MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 04:50 PM

This June, our club is trying something different.
Instead of having a "Brand" featured, we are featuring Heirloom Tractors and Equipment.

(For those interested, it will be held Father's Day Weekend in Cochranton PA)

Now, what do I need from you...

If you'd be so kind to reply with a sentence or two that sums up what it means to YOU to have that heirloom (family) piece in your collection..

I need to write an article in a week and would really appreciate some quotes or words to work with.
  • KennyP, MFDAC, tiretrx and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 187 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 05:31 PM

As has been said in the past, everyone has a different idea of a trophy. I believe the same applies to an heirloom here as a tractor handed down to a family member, such as from father to son, might be as precious as a tractor past down from great uncle that is rare collectable. The father son machine may not be worth a ton of money, but rather have a ton of memories shared with it. I have a picture of my father who is 80 years young riding my GT he went to get with me and helped get it up and running. Memories are more value than anything in my book.

• MH81, KennyP, backwoods and 6 others have said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,743 Thanks
  • 4,897 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 06:32 PM

The most valuable thing about an heirloom tractor are the memories.

• MH81 and old coot have said thanks

#4 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,562 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 07:05 PM

My heirloom IS my tractor . It was not handed down to me . What was handed down was all of the information , education that came with the refurbishment of it with my dear Uncle . The memories I will always have of those hours we spent together working with each other to get certain things up to both of our vision of 'refurbished' .

You can put a price on a piece of equipment , but those moments when you have accomplished a goal with a loved one and can hear it run , and put it in gear are priceless.

And we don't say we worked hard at it , we laugh about how much fun we had doing it.

My Uncle passed down to me a Motorcycle .

005.JPG

This one ... He took me for a ride on this when I was 11 years old . I was in love with this bike as a kid and that was all I talked about for weeks after.

This is a family heirloom and he let me have it and do all the work to get it going again .

When I got it running , I loaded it up and brought it to him to take the first ride .

I tried  to tell him how much it meant to me , I sat in my garage one day looking at it with tears in my eyes because it means so much to me to have this , and to know that he thinks enough of me to let me carry this machine on and enjoy it for the rest of my life.

He tells me the storys of when he was young and doing crazy things with it (Bulldogging Deer in a field ) .

I spent the day with him today. We did a little 'picking' from some oldtimers he knew , didn't pick anything but looked and talked .

When it comes to an heirloom - You can put a price on it , it has a realistic monetary 'value' . But some things will never be sold .

And what is truly important cannot be bought.

• MH81, Newpaws493, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,601 Thanks
  • 7,325 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 06:45 AM

Both the Tri-Trac and Standard Walsh were my grandfathers , as a kid I only saw the Walsh used a few times . Those happened when we visited other then Sundays , no gardening on Sundays . The Tri-Trac I never remember out of the garage . Always had things piled around it . As a kid it looked HUGH in the garage with the lawn mowers , sand such . And all those attachments ! All  on angle iron shelves he build next to it . I would try to imagine how they would plow the field and use it for planting sweet corn .  I think another reason the Tri-Trac was so special was that my father went with my grandfather to buy it ( used in 1950 it's a 1957 )  that garage addition it was kept in my father help build . I don't remember a lot about my father , he died in 1964 when I was only 5 years old .  My grandfather would tell many stories about him until he's death in 1993 . I'm not sure if my son would value these but hope maybe even a fraction so he would keep them when I'm gone

• MH81 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#6 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,437 Thanks
  • 2,432 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 09:27 AM

H anded on down from the old to the young

E verytime you use it old memories are sprung

I n various conditions and colours these tractors do come

R efurbished or original hand to hand they are passed from

L asting reminders of people, places and times

O f sharing thoughts and lessons as things got done

O r simply passing some time with someone who was fun

M ay they always remind us of times with that special one

• Liberty, limebuzz, MH81 and 5 others have said thanks

#7 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 226 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 01:32 PM

I have a 1974 Montgomery Ward 16 gear that my grandfather bought new.  Everything about it brings back memories for me, the smell of it, the sound of the engine, and even the colors.  I spent a lot of time riding on the fender of it when I was little.  I have been attached to that tractor since I have been alive, my dad recently posted on FB a picture of me at about 3 years old on it for my 40th birthday,wishing me happy birthday and telling people they could still find me on it mowing my yard.  Might be time to go start it just to listen to it run...

My other is a 1957 Oliver Super 55 that belonged to my grandpa's brother.  I never knew him well, but he was very protective of the tractor.  When I purchased it from his widow, she told me after I loaded it, I was only the third person to ever run it.  She said her brother used it while they were on vacation, and she had to keep my great uncle from killing him when he found out.  Every ding on it tells a story, just wish I knew what those stories were.

• MH81, KennyP, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#8 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted April 08, 2017 - 08:06 PM

Just to do a follow up on this:

Here is the article you guys help me write.

Thank you very much.

Words of Heirloom Owners

By Alan Steadman with help from online forum members

I recently asked some online friends what having heirloom tractors or equipment means to them. Almost to a person, the response was “Memories”

Thru talking with my friends, they reinforced the idea that the Iron and Rubber is not what is important. Its the link to the past, the memories, the loved ones who are represented by the item. Every Ding, Dent, Scratch, and Modification is a story to be told.

Another thing that I was reminded of was how fiercely we hang onto these memory makers. Many will never leave their owners grasp so long as they can hold on.

As one person put it, “When it comes to an heirloom - You can put a price on it , it has a realistic monetary 'value' . But some things will never be sold .

And what is truly important cannot be bought.”

In response to my “What does and Heirloom piece mean to you?” question, another friend of mine wrote:

Handed on down from the old to the young

Every time you use it old memories are sprung

In various conditions and colors these tractors do come

Refurbished or original hand to hand they are passed from

Lasting reminders of people, places and times

Of sharing thoughts and lessons as things got done

Or simply passing some time with someone who was fun

May they always remind us of times with that special one

Remembering our past is a way to validate those who have passed and it reminds us that our time here has an impact.

Looking forward to our show, I want to thank each of you who will be willing to share the stories of your treasures and the memories these Heirloom pieces remind us of.

• DH1, DougT, Gtractor and 8 others have said thanks

#9 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,994 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted April 08, 2017 - 08:28 PM

I'm afraid my tractors aren't what could be called "heirlooms" but I sure get what this thread is about. I have my Mom's truck which at one time was our only possession besides a few small things we could grab when a flood washed our house away. No money can buy it while I am alive!

Wish I could see that show, Alan!

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, April 08, 2017 - 08:29 PM.

• MH81, KennyP, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#10 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,562 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted April 09, 2017 - 06:59 AM

That is a nice little article ! It sums up what many of us feel about 'things' .

I am honored that you chose that quote to put into this article . I gave it a lot of thought - almost hurt myself :D

• DougT, MH81, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks