might consider adding a little less than mark, then run a bit, do re-check to see if you need more or is good to go. Make sure same stick cap is in to keep the oil in the trans at top. You might get some leakage with movement and splashing, that is normal, as is not a tight screw-in seal. The mix of 90w and STP  is OK, but I prefer             , which is about same thickness and such.   

Senior moment here, can't seem to recall that brand of trans additive!!!  Sits on all the counters in auto stores!!!!  Help me out here, guys! Duh!  Alzheimers.

• MNGB and DirtBug have said thanks

#4 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,714 Thanks
  • 1,222 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 09:51 PM

Hi gl would it be Lucas?

http://lucasoil.com/products

• Alc and DirtBug have said thanks

#5 DirtBug OFFLINE  

DirtBug
  • 30 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 08:07 AM

Thanks guys, if your ever in town beers on me.

I actually have the dipstick holder and was wondering what it was. It looks like it also allows pressure out of the case as the top has a sort of wobbly fitting kind of like a pressure cooker. Also the tube looks to be hollow with 2 slots.

About the leaking, I was worried about that as under the tractor there was some serious gunk comming from where the transmission meets the drive shaft. Hopefully not a big issue I'll just have to keep an eye on it. The previous owner had some gooey rubber sealant around the fill plug, I'm assuming this was to keep water out. I figured I would just use plumber's tape though.

Not sure what to put for an additive but just having fresh oil in there already made a huge difference. As soon as I get some time I'll check out the differentials...

Thanks again!
  • Alc said thank you

#6 DirtBug OFFLINE  

DirtBug
  • 30 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 08:10 AM

IMG_20170212_161340.jpg

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,362 Thanks
  • 7,747 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 08:12 AM

Yeah, Lucas Oil!  Dumb I could not remember when writing this. Have to get the one for manual trans, they also have auto mix. Who knows, maybe all the same, just the containers with different words, heh!

• DirtBug said thank you

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,362 Thanks
  • 7,747 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 08:18 AM

PIcture: Yep, that is the drain plug there.  IN plastic tractors, thought the bearings were sealed type??  Maybe these in first years don't have?  I think on any older tractor, this just shows there was some oil in it and a little seepage is not big issue. ON big tractors in old days, if it didn't leak some, you needed to check the levels. They used lots of felt seals and they needed to leak to keep them swelled up, but when dried out, then they crumbled. Just look at any old machine and see oily areas all over them, built up with lots of dirt. The Dirt then is what is now keeping the oils in, heh! My old PK"s leak and I just clean the spots up once in awhile, or you could put a soaker material under them or a pan or box side to collect.

• DirtBug said thank you

#9 abu507 ONLINE  

abu507
  • Member No: 68410
  • 10 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 10:42 AM

I have STP only in my 4 speed trans

• Alc and DirtBug have said thanks

#10 DirtBug OFFLINE  

DirtBug
  • 30 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted February 17, 2017 - 06:56 PM

Oh wow how's the STP only? I read somewhere that it breaks down eventually, but I'm sure all oils do at some point. Any input on this?

#11 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,714 Thanks
  • 1,222 posts

Posted February 17, 2017 - 07:22 PM

Hi DirtBug, personally I would not use it straight, did some searching on the subject and at one time it was recommended for Ford Model "A" trans and differential but guys found that after a couple of years it ended up so thick it would hardly drain out of the trans so many have gone back to a gear lube.

Here is an alternate that some folks use

http://lucasoil.com/...g/lucas-hub-oil

Edited by MNGB, February 17, 2017 - 07:42 PM.

• DirtBug said thank you

#12 DirtBug OFFLINE  

DirtBug
  • 30 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 08:41 PM

Oh shoot I bought a bottle of this I was going to top it off with... its not hub oil but something tells me it would be okay to use.

https://images.searc...3/&action=click

#13 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,714 Thanks
  • 1,222 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 08:51 PM

Hi I would not use that, its for automatic transmissions, I'd return it for the hub oil or STP or just leave the trans with gear lube only in it.

#14 DirtBug OFFLINE  

DirtBug
  • 30 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted February 20, 2017 - 05:28 PM

Alright good deal thanks again!

#15 abu507 ONLINE  

abu507
  • Member No: 68410
  • 10 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 02:07 PM

Well my old dealer guy still sells parts couple hours a day. He said the 4 speeds need straight STP not like the 3 speed. Gears are slowed down by it to shift without grinding??? These were weak spot of the fiberglass power kings.

• DirtBug said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transmission, level, amount