• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bear67 OFFLINE  

bear67
  • Member No: 85880
  • 31 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 08:46 PM

Really nice running 1630 followed me home today with belly mower, blade, breaking plow, disk and cultivator feet.  Looking forward to cleaning up and painting and letting grand kids show at local shows.  All it needs now is brake work and that is just mechanical.

1.  Is there a serial number list where I can determine year of manufacture?  Or should I try to date it by code on motor.  ?

2.  What is the correct color for the red and yellow paint.  Paint Code or off the shelf available paint.  Mine is a Farmall Red which appears light from what I see on net.  ??

3.   Source of quality vinyl decals?

Any help on this one is appreciated.  I have restored tractors and farm engines for many years, but this is my first Speedex and none in our local shows (Texas) recently.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1630-1.JPG

• hamman, stiemmy and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#2 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 09:56 PM

I haven't seen a SN list.  If your SN is 12 digits beginning with 1630 the last four digits may be the year and month of manufacture.

I read somewhere where Speedex didn't have a standard red and the tractors varied.  I also believe that sometimes they did other colors (I've seen a blue 1630 that was supposed to be factory paint).  Yours does appear to be a bit lighter than my 1631.  For yellow are you talking about the wheels?  I think the wheels were whatever color the wheel manufacturer used.  The later tractors seem to have white wheels.

I believe glgrumpy has done some restorations.  Hopefully he will chime in with suggestions for paint and decals.

• bear67 said thank you

#3 bear67 OFFLINE  

bear67
  • 31 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 10:34 PM

Thanks

Mine has been repainted with IH/Farmall Series II red and no hardner, so it has faded a bit.  I got this from the second owner and he thought the original color was a more maroon or deeper red.

#4 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 07:46 AM

I think he's right.  You can compare to my 1631 which I'm sure is original paint.  Paint looks the same under the hood so I don't think it's faded much.

IMG_20170103_134428542.jpg

BTW, you'll notice that other than the sheet metal mine is black.  I think that was something they only did in the late years.  The earlier tractors seem to be red all over.

Edited by MiCarl, February 13, 2017 - 07:48 AM.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,462 Thanks
  • 7,820 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 08:28 AM

Nice Rig! What's wrong with the paint? Looks good in pictures.  Most old Speedex are a duller kinda IH early red paint. I don't like as well. Mine are painted New Holland Red. Have also used Massey Red, looks about same, and even some I've sold now, were the IH 1250 Red, newer color. My wheels are Safety Orange, a little diff, but OK. Yes, later rigs have White. I think the white looks better than that orig yellow any day. Don't know orig yellow, but bet is simple Safety Yellow.

ON decals, the guy that makes the best and you can buy ones you want off his sample list also is Mike Hamper. mhamper@ roadrunner.com  or  go to the web for Speedex at www.speedextractorinformation.com   There are pictures and manuals and info there. A little hard to figure out, just click on things and see where they go in site.

• jimbobbillyray and bear67 have said thanks

#6 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • Member No: 8857
  • 279 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 07:09 PM

When I painted a 1430 hood I used an International red by an aftermarket manufacturer. When I pulled the old decal off the front on the hood  and sprayed the paint on it was an exact match for the paint that was under the decal. I bought International red from another manufacturer and it was a bit lighter so it seams to vary from batch to batch. Floyd.

If you email  Mike Hamper and tell him you need decals for a certain model he will tell you what  you need and give you a price on them.  .

Edited by speedbird, February 13, 2017 - 07:18 PM.

• bear67 said thank you

#7 bear67 OFFLINE  

bear67
  • 31 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 09:50 PM

My serial number is 3935.  No other numbers on tractor tag.  It appears to be earlier model as it had the metal pan seat.  I am third owner and there is yellow paint under the white on wheels.  Also it is early B&S engine--tag is painted over, but judging by my experience with Briggs.  The paint looks ok on it until you look close.  PO did not sand enough and there are runs and ripples in paint.  My tractor friends might laugh at me if I put decals over it.  I have IH series I and II paint in stock. I had considered a Massey Harris red which is different from Massey Ferguson.  Have a few mechanical details to take care of, then I can sand and paint.   Need to sand blast some of the equipment.

Is there a market for used equipment--I have belly mower complete (with owners manual and installation instructions from mfg), breaking or moldboard plow, middle buster, cultivators, tool bar  with all clamps and blade and probably will not use any of it. 

Thanks for the help guys.

#8 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 07:30 AM

I don't think the mower has much value.  Rumor is they weren't that great to begin with and replacement blades are no longer available.  I recently passed up a decent condition 48" deck at $100.  I think it's still available........

I think the tool bar and implements probably have some value, there isn't a lot of cat 0 stuff out there.  A year ago I'd have given my eye teeth for a tool bar and plow if they were fairly local.

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,895 Thanks
  • 44,624 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 07:37 AM

I don't think the mower has much value.  Rumor is they weren't that great to begin with and replacement blades are no longer available.  I recently passed up a decent condition 48" deck at $100.  I think it's still available........

I think the tool bar and implements probably have some value, there isn't a lot of cat 0 stuff out there.  A year ago I'd have given my eye teeth for a tool bar and plow if they were fairly local.

I just build my own Cat 0 implements!

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,462 Thanks
  • 7,820 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 08:06 AM

Most Speedex items for rear are a bolt on type. Rear hitch is just a squarish loop of flat iron and a section in center that unbolts from it that is the center mount hole. You remove that section and the plows and other items bolt right on to the  same sides as that hitch did. 2 to 3 bolts on each side.  The deck looks pretty good compared to most I've seen. For blade, this is snow-blade for front?  Is it a heavy one that goes to rear axle area, or just a front mount type?  Being in Texas, guess I can't deal anyway, too far. But still, have a picture of it and mount?

#11 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 08:41 AM

Most Speedex items for rear are a bolt on type. Rear hitch is just a squarish loop of flat iron and a section in center that unbolts from it that is the center mount hole. You remove that section and the plows and other items bolt right on to the  same sides as that hitch did. 2 to 3 bolts on each side.  The deck looks pretty good compared to most I've seen. For blade, this is snow-blade for front?  Is it a heavy one that goes to rear axle area, or just a front mount type?  Being in Texas, guess I can't deal anyway, too far. But still, have a picture of it and mount?

In the picture there is a 3 point tool bar laying on the trailer.  I'm assuming he has the plows and cultivator that mount to that.

#12 bear67 OFFLINE  

bear67
  • 31 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 12:09 PM

It's raining here today, so will get some implement pictures when it drys up a little.  The toolbar  is indeed a 3 point with bolt on attachments.  I farmed with toolbar equipment for years and these are unique toolbar attachment clamps.  The blade is not snow blade, but heavier rear attached.  Also have the front bumper guard/extension.

The mower shows little wear and gearboxes have no play.  I don't need belly mower or attachments as I have larger tractors for that and most of my 2 acre yard is too steep for this little gem (slopes to the lake).   Might mount the moldboard on it to display and have considered building a 2 seat rear attachments the younger grand daughters can rid on.  I already have a kid trailer to pull behind trailer with 2 bus seats we use at shows and grand son uses at mud bogs.  These are the decisions that progress as we work on a new project.  I have 2 hit and miss engines on bench being rebuilt, an H John Deere in process of putting back together--engine and mag already re-built. Projects just keep an old man busy and out of the pool hall. 

#13 bear67 OFFLINE  

bear67
  • 31 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 12:11 PM

And I left out, I sure don't need a snow blade here.

#14 John44004 OFFLINE  

John44004
  • Member No: 88145
  • 20 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted August 28, 2017 - 08:07 PM

I'm looking for a complete 44 or 48in Mower for my 1630. Still available?