• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,077 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 07:26 PM

Auctions are the way to go around here, usually have a few good deals at the local auctions, if I would have had an extra $50 at the last auction I attended I could have had two GT's for around $300, had to choose so I bought the one I needed for parts.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#17 Mustard Tiger ONLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • Member No: 84537
  • 81 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 09:03 PM

I don't get the really low value so many people here seem to put on these machines.  A tractor, deck, blower, tiller plus a spare parts tractor and deck for $1500?  Add in the $500 you'll sink into it in repairs and you've got a lot of utility for only 2000 Canadian Pesos.  That's like $25 US.  A new GT with deck blower and tiller would run you $9000 and has a dinky little tuff torq k6x.  He's a bit high at $1500, but not that far off the mark compared to most of what I see hitting kijiji.

I realize people used to give them away for basically nothing, but the internet provides information for sellers too.  Like how much everyone else is selling theirs for so they don't go giving it away for $200.

• blackjackjakexxix, oldiron1 and propane1 have said thanks

#18 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,453 Thanks
  • 1,103 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 09:19 PM

My opinion is the interent craigslist and ebay doesn't provide accurate prices. I few screw balls try to sell for a few grand then everyone that doesn't know any better says mine is worth that too. Accurate prices come from sites like this where us collectors discuss prices and what we would pay. And when 99% of us are saying we can't do this anymore . The prices are too high.
  • backwoods said thank you

#19 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,283 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 09:30 PM

The worst part is sure you can buy it/them .Put money into fixing them up ,buying parts etc: The time you spend doing the repairs etc: can't be included in your selling price because you'll never be able to put a price on the unit your trying to sell if you include your labor. Once you get it fixed up and working etc: the price your going to have to try and sell it for is probably less then what its cost you to fix it up.Most people will rather go to the big box stores and buy a new cheaply built one for less money then what you have to get for the one your selling just to break even. I've bought and fixed up a few over the years got them cheap and even then it was hard to sell them and break even.

• ericjr16 said thank you

#20 Mustard Tiger ONLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • 81 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 09:44 PM

Can't do what?  Make a profit?  Get a big collection for cheap?  It may very well be that you can't do those things any more, but that doesn't mean something is wrong.  Maybe something was wrong when you could do those things and it has now been corrected by people having better access to information.  I know I'm not the only person who has just recently picked up a tractor or two.  And the reason has been to use it, so the value we put on it is based on what the other options would cost.  I need to cut grass, blow snow, and work the garden.  An older GT is the cheapest way to get that done even at $2000 CAD/$1500 USD for the package.  I felt guilty buying mine for $800 (tractor, deck, tiller, blower, scraper blade) because that was so cheap.

• Alc said thank you

#21 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,453 Thanks
  • 1,103 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 09:53 PM

Can't do what?  Make a profit?  Get a big collection for cheap?  It may very well be that you can't do those things any more, but that doesn't mean something is wrong.  Maybe something was wrong when you could do those things and it has now been corrected by people having better access to information.  I know I'm not the only person who has just recently picked up a tractor or two.  And the reason has been to use it, so the value we put on it is based on what the other options would cost.  I need to cut grass, blow snow, and work the garden.  An older GT is the cheapest way to get that done even at $2000 CAD/$1500 USD for the package.  I felt guilty buying mine for $800 (tractor, deck, tiller, blower, scraper blade) because that was so cheap.

Can't do it as in pay the high prices to continue to enjoy the hobby. I have a large collection I am not in it to make money.I do not sell the tractors I buy. Just trying to enjoy myself. But I'm not going to pay thousands of dollars for a garden tractor that needs a total restore. These are farm tractor prices now. Can't do it . Will just preserve my collection and start doing 25000 piece puzzles.
  • Delmar said thank you

#22 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,453 Thanks
  • 1,103 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 09:55 PM

And I have farm tractors too

#23 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,283 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 10:15 PM

So I guess trying to make a few $$$'s is a bad thing ???? rather then break even.I've never really made any money on fixing them up,it was more of a winter project to do something rather then sitting in the house. No wonder why I haven't posted to much anymore.When a person gets shot down for trying to make a few $$$$$ wow. what a crime.

