Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

WHATS HAPPENING WITH THE PRICES OF OLD GTS?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,749 Thanks
  • 891 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 07:41 AM

I have been following craigs list and kijiji up here in Ontario and have noticed a considerable price increase over the last year or so in what people are asking  and what they are actually selling their older gts for, but give me a break $1500.00 for a wheel horse 312-8 in fairly decent condition, have people finally reallized that the new stuff only lasts 4-5 years before its a piece of  #!@* I really shoudn't complain as i sold some gts for 2-3 times what i thought they were worth ( i had asked for best offer not stipulating a price) but its getting harder to justify putting money into a restore when you have to pay so much to begin with, let alone trying to find parts which are no longer available

• boyscout862, Columbia236, HANKG and 6 others have said thanks

#2 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,861 Thanks
  • 1,248 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 08:20 AM

When times get tuff. People get unrealistic. Gotta list of crap to unload to save the farm. Everything has a price, unfourtunately what they think they can get, They can't. You'll never be a millionare selling garden tactors. You won't break even, Either.
  • Bolens 1000, backwoods, farmer john and 6 others have said thanks

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,490 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 08:35 AM

All of the GTs I have bought have been non runners or something broken on them. I pay $100-200 max. The ones I have then resold have went for $350-500....running and working. Quite a few hours labour involved in doing that. I bought this lot a year or so ago for $200. Saw the ad on KIJIJI and had to beat another guy to it. 

LGT 145-165 002.JPG  LGT 145-165 001.JPG

The non runners I see for $500+....or the running machines for big bucks, they can keep them......The deals are still around, just have to keep your eyes out. 

• Traill95, Columbia236, ericjr16 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,749 Thanks
  • 891 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 09:13 AM

yes there are some deals out there (meaning up north where you are! ha ha !) but i am down in southern ontario (the banana belt compared to where you are ha ha !) i use to go up to your neck of the woods and into owen sound but i have gotten older and to lazy to travel more than an hour from home. that said i would go anywhere to get a 56 rj with tags

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#5 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,984 Thanks
  • 3,293 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 10:04 AM

I think it depends what your selling and who your selling it to. The market for working GTs is different than the market for collectable one's, for instance I have sold WH RJs for twice the amount of what I paid for them sometimes even more. The trick is to finding the one's that are mostly complete, with some work and some paint its out the door they go, everyone's a buyer for them. Another good seller are the panzer tractors they are an easy restore and a testament to how well they were built, and no one can resist the turquoise paint. Working  GTs however are another story the market is saturated with them its easy to find a good worker for little money, say 300 350 that run well and get the job done and if taken care of can garner a sale price equal to the pay price. I also think more people have become aware of the value of older tractors thru shows, Ebay, and CL and the piece of junk they bought that's now sitting at the curb. And hey what's more than cool mowing your lawn with a vintage machine causing accidents with gawking passerby.

• propane1 said thank you

#6 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 247 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 10:42 AM

I don't think this phenomenon is just limited to garden tractors.  I answered an ad for a small diesel engine asking for photos and a model number.  The person was asking $3000.  Curiosity had gotten the best of me, as I wanted to know just what they had that was so valuable.  Turns out after I got pics, that it was about a 6hp engine that is often on ebay, over priced at a couple hundred bucks.  I pointed this out, and was told "make an offer".  I'm under the impression that the seller was just a "flipper", as they knew nothing about the engine, and was testing the water with a high price. 

I think this mode of selling is becoming more common. 

I am not one to dicker for the rock bottom price.  If your price is reasonable, I will usually pay it.  That being said, I am thrifty by nature, and don't like paying retail if I can avoid it.  I normally don't answer ads if the price is too far out of line, but with figuring out that prices are being set too high, I am responding and asking what their bottom line is.    I am finding people dropping the price often half or more of what the advertised price is.  Regardless on what the official word is on the economy, money is tight, and it appears to me that many sellers are not just getting rid of something they don't need, they are trying to get all they can for it. 

I also see stuff on craigslist that shows up on a periodic basis, that is over priced and never sells.  I have watched a Bolens H18xl tractor that has been on and off craigslist for at least 2 years.  Price has not dropped.  Apparently, they are looking to see if there is a new sucker out there every few months when the ad is put back up.  This is not limited to tractors, I see it in most of the stuff I watch for. 

However, as a general rule, I do notice the prices of used stuff going up.  As the prices of new stuff continues to go up, the prices of used stuff also tends to go up.  I have noticed on some specific items, that they sell used for more than they did new 25 years ago.  I saw a note recently that $100 today has the approx. same purchasing power as $10 in the late 60's.  Figures. 

There are still bargains, and I have managed to score some spectacular ones!  Good luck!

