• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CraftsmanGT OFFLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 205 Thanks
  • 247 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 04:26 PM

Picked up the tiller I bought a few months ago. Any tips on running one of these? I've never tilled with a tractor before, just a John Deere 524 front tine.

IMG_20170213_151111.jpg
  • Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,218 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 04:55 PM

Nice, The only thing you really need to get rid of is that JD seat! :poke:

Go slow in low gear and make multiple passes , these round back tillers were actually considered "Light duty" and were not meant to break up virgin soil but if the ground is fairly soft or has already been a garden for a while you will be fine.

• blackjackjakexxix, 29 Chev, CraftsmanGT and 1 other said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,409 Thanks
  • 8,446 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 04:57 PM

Relax and take your time. Let the machine do the work. Only dig in about 2" in depth for the fist pass and a little deeper with each subsequent pass. If you can, run a mouldboard plow through the area first to cut roots a lift up rocks. Good Luck, Rick

• blackjackjakexxix, stiemmy, 29 Chev and 2 others have said thanks

#4 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,723 Thanks
  • 1,988 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 05:32 PM

What 2 previous post stated is exactly right,you will be impressed with the job it will do,looking at your pic,might just be a tad early for planting,lol
  • stiemmy, 29 Chev and CraftsmanGT have said thanks

#5 Doug E. OFFLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 197 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 09:41 PM

If you have never tilled with a tractor before, you are in for a pleasant surprise.  If your only experience has been behind an "arm jerking out of the sockets" walk behind, you will probably be tempted to enlarge the size of the garden, or volunteer to help the neighbors till their gardens, just to have more time on the tractor tilling.  I'll guarantee that you will be spoiled,  but suspect you will marvel at how wonderful it is to till with the tractor compared to your previous experiences. 

Beware letting the wife, kids, or neighbors till.  squelch that right off.  Let them know that this is a job for a competent operator to run the machine who understands the task at hand and the capabilities of the tractor.  Make sure you keep a serious look on your face and not a foolish silly grin.  You don't want to let anyone to think that this is in any way fun, but that it is a task to endure to compete the project.  Make sure you gently remind the wife that she owes you for fitting this into your schedule.   

As far as the technical advise previously, I agree. 

Regards,

Doug

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 4 others have said thanks

#6 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,451 Thanks
  • 1,796 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 10:24 PM

If you have never tilled with a tractor before, you are in for a pleasant surprise.  If your only experience has been behind an "arm jerking out of the sockets" walk behind, you will probably be tempted to enlarge the size of the garden, or volunteer to help the neighbors till their gardens, just to have more time on the tractor tilling.  I'll guarantee that you will be spoiled,  but suspect you will marvel at how wonderful it is to till with the tractor compared to your previous experiences. 

Beware letting the wife, kids, or neighbors till.  squelch that right off.  Let them know that this is a job for a competent operator to run the machine who understands the task at hand and the capabilities of the tractor.  Make sure you keep a serious look on your face and not a foolish silly grin.  You don't want to let anyone to think that this is in any way fun, but that it is a task to endure to compete the project.  Make sure you gently remind the wife that she owes you for fitting this into your schedule.   

As far as the technical advise previously, I agree. 

Regards,

Doug

That's frinkin awesome!
  • blackjackjakexxix and CraftsmanGT have said thanks

#7 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,105 Thanks
  • 913 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 12:13 AM

Noticed your profile Deer Park. I was there 2 days ago, foot and a half of snow every where. Then saw WI  Not WA ok I understand. Like they said above use the tiller ti till the ground. Not to break fresh garden.  Don

• CraftsmanGT said thank you

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,827 Thanks
  • 4,734 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 05:41 AM

Another piece of advice.

Since you have the 'Armstrong Lift', make sure to have an extra helping of Wheaties in the morning before you use it.

It takes a lot of 'grunt' to raise that rascal.

I used one just ONE time and immediately went on the hunt for a hydro Lift Kit. :D  :D  :D

Edited by OldBuzzard, February 14, 2017 - 05:43 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix, 29 Chev, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#9 CraftsmanGT OFFLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 205 Thanks
  • 247 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 05:23 PM

I tried it out this afternoon. Took it easy going down 1" at a time, it works great.

IMG_20170321_165852.jpg
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#10 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 407 Thanks
  • 416 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 07:01 PM

Another piece of advice.

Since you have the 'Armstrong Lift', make sure to have an extra helping of Wheaties in the morning before you use it.

It takes a lot of 'grunt' to raise that rascal.

I used one just ONE time and immediately went on the hunt for a hydro Lift Kit. :D  :D  :D

That's what happened to me too. Plus bending my manual left lever with the danged tiller.