Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Tire pressure for snow blowing (and FEL work)?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mustard Tiger ONLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • Member No: 84537
  • 92 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 08:47 PM

The GT I picked up came with a ber-vac snow blower, and the manual for it says to pump up the front tires to 24-25 PSI when using the snow blower.  Of course the tires on the tractor are max 14 PSI.  How much does front tire pressure matter?  What difference will it make having them at only 14?  And do I want my front tires up that high when I get my FEL rigged up too?

• propane1 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,143 Thanks
  • 8,870 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 08:52 PM

The tires are rated for maximum weight at maximum pressure. If you overload, the tires will fail prematurely. Do the tires say "max 14 psi" or is it the manual? I have to run my tires at their max pressure as noted on the tires. Otherwise the loader would flatten them. Good Luck, Rick

• propane1 and Mustard Tiger have said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,195 Thanks
  • 3,953 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 09:20 PM

Use the rating on the tire, not the manual. If the tire pressure won't do with the blower or front end loader, you may have to change to a higher ply tire. From a 2 ply to a 4 ply for example.

Noel
  • boyscout862 and Mustard Tiger have said thanks

#4 Mustard Tiger ONLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • Member No: 84537
  • 92 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 09:28 PM

The tires say max 14, the manual for the blower says to pump em up to 24.  What kind of problem will I have at only 14, just the tires getting smooshed?  I figured I'd need to get real tires for the FEL, but I'll probably have to order them online.  I don't think anyone around here sells anything but the dinky little 2 ply 14 PSI lawn tractor tires.

• propane1 said thank you

#5 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,597 Thanks
  • 2,806 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 09:38 PM

It should be ok at 14 with the blower on the ground the only time they might act weird or squash out is with the blower off the ground