• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TomFoolery OFFLINE  

TomFoolery
  • Member No: 85798
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 06:36 PM

Just looked at a BX1870 about 5 years old and 198 hours on it.  Comes with a 54" belly mower and a class 1 3 point hitch.  Price is $6700 + tax.  Looks to be in great condition so I believe the hour meter is true.  This is 18HP Diesel, hi-low range hydro 4 wheel drive.  I can get a new front end loader for about $2600.  This model will NOT accept a back hoe.  The salesman claims that with "teeth" on the loader bucket you can actually get some digging done, especially pointing the teeth down and dragging it backward then forward to scoop.  A link to new ones here: http://www.kubota.co.../bx70/bx70.aspx

Any thoughts on this?  Even if I don't get a loader I'd think as a lawnmower it should last me a lifetime (I'm 55).  With the 54" mower deck it will barely fit on my current trailer.  I forget if this model has a locking rear but I took it down in a ditch at an angle until 1 wheel would spin, then put it into FWD and it pulled me right out and up a decent incline even with turf tires (with slightly wet grass).

#2 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 579 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 07:46 PM

I have the BX2660 and it is amazing what these little workhorses will do. The price appears in the ballpark. At the risk of whatever the moderators can do you should explore http://www.orangetra...lks.com/forums/ for better answers for Kubota specific questions.
  • TomFoolery said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,375 Thanks
  • 9,736 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 07:54 PM

You won't find a used 1870 for under $8,000 around here. I think a bare tractor with no attachments or implements would be higher priced than what you quoted above.

Or

Maybe I should look around before I type:

https://mankato.crai...5999676043.html

Edited by Cat385B, February 13, 2017 - 07:57 PM.

#4 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,349 Thanks
  • 1,089 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 10:37 PM

Digging in packed dirt with a tractor mounted front end loader is usually a slow process. I use a ripper tooth on the three point to loosen it up first then I don't need bucket teeth. Don

#5 TomFoolery OFFLINE  

TomFoolery
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 07:34 PM

I have the BX2660 and it is amazing what these little workhorses will do. The price appears in the ballpark. At the risk of whatever the moderators can do you should explore http://www.orangetra...lks.com/forums/ for better answers for Kubota specific questions.

Kabota has this 7 year Zero interest financing (only good for 3 more days) so I ended up getting a new 2370 with a 54" deck and a loader and the bar type tires.  I've never had a new car in my life so I figured I deserved this.  Been doing some much needed work around this place and this is really handy.  Since it has no backhoe I got the "teeth" for the front loader and they work pretty darned good!  Today I was doing some real digging and spreading dirt around the garage.  I'm really bad at remembering which way to move the handle for the loader so that slowed me down a lot.  I also bought a sub-soiler that isn't in yet.  With no backhoe I thought that could be a handy tool for loosening dirt, rock, at least dig around a tree stump so I can cut it low.  I need to get a plate for underneath to keep small branches and stuff from going into a plastic fan for the hydro.  Or I'll probably make one since shipping will probably be a lot.  If anyone has a picture of one mounted underneath I'd like to see what bolt holes to use.  I've scared myself with it a couple times, I thought it would tip over.  I put it sideways on a slope and it doesn't take a whole lot to rock it enough for the uphill rear tire to leave the ground.  The tires are already filled with I think 90% alcohol and 10% water.  They claim it doesn't rust/corrode the wheels like the old stuff.

Any tips for me to stay safe on this thing would be appreciated, and some help for the bottom brush guard too.

#6 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 443 Thanks
  • 240 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 09:52 AM

http://bxpanded.com/BX-under-armor

Enjoy your new tractor. Mine isn't new but I sure do like it.

• KennyP and TomFoolery have said thanks

#7 TomFoolery OFFLINE  

TomFoolery
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for the link!  It looks like a lot more than I was going to made so maybe I'll buy one.  Which model do you have?  Don't know if I rambled on so long my fear of tipping it over got lost in the message.  My tires are filled but I want to get wheel weights too if they will stabilize it more.  I was doing a little digging at a 90 degree angle to the driveway which is on a hill and the one time I lifted the bucket high and scared the crap out of me.  I'm certain the uphill rear wheel was off the ground.  (I dropped the bucket fast)  I turned it off and pushing on the roll bar up high I could easily lift that tire off the driveway, and that isn't the steepest part of the driveway.  There I will without a doubt have to work parallel to the driveway going up or down hill.

One more question, on this group is there a way to set it to alert me by email when someone replies to my post?

#8 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • 443 Thanks
  • 240 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 05:57 PM

I've got a 2004 Bx2200.

http://gardentractor...-kubota-bx2200/

Pretty sure I have the service manual for your new toy, I mean tool, if you want it.

#9 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • 443 Thanks
  • 240 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 07:49 PM

Check your PM's Mr. Foolery.

#10 TomFoolery OFFLINE  

TomFoolery
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 10:32 PM

Check your PM's Mr. Foolery.

Got the message, thanks!  Although I also got manuals with it from the dealer that I *think* cover everything.

• bh115577 said thank you

#11 TomFoolery OFFLINE  

TomFoolery
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 10:34 PM

I ordered the under armor today.  Real friendly guy who I suppose runs/owns the place too.

• bh115577 said thank you

#12 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 579 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 08:53 AM

I have the Bxpanded protective plate on my BX2660 and it is simple to install and remove if you need to mow. Do you have weight on the 3 point hitch? I have a counter weight I made with some old cast iron weights and a drawbar for the lift arms. My loader will quit before the rear lifts up. I have not filled my tires due to the different uses where I don't want the weight. Also remember that the higher you lift the more unstable it becomes.

#13 IRQVET OFFLINE  

IRQVET
  • Member No: 85714
  • 56 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 10:36 PM

I hate threads without pics . . .  :D