OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 11:28 PM

I put that tiller up on Craigslist on the 2nd.

Got one call on it on the 4th and another on the 5th. Both callers seemed to be serious about buying it. I did tell the 2nd that I had given the 1st caller right of first refusal, but if 1st decided not to buy it or not show up when he said he would (today) that he was next on the list.

First caller showed up today. Since it was still mounted on the G10, I could show that it did indeed work. Gentleman was happy, so tiller was dis-mounted, put in the bed of his PU, and it's now on the way the West "by God" Virginia.

Turns out that he was up in this area visiting friends/relatives. Said that he had been looking for a tiller for quite some time, and there was no haggling over $$.

Personally, I thought that I had it priced a bit high at 200.00 to allow for a bit of haggling, and was prepared to let it go for around 150.00-175.00. But, neither caller mentioned anything about the asking price when I talked to them on the phone, so maybe I wasn't out of line like I thought I was.

Pulled the ad from Craigslist, and called 2nd caller to let him know that it had sold. I kinda hated to do that in a way, as I had the feeling that 2nd caller was very serious about buying it too, and seemed pretty disappointed that he missed out on it.

I did tell 2nd caller about this site, and that he might stand a decent chance of finding one here. Like me, he's in NE OH, so I know that there are a few Bolens types not too awfully far away.

This was the first time I had tried selling anything on Craigslist and I was really surprised. After hearing some of the CR horror stories, I had prepared my self for lots of emails, scam artists, etc. etc. Didn't happen. I got 2 calls from 2 BUYERS, and no, repeat NO emails. Guess I'll try selling the CC 621 lawn mower next.

#2 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 07:34 AM

I'm glad you were able to sell your tiller, AND get a few more buck than you anticipated!

I have had good luck with CL, both buying and selling.

That was decent of you to let caller #2 know that #1 had bought the tiller. I hope we see #2 here!

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 08:34 AM

Sounds like the tiller is going to a good home.
I'm surprised there was no haggling. Usually the round backs dont sell for over $150

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 09:01 AM

Glad it sold so quickly.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 03:11 PM

I'm glad that you got it sold OldBuzzard! I haven't tried to sell anything on craigslist yet, but I have bought several things from there with no trouble at all. I have a few items I want to get rid of when I get to the other side of my clubs show in a week and a half. I think I'll give it a whirl!

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 03:43 PM

I have had mostly good experiences on CL, buying and selling, but you just have to use common sense with the replies you get. Glad you got it sold so quickly and for more then you thought.

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 05:36 PM

I have bought a few things on CL as well, and have been happy with the results.

I listed it the way I would like to see others list. I included my phone number. I specified that I would not read or reply to emails. I said that I would accept payment in cash, cash, or cash :D

I really hate it when the seller doesn't give a phone no, and then when you use email, they don't even bother to reply.

As for calling the 2nd caller to advise him that it had been sold, I just saw that as common courtesy. Now if I would have gotten 25-30 calls, maybe I wouldn't have done that, but since he was the only other caller, it just seemed like the proper thing to do.

I was especially suprised that there was no haggling. I pretty much expected it, and in a way was looking forward to a bit of "gitten down in the mud and a rasselin over the price".

Guess I'll get that Cub Cadet self-propelled cleaned up a bit and list it.