• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gears OFFLINE  

gears
  • Member No: 74309
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 07:42 PM

Hi guys, I picked up a 1200 something (decal is gone) Cub cadet, it's got the twin Kohler - stupid me used carb cleaner to wipe the grime off the engine decal, nice shiny foil now! I think it's a Magnum 18.

When I got it the crankcase was full of gas. Haven't fixed the needle and seat yet, just shutting the fuel off when not in use.

It smokes terrible at startup and even after it's been running for 30 minutes or so it will continue to smoke but not as bad.

It has 1014 hrs on it, the Left cyl head bolts weren't all torqued completely (found that when I pulled the starter to clean & fix the screeching bendix - should probably check the other side too). Some oil seepage at the bolt head inspired me to re-torque to 20ft/lbs - some went a turn or so, others were tight. Might it have burnt the head gasket.... in typing this I got to thinking, a flat head shouldn't have any oil there anyhow! Are some of the headbolt holes wet?

Is 1000+ hours time for a rebuild/repower or could it be residual crud in the muffler burning off?
edit.gif

#2 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,836 Thanks
  • 2,510 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 08:03 PM

Hi guys, I picked up a 1200 something (decal is gone) Cub cadet, it's got the twin Kohler - stupid me used carb cleaner to wipe the grime off the engine decal, nice shiny foil now! I think it's a Magnum 18.

When I got it the crankcase was full of gas. Haven't fixed the needle and seat yet, just shutting the fuel off when not in use.

It smokes terrible at startup and even after it's been running for 30 minutes or so it will continue to smoke but not as bad.

It has 1014 hrs on it, the Left cyl head bolts weren't all torqued completely (found that when I pulled the starter to clean & fix the screeching bendix - should probably check the other side too). Some oil seepage at the bolt head inspired me to re-torque to 20ft/lbs - some went a turn or so, others were tight. Might it have burnt the head gasket.... in typing this I got to thinking, a flat head shouldn't have any oil there anyhow! Are some of the headbolt holes wet?

Is 1000+ hours time for a rebuild/repower or could it be residual crud in the muffler burning off?
edit.gif

Sounds like bad rings and yes a rebuild or repower would be what it needs.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 293 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 08:14 PM

A leak down test of the piston rings will tell the engine's condition. The kind of tester that uses compressed air. The muffler is full of fuel/oil mix. Hours don't matter, how much dirt has gone through the cylinders is key. Excess air past the piston rings is wasted horsepower and has to go out the block breather, which is a one way valve trying to keep negative pressure in the crankcase for oil control. 

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,094 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 09:28 PM

Fuel pump diaphragm blown or leaking and causes gas to get into oil??  I think any older layed down cylinder engine just seems to collect oil in cylinders when off, running down to bottom as it cools, is there to smoke when started,  I have newer V-twin kohler in my JD and it always smokes at first when starting, then clears up. Not a lot of hours on it even. 

#5 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 10:34 PM

If it was run very long with gas in the oil before you bought it there's likely scoring in the bores and possible rod and crank journal damage.

Mike

#6 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,487 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 10:45 PM

I have a Cub 1811 that was given to me.  It has the kohler Mag. 18.  I had to replace the fuel pump because it leaked gas into the oil, replaced the head gaskets and flattened the heads using wet sand paper on a piece of glass, removed carbon from piston and valves, rebuilt the carb, and pressure wash the engine before I ran it.  Mine will smoke a little upon first start up and doesn't smoke when running.  I also started adding Marvel mystery oil to the fuel to help remove carbon from around the rings.

Before you spend any money on a rebuild kit I would try what I tried and also do a compression check.  I've been told by others that these engines are known for damaging head gaskets and warped heads. 

Good luck!

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#7 goldstar OFFLINE  

goldstar
  • Member No: 83800
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 12:57 AM

1000 hrs. is probably 15 yrs. or more for normal homeowner use. But if it was well maintained as i do 

my machines, it may not need to rebuilt yet. You said the fuel tank was full when you got it, but you

don't know  how long it has been there or what is in it. I would drain the fuel tank , rinse it out with a 

little fresh gas & refill it. Then change the oil with a good grade of non detergent 30w oil. I always

use 30w Pennzoil. Then change the fuel filter & clean or change the air filter. If that doesn't fix it,

then i would pull the heads, clean & inspect every thing. Clean the threads on the head bolts so they 

so they will torque  properly. Check the compression, if it is a lot lower than specs and it still smokes

pretty bad, then rebuild.                                                                                                     

GOOD LUCK !

#8 goldstar OFFLINE  

goldstar
  • Member No: 83800
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 01:25 AM

I'm sorry, i read your post wrong yesterday. I thought you said the fuel tank was full when you got it.

I had a Briggs 17.5 hp that had the same problem. I changed the oil & fixed the carb & put a new head gasket on it & it has run fine ever since.Sorry about the misreading, must have been sleepy then.

GOOD LUCK AGAIN!!!