Regards,

Doug

• karel, Leonard VanCamp, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#7 Mustard Tiger ONLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • Member No: 84537
  • 81 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 11:46 AM

Yeah Ontario is pretty tough living right now, a lot of people can barely keep their lights on.  So people who are forced to sell things they really don't want to sell are looking to get as much for them as they can, not just GTs.  But there's definitely also an increase in people looking to use old machines too, which brings their value up.  When money is tight it is harder for people to justify spending $6000 on a modern GT that is less capable than what they could get off kijiji for $1000.  I watch all of kijiji nationally for GTs and I don't see a lot of working garden tractors for $300-350.  $350 USD is $450 CAD, you're going to be lucky to find a solid working machine with no deck for that price.  There's still occasional deals to be found, but damn do they ever get snatched up quick.

• karel said thank you

#8 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,988 Thanks
  • 3,862 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 02:59 PM

How about the price of these. They are not mine, but are located in my area. GT 14 wheel horse, with deck and thrower, $2200.00 or JD 455 with deck and blower, $7500.00. That's the way things are priced around here.

Noel

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,226 Thanks
  • 2,910 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 04:39 PM

Been seeing a bunch of mid 2000s hydro Craftsman GT6000s forsale for $1500-$1800 but lots of decent priced GTs forsale (just nothing close to me lol) and a BUNCH of Scams like this one rite here https://altoona.crai...6000296064.html

I've been looking for a Case 224 but prices are way out of my price range here.$800-$1500+ for just a tractor with deck.

Certain brands seem to be priced alot higher around here such as Case,Simplicity,Ford (the same Jacobson badged GT usually sell for 1/2 the price) Gravely,Wheel Horse and of coarse the green ones.3000 series Cub Cadets are still $2000+/- and attachments are $500-$1000

Edited by EricFromPa, February 12, 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#10 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • 1,861 Thanks
  • 1,248 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 08:51 AM

The most unrealisticly priced tractors I have seen are on e-bay. I've even seen the same item by the same seller on craigs list and they have had it on there cheaper. I've called em on it to.

• Alc said thank you

#11 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,992 Thanks
  • 1,467 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 09:07 AM

The most unrealisticly priced tractors I have seen are on e-bay. I've even seen the same item by the same seller on craigs list and they have had it on there cheaper. I've called em on it to.

with ebay and paypal fees of 13% most sellers do sell cheaper on Craigslist. no selling fees on CL
  • shorty said thank you

#12 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,614 Thanks
  • 17,955 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 11:55 AM

with ebay and paypal fees of 13% most sellers do sell cheaper on Craigslist. no selling fees on CL

Thats exactly right , I have to list my items on ebay about 10-15% higher than on my website to make up for all the fees ebay tacks you with. They really started to piss me off when they started charging sellers a final value fee % on your shipping cost!

• ClassicBolens and 29 Chev have said thanks

#13 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • 1,861 Thanks
  • 1,248 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 07:27 PM

I've never listed anything on e-bay. but I have had a sellers contact me to bypass e-bay's fees. And I will surely go private sale with them. Cut e-bay right out!

Edited by karl, February 13, 2017 - 07:31 PM.

#14 Kster526 OFFLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 738 Thanks
  • 478 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 08:13 PM

Many good thoughts. It is a shame that the get rich quickers ruin it for those of us who enjoy
the hobby and are just trying to finish a restoration. I don't be grudge anyone
making money but to exaggerate their prices is just ludicrous and also ruins it for the honest
sales people earning a living for their families. We've had this discussion on another website and
there are many similar thoughts there.

#15 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 247 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 08:56 AM

Since I posted on this topic, I think I have gained some additional perspective on another aspect that is driving prices of old GT's up. 

I regularly watch craigslist for Bolens in my area, but also sometimes the whole region, mainly out of curiosity to see what is getting sold, but also for specific stuff I am looking for.  What I have noticed is that Bolens at least, and I suspect most other GT's,  are on the radar for "flippers" to turn for a quick buck.  I saw one that came up on craigslist in the last few days that was sold at an auction I had attended.  The price in the ad was over 300% of what it went for at the auction.  I was at another auction that also had a couple of Bolens, and watched a couple of "flippers" trying to look up the models on their smart phones to see if they could figure out a value.  Just a couple of examples of what I have seen recently. 

I am aware that sellers tend to look at ads to see what others are advertised for to set their prices.  This tends to feed on itself if there are others with unrealistic pricing that are being used as a reference. 

Our hobby is no longer predominantly gray haired men playing with old small tractors, our hobby is also now a cash cow to be milked by disinterested opportunists.  

All that being said, I tend to pay what an item is worth to me, and not what others think something is worth.  I still think a well built vintage garden tractor is usually a bargain compared to the quality and price of the current new offerings!

Regards,

Doug

• karel said thank you