• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,178 Thanks
  • 2,870 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 05:24 PM

Here is a close up of the valve seat on the briggs. I think being pitted is causing the leaking so my dad picking it up to go to the machine shop16652727_10212179896675121_1655319452_n.jpg

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,761 Thanks
  • 4,904 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 06:35 PM

The way the seat looks shiny on half and dull on the other half makes it look like it's not seating on the dull half. Or, is that just reflection from taking the picture?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,178 Thanks
  • 2,870 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 06:50 PM

The way the seat looks shiny on half and dull on the other half makes it look like it's not seating on the dull half. Or, is that just reflection from taking the picture?

A buddy said it looks like it burnt some water of time. And yes it is shiny on the side that isn't pitted.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,399 Thanks
  • 44,920 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 07:17 PM

Bent valve, maybe?

#5 grattone OFFLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 309 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 08:09 PM

That is interesting, looks like there is a section between the valves and cylinder that is pitted, Would like to see a picture of the whole area under the head.

#6 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,689 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 08:41 PM

It's what happens when they sit outside for years.

Mike

#7 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,178 Thanks
  • 2,870 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 08:51 PM

Bent valve, maybe?

Valves are straight and guide are good. the

#8 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,178 Thanks
  • 2,870 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 08:54 PM

It's what happens when they sit outside for years.

Mike

This is true and it was caked with carbon which is the main reason manual recommends to replace the head gasket every 5 years

#9 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,454 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 10:13 PM

The pitting on the block by the seat is from detonation. And or running hot.

#10 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,178 Thanks
  • 2,870 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 11:39 AM

Machine shop said it needs new valves and new valve guides. I guess the brigg tool I have to check the guides are incorrect they said the valves are too loose fitting.

#11 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,906 Thanks
  • 2,448 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 12:29 PM

Machine shop said it needs new valves and new valve guides. I guess the brigg tool I have to check the guides are incorrect they said the valves are too loose fitting.

I don't know which model B&S you have, but most B&S valve guides are not removable/replaceable. 

Do you know what the machine shop plans on doing?

Unless the valves are bent or severely pitted, they can be refaced and re-used.  ....Machine shop labor may make it cheaper to just buy new valves.

#12 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,178 Thanks
  • 2,870 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 12:31 PM

I don't know which model B&S you have, but most B&S valve guides are not removable/replaceable.

Do you know what the machine shop plans on doing?

Unless the valves are bent or severely pitted, they can be refaced and re-used. ....Machine shop labor may make it cheaper to just buy new valves.

I dont see the play the guy is talking about. The valves fit with tiny play.my dad said the guy acted like he didnt want to mess with it

#13 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,178 Thanks
  • 2,870 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 12:52 PM

#14 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,906 Thanks
  • 2,448 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 01:53 PM

In order to check the play in the guides, only raise the valve approx. 1/8" off its seat.  ....Now, "wiggle" the valve by holding the valve stem at the bottom and the valve head at the top.  ....A small amount of movement is acceptable.  ...The wear is usually back & forth toward the piston, not side-to-side toward the other valve.

B&S sold brass valve guide bushings for some of the guides.  ...These required special reamers and pilots to install them correctly, and the seat had to be re-cut to be sure it is concentric with the guide. 

I would tend to believe the B&S guide-check tool, as long as you have the correct tool. 

I also agree the machine shop was probably not interested in doing the job.

As best as I could see, your valves look like they are OK. ....Once the valve seats are re-cut, the valves can be lapped (again) to the seats.

Some auto parts stores, mower shops, and/or automotive repair shops may have the tools to re-cut the seats and are willing to do the job.  ....I could do both seats in 15 minutes or less (if you want to bring it to NJ, haha).  ....There are hand-operated seat cutters which have carbide cutters and electric seat grinders which use grinding stones, and either type works well.

• Bolens 1000 and bbuckler have said thanks

#15 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,178 Thanks
  • 2,870 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 02:26 PM

In order to check the play in the guides, only raise the valve approx. 1/8" off its seat. ....Now, "wiggle" the valve by holding the valve stem at the bottom and the valve head at the top. ....A small amount of movement is acceptable. ...The wear is usually back & forth toward the piston, not side-to-side toward the other valve.

B&S sold brass valve guide bushings for some of the guides. ...These required special reamers and pilots to install them correctly, and the seat had to be re-cut to be sure it is concentric with the guide.

I would tend to believe the B&S guide-check tool, as long as you have the correct tool.

I also agree the machine shop was probably not interested in doing the job.

As best as I could see, your valves look like they are OK. ....Once the valve seats are re-cut, the valves can be lapped (again) to the seats.

Some auto parts stores, mower shops, and/or automotive repair shops may have the tools to re-cut the seats and are willing to do the job. ....I could do both seats in 15 minutes or less (if you want to bring it to NJ, haha). ....There are hand-operated seat cutters which have carbide cutters and electric seat grinders which use grinding stones, and either type works well.

Another video https://youtu.be/Ac9ZGx1EuOw