• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 DirtBug OFFLINE  

DirtBug
  • Member No: 85877
  • 30 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 06:11 PM

Hi guys, got a new toy and I gotta say I'm addicted. I like tinkering and it wasn't getting a spark so I changed the points, condenser, and plug (all it needed was points adjusted). Also changed the spark plug wire cus it wasn't getting full continuity. Changed the air filter, oil and greased all the fittings.

Here's where I'm at now, plowing the other day happy as can be and got stuck, let her sit for a while and then when I came back it would only start with the clutch engaged and when I let go it died. Let it warm up and started moving like normal. Thoughts on this?

Also I was curious if there is a way to drain the transmission or do I need to pump it out?

Thanks guys!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170211_170351.jpg
  • IMG_20170211_170418.jpg

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,421 Thanks
  • 7,231 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 06:33 PM

Welcome to GTTalk ! Nice tractor you have.
  • DirtBug said thank you

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,713 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 06:45 PM

Hi DirtBug, welcome to the group and to PK ownership, per your tractor's SN its a 1984 model year looks like its 1614 and it has a 4 speed transmission, the cold starting could be to the carb being a little lean did you try using some choke until it warmed up. There are manuals available for download from the site, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the trans case, be sure to read the owners manual about servicing the trans don't over fill it, if you didn't get a manual there maybe one available here if not I may be able to upload one for you.

I have a 1984 1618 with the 4 speed and really like it it a great tractor.

Edited by MNGB, February 12, 2017 - 01:29 PM.

• Alc, boyscout862 and DirtBug have said thanks

#4 pharmer ONLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 848 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 07:09 PM

Welcome. Nice tractor. What part of Ct you from ?
  • boyscout862 and DirtBug have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,838 Thanks
  • 8,680 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 08:34 PM

The carb may need cleanning and adjusting. Add Marvel Mystery oil to your gas. It works wonders for older engines. Add wheel weights or a rear hitch counterweight to improve traction. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 11, 2017 - 08:34 PM.

• DirtBug said thank you

#6 DirtBug OFFLINE  

DirtBug
  • 30 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 09:10 PM

Thanks guys! I'm from SE CT in Pawcatuck, born and raised. Just bought a house with a little bit of land and figured I couldnt pass this thing up. Now explaining the difference between the riding lawn mower and a garden tractor to my girlfriend... that's another story.

It could be the carb but I thought I had it in the higher rpms, definitely seemed somehow related to the clutch but maybe it just needed more time to warm up.

All of the fluids are thick as molasses and I believe oil gets thin if it's run too long but they are definitely past due. Picked up some travellers brand 80/90 transmission fluid from tractor supply, anyone use this stuff? I figured any things better than what's in there.

Anyways as a hobbyist it's great to see such a community of like minded people I've learned so much reading the forums. I'll search for that manual on here thanks for the offer MNGB.
  • Alc, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,354 Thanks
  • 7,733 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 09:37 PM

PK's are good tractors, easy to work on. The 4spd is a little diff tho on the metal tractors, watch for the references to those and don't confuse with 3spd refrerences. The clutches are a little smaller in the center bores, trans shaft smaller, but that is about it. Clutch in or out should have no difference on starting that I know of. Don't think these had safety switches yet??  If the pto clutch is ON, then you won't get it to crank. Pto off, some 4 spds later had Neutral switch, yet think that is for plastic body later, should go.

• DirtBug said thank you

#8 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,260 Thanks
  • 4,251 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 12:23 AM

Hi DirtBug, welcome aboard!   :wave:

• DirtBug said thank you

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,838 Thanks
  • 8,680 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 12:34 AM

I spent time on South Anguilla Road in 1975. Is Bill's Tractor still there?

Read the manual. Some of those transmissions used straight 30w oil because they didn't really get hot. A lawn tractor is for mowing lawns and light towing work. They generally have verticle shaft engines and are light weight.

Garden tractors are heavier duty with horizontal shaft engines. They are designed to handle ground engaging attachments. There have been some PK attachments on Craigs List this winter. Check the manual to see which models will fit your PK.

If the wife is interested, get her an LT for doing light yard work. My wife's was a freebie I picked up years ago. I had to service it and get a new battery for it. Made her happy.

Starting in April there will be tractor get togethers in Eastern CT. Watch for the postings on here. Good Luck, Rick
  • Bolens800uk and DirtBug have said thanks

#10 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,663 Thanks
  • 4,191 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 06:33 AM

:welcometogttalk: 

#11 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,465 Thanks
  • 2,659 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 07:19 AM

Welcome aboard,nice looking PK you have. 

#12 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,574 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 07:52 AM

Welcome to the forum from ny
  • DirtBug said thank you

#13 DirtBug OFFLINE  

DirtBug
  • 30 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 08:41 AM

Thanks Rick, small world! Yes bills tractors is still down the road those guys are great. I'll tell her the difference between vertical and horizontal shafts engines and see if that helps haha.

Glgrumpy, my second thought was maybe it was stuck in two gears at once? I read a post about that on here sounded like similar problem. Not sure if I have the same issue with the shifter end being worn and jumping the track but I bought some calipers and was going to check it out.

#14 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,713 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 10:46 AM

Hi Dirt, the trans was not in 2 gears if it was the tractor would still sitting where is was, You maybe be confusing the older 3 speed (T92 trans) with the 4 speed two completely different trans and I've never read about a 4 speed having the shifter problem of the 3 speeds but could have missed it. Do not take the 4 speed apart without a manual is is  much more complex then the simple 3 speeds. If I were to guess I'd say the drag of the trans lube was the problem when you held the clutch in the trans wasn't turning so no drag there is no neutral safety switch the 84's should have had a seat safety switch but it only had to do with engaging the PTO not starting

• DirtBug said thank you

#15 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,713 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 11:46 AM

Hi here's a supplement for the 4 speed trans it shows the drain plug and how to service the trans, many mix the 80 / 90wt gear lube 50/50 with STP of which I'm one it does make the trans shift a bit smoother..

Attached File  4-speed transmission supplement.pdf   623.87KB   50 downloads

Edited by MNGB, February 12, 2017 - 11:47 AM.

• DirtBug said thank you