Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

WHATS HAPPENING WITH THE PRICES OF OLD GTS?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,218 Thanks
  • 1,180 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 09:41 AM

...Our hobby is no longer predominantly gray haired men playing with old small tractors...

Doug

I feel left out, I imagine 637yeoman does too.

It's not just old men riding old tractors... there's some young guys here too. I mean age, not young at heart😂

Edited by Greasy6020, June 12, 2017 - 09:43 AM.

• adamjd200 said thank you

#17 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 04:07 PM

I have seen lots of "tractor flipping" locally, espically on Craigslist then at the Portland show.  Someone sells something just below market value or even way below to unload it.  And it shows up at a different dealers booth at a much higher price within the hour.  Good old "buy low....sell high" at its finest.   The best is to let your wallet do the talking.  Wouldn't be the first time I laughed at a guys price, asked him what he was smoking and walked away with the parting comment "good luck with that!"   I paid under $400 for a running and mowing Commando 8 Wheelhorse that was in really nice original condition with a good mower deck.  Up in Canada, anything older GT wise fetches higher prices than down here, supply and demand.  Less of them up there, so prices are higher.  Some areas of the USA, certain brands are "dime a dozen"    Wheelhorse, Cub Cadet and JD in my area.  And the deals are still out there, barn finds are still out there.   Just have to look harder and be willing to walk away if the owner is out in left field price wise.  If the seller seems like he might consider a lower price later, I will leave a business card and ask him to call if he decides to reconsider his asking price.   You just never know.   But if he is a jerk or an ass, then he gets the smart comments and I just walk/drive away and move on to the next tractor.    Its a hobby first and foremost, and not worth getting my blood pressure up just because someone is smoking ditch weed on his pricing.    Cheers  Mike

• sacsr and Doug E. have said thanks

#18 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 244 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 05:15 PM

I feel left out, I imagine 637yeoman does too.

It's not just old men riding old tractors... there's some young guys here too. I mean age, not young at heart

I didn't leave you out, I said predominately!  : ) 

I also didn't say old men, I said "gray haired men"!  Not all gray haired men are old.  I received my first offer for a senior discount when I was 42, what hair I had left was pretty gray.  After I got over the unintended insult, I have graciously accepted all offered senior discounts since!  ; )

D.

• olcowhand, MH81, Greasy6020 and 1 other said thanks

#19 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,957 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 05:48 PM

In all fairness Doug, it has been a long time since they were not valid.

#20 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,218 Thanks
  • 1,180 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 07:15 PM

I didn't leave you out, I said predominately! : )

I also didn't say old men, I said "gray haired men"! Not all gray haired men are old. I received my first offer for a senior discount when I was 42, what hair I had left was pretty gray. After I got over the unintended insult, I have graciously accepted all offered senior discounts since! ; )

D.

I know, I'm just joking around!

#21 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • Member No: 8857
  • 277 Thanks
  • 144 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 05:07 PM

The problem with antique GT's is the same as land. They ain't making anymore. Also each year some get scraped which reduces the supply even more. No increase in supply, more buyers equal higher  prices. The law of supply and demand. I hope when the time comes for me to start selling the demand is still there. Floyd.

• MolonLabe said thank you

#22 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 244 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 07:41 AM

The problem with antique GT's is the same as land. They ain't making anymore. Also each year some get scraped which reduces the supply even more. No increase in supply, more buyers equal higher  prices. The law of supply and demand.

I think there is a lot of validity to what you say, not just on well built GT's, but on any quality made equipment or tools.  More people are figuring out that the readily available tools today are not as good as older ones.  There is already more competition out there.  I'm still looking for an older quality spading fork that the tines don't bend on when I use it. 

D.

#23 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • Member No: 8857
  • 277 Thanks
  • 144 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 05:28 PM

I didn't leave you out, I said predominately!  : ) 

I also didn't say old men, I said "gray haired men"!  Not all gray haired men are old.  I received my first offer for a senior discount when I was 42, what hair I had left was pretty gray.  After I got over the unintended insult, I have graciously accepted all offered senior discounts since!  ; )

D.

When they would ask me if I qualified for a seniors discount I'd say " if you have to ask I must". Now no one asks. they just give it to me without asking,

• Doug E. said thank you

#24 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 07:22 PM

I also know lots of locals have gotten smart, usually its the mower deck that has rotted away to nothing but the rest of the tractor runs fine.  Many that came into the shops I used to work at would buy a ZTR for grass duty, and keep the GT for chores, snow removal ect.  Stuff a ZTR cannot do.  One cannot argue that a good quality ZTR cannot do a much better and quicker job at cutting grass.  Frees up time to enjoy the old tractors.  That said, I still cut 4-6 yards a week on a 1968 Wheelhorse Commando 8.  Just converted her to diesel power.  Several of the yards I mow, have a narrow single gate that my 36" rear discharge mower deck just barely fits thru.  And these are big enough yards that I would not want to push mow them in this heat and humidity.  Localy, Wheelhorse tractors are the most affordable, with older, turn key mowing tractors under $500 or just a tad above that(unless its a 520H or D series), IH cubs are usually a bit more if they have a good mower deck and JD's are higher yet.    Mike