• blackjackjakexxix, oldiron1, ericjr16 and 1 other said thanks

#24 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,523 Thanks
  • 4,175 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 10:20 PM

I made the mistake of selling one a while back. Blue Money Pit came to me as a scrap yard save. Purchased for scrap price of $60.00. Almost a year and over $2,800.00 later it was perfect!  I used him mainly for towing a cart, Retrieved a disabled car, moved a shed, towed trees out back, shows, mowed with the 50" a couple times, and let my Grandson ride. I posted for sell several times, no takers. After 4 years I had an offer, He sold for $1000.00 even, If I didn't need a new Trailer I would have declined. Hind sight, I should have declined. Too many memories lost.

Attached Thumbnails

• BMP clean 1.JPG
  • BMP Start Left Side.jpg

• Alc, sacsr, Leonard VanCamp and 2 others have said thanks

#25 Mustard Tiger ONLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • 81 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 10:41 PM

So I guess trying to make a few $$$'s is a bad thing ???? rather then break even.I've never really made any money on fixing them up,it was more of a winter project to do something rather then sitting in the house. No wonder why I haven't posted to much anymore.When a person gets shot down for trying to make a few $$$$$ wow. what a crime.

Nobody said it was a bad thing, or shot down anyone, or called anything a crime.  I simply pointed out that the common refrain here of "prices now are too high" is just as likely a case of "prices then were too low".  There's a perception that this is caused by a small number of crazy people asking crazy prices and everyone else following their lead.  But those everyone else would drop their prices if it didn't sell.  They are selling.  I just provided some insight into why some people are buying them at these prices.

• jerseyhawg / glenn and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#26 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,453 Thanks
  • 1,103 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 10:48 PM

Do they really sell? I see the same ones advertised for more than a year the same with eBay. I am not trying to argue , just having a discussion. I find alot of sellers asking these prices are uninformed and don't know much about what they even have for sale and have the attitude of I will let it rot if I can't get x dollars.
  • Bolens 1000, Alc and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#27 Mustard Tiger ONLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • 81 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 11:09 PM

Stuff in the $1000-1500 CAD range?  Yeah for sure.  The people listing "rare" GTs for $7000?  Not a chance.  I've made it a habit to ask people "is that still for sale?" after their ad disappears to see what sells and what people gave up on.  Even though some of them will sit for a few months before someone takes it, packages like this do sell.  There's certainly people who don't know what they have and want too much for it (like all the people constantly spamming about their junky old bolens ST120s who think bolens = money).  But I think the only way to find $50 specials these days is hoping to run across someone whose dad died and they don't know anything about his old GT and so they give it away for basically nothing.

#28 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,077 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 11:53 PM

Most of the tractors that sell around my area are not the high priced ones, but anything decent under$350+/- sells, there are usually a few on most local CL if the idiots that think anything over 10+/- years old should be scrapped don't flag them first.

#29 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,276 Thanks
  • 1,041 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 02:27 AM

There are people watching Craigslist constantly waiting for the low sale price listings, Some very organized. If they see something listed greatly undervalued they will buy it for resale. The same thing happens with paper want adds. I met a couple in the late 70s that made over 50K in one year buying from the want adds and G sales and selling at a swap market. If real deals exist they disappear quickly.  Don 

• Alc, MGP59DB and Mustard Tiger have said thanks

#30 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,574 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 07:57 AM

I'll agree with some of the prices being way to high I look for the under $500 range running with either a deck or blade if it doesn't run or move I won't pay over 150. I try to trade a gt for another gt or barter skills for the gt. I have a couple hard to find in my area gts I wouldn't call them rare by any means unless only a couple year production makes it rare. A few years ago I traded my JD gt 275 for my 300 with a deck blade an tiller it's was an even trade an both ran great we valued them both around $1000 but that was an agreement between me an the seller. I've found with trying to buy them if you watch the ad long enough an are lucky you get the item just before there ready to scrap you'll get a good deal. Also i had a friend at the local scrap yard get ahold of me if he though a gt or attachments might be of interest to me.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
  • Tecumseh power said thank you