12 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,415 Thanks
  • 5,825 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 06:03 PM

Went up North about 120 miles and picked up the 775 with thrower and deck morning.   LF tire was flat and would not hold air, no gas, etc,etc.  Overall it didn't look to bad for a 48 yo machine.  Been re-motored twice.  Has a '95 12.5 Briggs in it now.  Seat is a little rough but that can be replaced.  Dash has some extra holes in it.  Steering wheel is nice.  Has some bar cut out of the grill for a previous engine I guess?  Bushings were good in the front wheels.  Free wheel pin was loose and complete - surprise surprise !  Only bad tire is the LF - need a tube or replaced.  Hydro oil was full, engine oil was just on the stick and that is all. 
About what I expected after see the place.  Tire chains are good and regular GT type though the left one is on backwards.  Have both wheel weights and believe they are Bolens.  Center emblem is long gone and did no see any markings on them.

Deck need a couple bolts and a good cleaning.  Other than that it is good.  Even the blades are decent.

Thrower is in good condition.  Needs some skid shoe work and a little straightening on the augur in a couple place - nothing serious. Couple dings on the leading edge of the chute throat.  Outside is smooth and no dings etc.  Paint and decal are good on everything for the age.  Hard to read the model and serial #'s but think I got it figured out.  Tractor is a 166-02, 1969 with a '95 B&S engine. Thrower is model 18002-02 and the deck is 18001-01.  From the numbers I could read and matching up with the attachment chart, that is what I came up with any way.

Will replace some control cables, gas line, change oil  - the usual stuff on a  just found tractor and should fire it up tomorrow.

On the way up and back spotted two cubs in aback yard.  One is an older one and has been there a while.  The other is up against a shed with junk piled in front and back of it.  Will remember that may want to go for a drive one of these weekends.

166-1.JPG    166-2.JPG    SF Thrower-1.JPG   SF Thrower-2.JPG

Edited by chieffan, February 11, 2017 - 06:07 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, LPBolens and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,588 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 06:06 PM

looks like a fun project!

• chieffan said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,223 Thanks
  • 17,847 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 06:17 PM

Dosent look to bad, glad it went to someone who will enjoy it and care for it.

#4 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,117 Thanks
  • 722 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 07:25 PM

I don't see many or even any of them pop up for sale in my area. It be nice to find one in original shape for my little guy when he's older. It be like a mini me bolens lol!
  • LPBolens and chieffan have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,149 Thanks
  • 7,584 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 09:42 PM

Looking at  pix, seems kind funny how same design ideas as bigger units, but just the fender pan is smaller, frame smaller, wheels smaller, engine smaller, but still looks like a Bolens!  I'm not familiar with these at all, first time hearing of Vert engined one for me.  Will be watching the follow-ups!

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,415 Thanks
  • 5,825 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 08:21 AM

It is going to take a little work and lot of time to get it in runable condition.  Lot of little stuff, like the muffler routing and the wire bracket, chunk of carpet between the gas tank and battery, control cables replaced, etc.  But I got a good little vise grip in the deal !  This one won't get used much, especially the deck and thrower.  Cleaned up, touch up paint  and on a pallet back in the machine shed.  This the first one I have seen or even heard of.  Never knew the small frames were vertical shaft as I never paid any attention to them.  This one might pull a wagon or yard cart around but that is about it.  Didn't get a pic of it but the plastic holder for the manual is in good shape and on the back of the seat.  Decal says to replace the operators manual from Bolens or your local dealer.

• Gtractor said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,149 Thanks
  • 7,584 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 12:23 PM

Manual in holder on back of seat, ha! Sounds like Forktrucks at work. They Never Leave that space! 

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,415 Thanks
  • 5,825 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 01:37 PM

Made some progress this morning.  Removed the shroud and cleaned it out and the top of the engine as best I could.  Got the recoil cleaned and back working.  Fresh oil, front axle bolt tightened up to get the slop out of the axle.  Carb cup off and soaking in PB Blaster.  Some hard rusted junk but nothing loose so hoping the carb is OK.  Have some wore holes in the steering arms, prob never been oiled.  Replaced the throttle cable and tied some wires out of the way.  Going after a battery and some slime now so should be ready to fir up when I get back. Small tread leak in the front tire so will slime it for now.  Not in the mode to fight a 6" tire.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,415 Thanks
  • 5,825 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 05:09 PM

Quit at 4:00 pm and have it running.  Engine runs good, hydro runs good and smooth, steering is a little loose and stiff yet.  Looseness can be taken care of with a bushing in the tie rod or build up the pin and shape it down.  Gas tank was clean, filter was OK.  Fuel shutoff don't leak nor does the carb.  Got the rusty crud out of the carb bowl.  All in all I am happy with the deal.  Even got the cook out to drive it.  She usually don't want much to do with driving them but she liked this one.  Simply with throttle, steering and foot pedal.  She will learn the parking brake later.  Have  NW wind blowing and it is a cold wind so didn't wash it down yet.  Worked in the garage with the big door up so the sun could shine in.  Not bad working in there.

• Gtractor, LPBolens, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,415 Thanks
  • 5,825 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 08:35 AM

Talking 53° for the high today so will get things washed up good this afternoon.  After closer inspection on the thrower seen where it was used hard and abused.  I think they cleared rock drives with it set clear down.  Wonder the gear box took it but there is now play between the drive pulley and the augur turning.  Augur was run up against concrete and got the edge ground up some.  May run the angle grinder on that area to flatten it and get rid of the sharpness.  Will get pics after it is all washed up good.

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,415 Thanks
  • 5,825 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 04:40 PM

Finished it up today.  Gave it a good bath.  Rebuilt the end of the steering arm where it was wore down where it goes in the hole on the top of the spindle.  Re-did the throttle cable as I didn't get it long enough to choke it.  Need to figure out why the parking brake pedal don't return.  Parts break down don't show a spring on it but think it is going to get one.  Everything tucked away in the machine shed.  Ready for the next project.

Cleaned Up-1.JPG    Cleaned Up-2.JPG    Ccleaned Up-3.JPG

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Nato77 and 3 others have said thanks

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,149 Thanks
  • 7,584 posts

Posted February 17, 2017 - 08:23 AM

Keepin' that Delux seat?  Might be best part of whole project, heh! 

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,415 Thanks
  • 5,825 posts

Posted February 20, 2017 - 08:58 AM

Seat will stay till  the right one happens along.  Might have a small low back pan but this one don't work to bad.  Has two bolts in line with the tractor holding it to the spring.  Baout all the others have either 2 or 4 bolts across from each other.  Better than pop case or nail keg.