Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What is your favorite make and how is it special?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,757 Thanks
  • 4,301 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 10:58 PM

I'll add that I rarely will pass on a deal, no matter the color, but it has to be complete, and not be a box store variety.

#17 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,537 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 02:08 AM

My favorite make is anything NOT stamped!
No matter what color:)

#18 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 1,093 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 08:48 AM

Between my father and I we own 10 cub cadets and one jake, NOW we both like any old iron and that is one reason why I love this site, I like reading and seeing pictures about all of them!!!!!

Ditto....got a few IHCC's...first tractor was a 1951 International Farmall Super A.

#19 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,634 Thanks
  • 9,444 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 08:57 AM

My employer used Wheel Horse and I liked using them. When I needed a GT, I bought a '73 Raider 12. It was then that I found that it had a couple of mutations that made it Special. :D 

#20 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,055 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 10:48 AM

I got into garden tractors with one thing in mind. Snow removal. Winter time gets pretty rough up here in Maine if you don't have good snow removal equipment. Although I won't  knock the other brands I can tell you that I took a really big liking to Sears Suburbans. One of the main reasons I took a liking to the suburbans  is there is nothing fancy on these all common hardware. The next thing I noticed about a sears suburban was the quality , everything was over built and built to last a lifetime much like many of the older GT's.

After getting my 1st Sears up and running is when I really fell in love with the Sears Suburbans. The clutch is a clutch and a brake and works so smooth.  The turning radius and the easy of the steering was a super bonus specially when running around with the extra weight of a blower on the front. I also love the fact that when you engage the blower there is no pto cable, clutch disk or anything to wear out , just a spring loaded pulley. My goal was not to get fancy, just have something reliable that works when I need it. Also these have a straight belt system, not a twisted belt like my old tractor, I feel the straight belt is easier to replace and also last longer. 

This year is the first year that I have not had to adjust or tinker with my equipment. We have put this sears up against the heaviest , wettest most compact snow we have ever had and where the wheel horse falls a tad short the Sears just keep on going. My wife drives the Sears and I drive a C-120 wheel horse and there have been times I need to look to her or her machine to help. 

20161230_115429.jpg

My C-120 would not make it through the curb but the sears was unstoppable. I know a lot of people tell me to get a haban blower its bigger and shoots further but I would be hesitant to try and replace this little 39" Sears with anything else. It eats ice , throws wet stuff and does not clog. The Sears blower matched with a Sears hydro is going to be one hard tractor to beat in the snow thats for sure. 

#21 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,463 Thanks
  • 1,178 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 12:04 PM

I'll add that I rarely will pass on a deal, no matter the color, but it has to be complete, and not be a box store variety.

I'll rarely pass on a deal, even on the box store junk. $20.00 seems appropriate.   Don

#22 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 294 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 02:05 PM

I also got into garden tractors because of the need for a heavy snowblower.  I wanted a hydrostatic drive, and a friend who had had a Bolens suggested I look for one.  I ended up with a tube frame, medium frame, large frame, a 5020, and now a DGT 1700.  I have looked at other tractors, but have not seen anything I liked better.  I was watching for a Kubota G5200 or G6200, but now that I have the DGT 1700, have quit watching for the Kubota.  I continue to watch for vintage Bolens that are a good value for the price. 

The second brand of tractor I am fond of is the BCS line.  Well made, and often times you can find them cheap.  I think I would also like Gravely tractors, but have not run across one with in my threshold of pain. 

I tend to think one of the best kept secrets in the country is how good some of this older vintage garden equipment is. 

Regards,

Doug

#23 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,562 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 02:27 PM

Somehow I turned into a David Bradley collector , I started with the Suburban 4 Wheeler , and I like the things made during the last 3-4 years of the name .

Probably because that is the time I was born . So this is stuff as old as I am .

I am going to get a DB tiller/Rotospader next Sat. that I found , it looks unique and in good shape , should make a nice addition and give me something to fix in the spring.  

I want move on to other brands but haven't found what I want yet so I am always looking for a good -T70 Panzer , Amigo perhaps , Bolens Husky , I like things around 1960 - 61 .

This 59' was calling my number and I just had to have one . When something floats around in your head for years after you have seen it ... I dunno ,why not ?

I had never done anything like it before but knew I was capable to learn whatever it took to get it going .

ZvxkOwD.jpg

• Bolens 1000 and BNK have said thanks

#24 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,422 Thanks
  • 1,554 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 03:43 PM

I got a smokin' deal on my first LGT Ford and have not turned back.....Not saying they are the best, but I like 'em

013 (Small).JPG

PICT0004 (Medium).JPG

#25 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,308 Thanks
  • 1,269 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 05:08 PM

I'm with the crowd that is colour blind as long as it does the job...

My personal favourite would be the one that runs with the least amount of cursing swearing voodoo and black magic to start, and keep going

So probably my moto mower 6020. Starts after about the 39th pull when I remember to disengage the kill switch. Then it's the first pull.

I do really like my roper rt16, but it is plagued by carb problems... gonna have to sort that out before too long
  • limebuzz said thank you

#26 Gary from Muleshoe OFFLINE  

Gary from Muleshoe

• Member No: 6921
  • 65 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 07:10 PM

I don't really have a favorite. I like to tinker with all of them. Right now Sears SS 16 has my interest. Will be restoring my Ford 80 before long.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

#27 schweitz OFFLINE  

schweitz

• Member No: 3045
  • 19 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 12:38 AM

I never had much choice about favorite brand name. Was doing field work at age 10 (65 years ago) with our only tractor (B John Deere) in central Nebraska. Later moved to Idaho and helped Dad during high school, got married, settled near Twin Falls, ID and did seed research at Asgrow Seed Co.

Purchased 1st garden tractor there (1978 JD 312) which is still my main mower Had my son overhaul engine 15 years ago.

Moved to Salem OR area where I've added more JD's to care for our 3 acres. 

- 2 junker JD214's with hyd lifts which I completely rebuilt/refinished into one good-as-new  tractor with rebuilt tiller.

- 1968 JD112 with hyd lift for which I built belly blade.

- 1991 JD265 with mower which is great for picking up oak leaves. I changed manual lift to electric actuator.

- 1973 JD140h3 with mounted Johnson #12 loader, also roto-tiller, snow thrower, and front blade attachments.

All are regular workers that keep me busy with maintenance, modifications, etc.

#28 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,498 Thanks
  • 7,856 posts

Posted February 17, 2017 - 08:33 AM

My Speedex are kinda simple in design, easy to fix with standard metals and engines.  I like that they are Not real well known, yet not impossible to find parts for either.  The whole line in it's later years is a " Mystery Tractor" in the odd things that they built and tried to market.  Models changed like the day of the week!