• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TomFoolery OFFLINE  

TomFoolery
  • Member No: 85798
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 02:08 PM

I'm wondering if anyone (I'm sure someone has) put a larger engine into a tube frame tractor and just how much work it is?  Also will the hydro hold up with more HP?  I have a steep front yard and it's a struggle for it to go uphill while mowing.

Also is it worth the money to buy a new mower deck?  It needs a lot of work, like 3 spindles and maybe all bearings, not to mention it hangs funny and could use some new linkage.

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,374 Thanks
  • 5,797 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 05:40 PM

As long as the RPM's are up on the engine I don't think more hp will help you any.  The hydro can only produce so much torque to the wheels.  More engine hp won't increase that.  Now if you have substantial pull down on the engine rpm, you could probably gain with a more hp under the hood to keep the hydro turning at the right speed.  Just my thoughts.

• Austen and TomFoolery have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,101 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 10:01 PM

Sounds like another tractor is in the thoughts!  Just get a BIGGER one!  Everyone needs more tractors to fill in the spaces in the garage/shop! Sometimes you have to Update!

• Bolens 1000, stiemmy and TomFoolery have said thanks

#4 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,452 Thanks
  • 1,796 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 05:21 PM

Sounds like another tractor is in the thoughts!  Just get a BIGGER one!  Everyone needs more tractors to fill in the spaces in the garage/shop! Sometimes you have to Update!

I agree, but some of us (like me) are going to have to figure out a way to start hangin em from the trusses in the garage!!! Lol
  • KennyP said thank you

#5 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 274 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 10:16 AM

I have a 1256  tube frame that I put a Briggs 14 hp v twin on, With some minor modifications, it fits under the hood and works great.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#6 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,096 Thanks
  • 1,019 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 12:38 PM

Hi, I put a Briggs 18HP L head engine into my H14. I love it. Here is a link to a thread that shows a bit of it. The thread is kinda long but on the 2nd page I made reference to a post that I made which helps to explain just what I did. 

http://gardentractor...ekend/?hl= 1856

• Austen said thank you