• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 andyrocky1 ONLINE  

andyrocky1
  • Member No: 78183
  • 25 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 07:17 AM

I had a flat tire on my tube frame when I went to clean up the snow. I had a spare so I took off the old tire. I put the new one on and now I can not for the life of me get the allen head screw to thread into the collar that holds the wheel on. Anyone have any tips or suggestions. I even tried a new collar and that did not line up right either. 

#2 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 340 Thanks
  • 176 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 07:28 AM

Perhaps the threads got messed up, stick the allen wrench through the hole in the collar and put the set screw on the wrench from the inside. Back the set screw through the hole. That might straighten the threads up. I would just rethread the collar with a tap and die set. It depends on what kind of tools you have available.

• MH81 and andyrocky1 have said thanks

#3 andyrocky1 ONLINE  

andyrocky1
  • 25 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 08:03 AM

I thought about the threads. I was able to put the screw into the collar while it was off the spindle the front axle. It seems like it has to line up perfectly or it won't work. 

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,144 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 08:04 AM

If you tried a new collar, try putting the allen head screw in the new collar off the tractor.  If that works run the allen wrench through the hole in the axle to be sure it is open.  If that is clear it is just a matter of getting the collar aligned on the axle.  Another possibility is the wheel your trying to put on has a wider or thicker hub the the original and won't let the collar go on far enough to line up.  Good luck.

• andyrocky1 said thank you

#5 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,906 Thanks
  • 2,448 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 09:42 AM

The Bolens tube-frames used shim washers to eliminate end-play of the wheel on the spindle.

Often the shim washers will stick to the wheel, so you may just have an extra unwanted washer in place when you switched wheels.

I have encountered collars where the holes for the hex cap screw were drilled slightly off center.  ....Flipping the collar over would often allow the holes to line up. 

• Bolens 1000, DougT, MH81 and 5 others have said thanks

#6 andyrocky1 ONLINE  

andyrocky1
  • 25 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 02:09 PM

I am going to try putting on the collar with no wheel and make sure it will work. I used a smaller allen wrench to line up the hole last night and it went through. I ran the bolt to the allen wrench and still no luck. The is second time I had to change a front tire. The first time on the other side it went so easy. Last night in 7 degrees and windy weather with bare hands and the tractor blocking the driveway was no joy. I don't want to say what I did to keep the wheel on. As for the idea of a washer sticking, I will look into that too. 

Thanks it sounds like I just have to try without the wheel, then keep fiddling with it to line up correctly. 

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#7 grattone OFFLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 309 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 03:24 PM

Put the allen screw up to the hole, now with the allen wrench in the screw turn it backwards  ( CCW) holding it tight in and you will feel a small bump when the treads pass each other. Reverse direction and it should start.

I have used that method for years on bolts, screws anything threaded.

Good Luck

• Bolens800uk and andyrocky1 have said thanks

#8 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,384 Thanks
  • 3,016 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 06:19 PM

The Bolens tube-frames used shim washers to eliminate end-play of the wheel on the spindle.

Often the shim washers will stick to the wheel, so you may just have an extra unwanted washer in place when you switched wheels.

I have encountered collars where the holes for the hex cap screw were drilled slightly off center.  ....Flipping the collar over would often allow the holes to line up. 

Had the same "problem" with one being drilled slightly off center on a 1254.Flipped it over and it screwed back in no problem.Possibility of Bolens using a jig to drill the holes in the spindle and collar at the same time and the spindle might not of been sitting square in the jig.

My 1050 had a front axle and spindles off of a 800 and I didn't have the original collars for the 800 axle. I had to run a drill bit through the ones off of the 1050 spindles with them installed On the 800 spindles and run a tap through.Didn't take much thread off.Still plenty left to grab and snug up.1050 spindles were shot and had loose ball joints so instead of just swapping over the parts I jacked it up and pulled 3 bolts and dropped the whole axle.One bolt was snapped off and just sitting in the tube lol.

• Bolens800uk and andyrocky1 have said thanks

#9 andyrocky1 ONLINE  

andyrocky1
  • 25 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 01:37 PM

Just to fill in a little more information: When I tried this the first time I used the same collar, same direction, same bolt etc and could not get it to thread into the collar. 

A question has come up in my mind about the washer. I don't think there was one when I took it off and I am sure there is not one now. I looked at washers in the hardware store and they did not look like they would work. I know the center needs to be 3/4" to go over the spindle. What about the outer diameter and thickness? Is the part I am looking for a "shim washer"?

I am going to see if I can thread the collar on without the wheel. That means it would only be me causing the issue.  

#10 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,906 Thanks
  • 2,448 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 08:11 PM

The shim washers were only used to take-up end-play of the wheel on the spindle.  ...Some tractors had none, some used one, some used more than one.

The shim washers had an i.d. that was close to the diameter of the spindle.  .....The o.d. was approx. 1/4" larger than the i.d.  .....The thickness is approx. 1/32".

• LPBolens, Bolens800uk and andyrocky1 have said thanks

#11 andyrocky1 ONLINE  

andyrocky1
  • 25 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 10:56 PM

The shim washers were only used to take-up end-play of the wheel on the spindle.  ...Some tractors had none, some used one, some used more than one.

The shim washers had an i.d. that was close to the diameter of the spindle.  .....The o.d. was approx. 1/4" larger than the i.d.  .....The thickness is approx. 1/32".

You were right in your original post. I was able to easily put on the collar with no wheel. Then I tried with the wheel and noticed the collar was out a little further than it was when it threaded properly. I dug through the grease on the inside of the spindle and found a shim washer. Once I removed it everything went together easily. And as a bonus, I now have a shim washer to measure. Thanks for everyone's ideas and encouragement.  

• MH81, Bruce Dorsi and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#12 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 1,139 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 01:57 PM

Glad you got your wheel sorted out. I learnt something too and will check that the shim washer is off when I swap the wheels over from my 1254 to my 850 at some point.

#13 andyrocky1 ONLINE  

andyrocky1
  • 25 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 11:24 AM

So even this tire went flat. I will try to put a tube in it today.

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#14 andyrocky1 ONLINE  

andyrocky1
  • 25 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted May 06, 2017 - 11:11 PM

Tube worked. 

• MH81 said thank you