• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 robin OFFLINE  

robin

• Member No: 144
  • 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 09:56 PM

i just bought a mf 12 for 200 dollars it came with a trailer mower deck snow blade and a cultivater so back to the question it will turn over but i need a new head because some jackass put a heilicoil in it and did a crappy job wondering how big a deal it would be to find one it is a tecumsheth and i would like to replace all the seals in the motor and piston and rings also all the seales for the hydrostat if you have any advice that would be great

thanx robin burgsma

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 10:06 PM

Robin,
The head should be findable used. Almost any Tecumseh 12 will have the right one. New parts are a different story. If the engine runs well after the head change, without undue smoke or leaks, you may want to leave well enough alone. Not that parts don't exist, just that they are getting rarer and the price is going up.

I've never looked at this as an option, but can the plug hole be enlarged and a larger based plug be installed? :anyone:

BTW, would love to see pics of your find. Especially the implements. Thanks.
  • robin said thank you

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 11:01 PM

Heads can be found pretty easily. Especially on ebay. Alan's suggestion about enlarging the hole to the next size up thread base plug would work too if you can do it. You can pick up used heads pretty cheap.
  • robin said thank you

#4 chjr69 OFFLINE  

chjr69

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3330
  • 5 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 06:34 AM

Hello I would check online for a used tractor parts shop in your area as you will need other parts down the road, as far as seals and rings if its not broke don't break it. Many good tractors have found there grave out back from somebody wanting to fix whats not broke.
Good luck
  • robin said thank you

#5 robin OFFLINE  

robin

• Member No: 144
  • 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 06:43 AM

does anybody know about the hydro drive how to rebuild it if it needs it it seams to have been leeking around the seams

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 06:55 AM

Robin, look in the manuals section for your Massey. Maybe one has been uploaded that will help answer some of your questions. I am not sure which hydro these have.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 06:58 AM

Congrats on the 12. Sounds like a great deal. I would clean the hydro up and check that all the bolts and fittings are tight. It's hard to tell where the oil is coming from unless you clean it up first. Someone may have spilled fluid when filling it or it could be overfilled causing it to loose fluid when hot.
I'm not sure what model hydro is in the 12 but they are very rugged and last a long time if properly maintained. I would clean it up and change the fluid/filter as a start. Then you can evaluate how it is operating. With this older equipment if it isn't broken you are best to leave it alone. I'm sure others will have more specific advise.

#8 greencoach47 OFFLINE  

greencoach47

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3236
  • 8 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 08:58 AM

Hi Robin, becouse the head is aluninum you may be able to drill the hole out larger, tap it and put a brass or bronze sleeve in it to get proper plug size. Check with a local machine shop.