• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,603 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 01:53 PM

That's a fantastic find you have uncovered. I can only dream of finding a Bolens in that condition over here in the UK. Looking forward to seeing more photos of this gem of a find. Am I envious? You betcha!
  • stiemmy and 29 Chev have said thanks

#17 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 03:52 PM

I will definitely post more pictures, and a video once I get er home!;)
  • 29 Chev and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#18 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 04:12 PM

Nice find - that looks like a very clean, unmolested 1050.  The Large Frame tractors are definitely in a class by themselves but the tubeframes like the 1050 are definitely workhorses as well as being able to maneuver into tighter spots on a lawn that a Large Frame won't fit through.

The hood and transmission decals are an interesting discovery as the second 1050 I got years ago had the same style hood decal and the chrome decals for the shifter pattern and PTO lever.  The tractor hood had been painted with a brush and the tractor did not have the original engine (it had a 6 HP Honda mounted on it and a TRA12D Wisconsin in pieces with a broken camshaft) so I just assumed that someone had made one tractor out of two and had gotten the hood decals made but have always wondered about the newer style decals.  My 1050 has the later black coloured steering wheel the same as yours and also the return spring on the brake arm linkage (not sure when they added the spring).  The serial number on the tag was badly weather faded so I could never figure out the serial number but did take a few pictures of the decals and the ID tag before I repainted it which I will attach.  I am curious if the dash support on your tractor has the studs that the dash mounts on spot welded to the support and has a large operator, service / caution decal on the dash support below the dash like mine did.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Thank you!!!

I'm super stoked about this 1, no doubt.

I will certainly get you whatever info, or pics you need;)

Since you are obviously the guy who can make the seat cover situation happen, what do you think, try to redo this one, or just get 1 from you?
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#19 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 04:16 PM

That's a fantastic find you have uncovered. I can only dream of finding a Bolens in that condition over here in the UK. Looking forward to seeing more photos of this gem of a find. Am I envious? You betcha!

Thank you!!

I definitely was lucky to find this one. I had a line on 1 some time back that obviously fell through, but now looking back, I think that particular unit may have been redone at some point?? I am unsure if that other rig was redone, but either way, the old saying still holds true. Good things come to those who wait!
  • blackjackjakexxix and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#20 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,104 Thanks
  • 2,319 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 04:37 PM

Thank you!!!

I'm super stoked about this 1, no doubt.

I will certainly get you whatever info, or pics you need;)

Since you are obviously the guy who can make the seat cover situation happen, what do you think, try to redo this one, or just get 1 from you?

I sent you a PM regarding the seat cover.  I repaired and repainted my 1050 about three years ago (it is the one in my avatar) sadly I used regular brown paint rather than the metallic brown it should have been and at that time I used the older style hood decals and the chrome decals for the shifter and PTO and had the decal below the dash made - got them all from Nate at clickitandstickit .  Attached is a PDF with pictures of the decals I used - they are the same as what was on my 1050 except for the hood and the serial number I chose is one that I made up.

Attached Files

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, ClassicBolens and 1 other said thanks

#21 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,104 Thanks
  • 2,319 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 07:38 PM

Just noticed that the hood on your 1050 does not appear to have the area cut out on the right side for the exhaust - looks like the red stripe is continuous from front to back.  That was one of the reasons I thought that the hood on my 1050 might have been off of another tractor as it does not have the cut out either.  

• blackjackjakexxix, ClassicBolens and stiemmy have said thanks

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 08:07 PM

^^ I think that also fits the bill of the 1969 Models being furnished with the next years decals , Alot of the 1969 Models did not have cut outs in the hoods either , My 1969 850 does not have the hood cutout but also has "normal" decals for the era.

My best guess on this anomaly , is they had the new decals set for 1970 and on the final runs of the 69' tube frames instead of making another batch they just used what they had for the upcoming  year.

• wilberj, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#23 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 09:53 PM

^^ I think that also fits the bill of the 1969 Models being furnished with the next years decals , Alot of the 1969 Models did not have cut outs in the hoods either , My 1969 850 does not have the hood cutout but also has "normal" decals for the era.

My best guess on this anomaly , is they had the new decals set for 1970 and on the final runs of the 69' tube frames instead of making another batch they just used what they had for the upcoming  year.

Yes, you are correct. Just a straight cut hood where the exhaust is. I didn't look very close, but (I thought the pipe to the muffler was straight? ) I am somewhat sure the older style had an elbow, but I'm no expert, and could very well be wrong.

I also think the big decal below the dash was on this 1, but then again, it was cold, and I didn't scan the minor details much.

I am certain I have a home for my hydro lift now though:)
  • blackjackjakexxix and 29 Chev have said thanks

#24 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 382 Thanks
  • 351 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 10:09 PM

Amazing condition! Congratulations.

• stiemmy said thank you

#25 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 03:41 PM

Amazing condition! Congratulations.

Thank you!

I agree, she looks good;)

#26 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 10:15 AM

New Update,
I promised a new thread on this 1050 once in my possession, but it's not yet, so here is the skinny so far.

I am still waiting on picking this little rascal up. This was supposed to happen this weekend, but the seller, and I both agreed to wait. The weather, and roads here have unfavorable the last couple of days, and so now...we wait. Not only has it been snowing off, and on, but the roads haven't been getting any salt, and the winds have been less than desirable.

From a safety standpoint, it's just not worth it to have to drive, and it's to darn cold to mess with loading up a tractor that doesn't run.

When I go get it, you folks will know, cause Ill be posting picks right away;)
  • KennyP, 29 Chev, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#27 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,184 Thanks
  • 743 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 10:28 AM

Best to wait! With Something that nice and original it be a shame to drag it through the salt and slush an have it coated in crap by the time you got home. Salt is the devil!!! I luckily have been able to sneak home a few buys in between bad weather here in Eden ny.
  • Bolens 1000 and stiemmy have said thanks

#28 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8230
  • 268 Thanks
  • 145 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 11:54 AM

Best to wait! With Something that nice and original it be a shame to drag it through the salt and slush an have it coated in crap by the time you got home. Salt is the devil!!! I luckily have been able to sneak home a few buys in between bad weather here in Eden ny.

"Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success." - Napoleon Hill

That is a great looking classic Bolens and I'm sure it'll really sparkle like a gem after your loving attention.

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. Napoleon Hill
Read more at: https://www.brainyqu...c_patience.html

• stiemmy said thank you

#29 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 04:30 PM

"Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success." - Napoleon Hill

That is a great looking classic Bolens and I'm sure it'll really sparkle like a gem after your loving attention.
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. Napoleon Hill
Read more at: https://www.brainyqu...c_patience.html

I couldn't agree more;)

#30 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,603 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted February 26, 2017 - 05:19 PM

New Update,
I promised a new thread on this 1050 once in my possession, but it's not yet, so here is the skinny so far.
I am still waiting on picking this little rascal up. This was supposed to happen this weekend, but the seller, and I both agreed to wait. The weather, and roads here have unfavorable the last couple of days, and so now...we wait. Not only has it been snowing off, and on, but the roads haven't been getting any salt, and the winds have been less than desirable.
From a safety standpoint, it's just not worth it to have to drive, and it's to darn cold to mess with loading up a tractor that doesn't run.
When I go get it, you folks will know, cause Ill be posting picks right away;)

Patience is a great virtue! Looking very much to seeing more photos of the tractor when it's safely back at your homestead.
  • stiemmy said thank you