13 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,998 Thanks
  • 8,781 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 10:14 AM

I'm usually critical of our local weather guessers but, today I have to complement them. They forecasted heavy snow would start at day break and it did. They did a great job and probably saved some lives.

It has been a crazy week, weather wise, around here. Tuesday was freezing rain. Yesterday, it hit 63* on the coast and 54* here(I'm in the eastern hills). Overnight, the temp dropped to 34* but when the snow started, it dropped to 28*. Four hours since dawn and we have 5+" and it is blowing. As an extra we are getting thundersnow.

All the government offices and schools are closed. People are still going out and there are lots of accidents. I went out and got a 1/4 cord of black oak into the basement yesterday so that we will be warm. It is supposed to go into the single numbers tonight. Just had more thunder.

When all is said and done we are supposed to get 10" to 18" by about sunset when the snow is supposed to end. I plan to wait until tomorrow to plow with my Ford tractor. I used it to get the wood yesterday, backed it into its parking place, covered it with a tarp, and put a magnetic heater on her so that she will start easier. I got two cans of diesel for her but didn't put them in. I learned a lesson years ago. I keep the fuel in the heated garage and add some just before starting her. It makes it easier for her to run.

I have a cab for the Ford but didn't put it on because of the wood collecting I've been doing. Tomorrow I will pay for not having that cab on it. It will probably take 4 hours of seat time but I may have to take breaks to thaw out. Good Luck, Rick

I just realized that I better get outside and knock the snow off of the tent garages or I may lose them.

Edited by boyscout862, February 09, 2017 - 10:30 AM.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 12 others have said thanks

#2 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 2,718 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 12:01 PM

Looks like we are on the top edge of the deep stuff up here in NH , 20 miles north of  Mass border. We should be getting 10" - 14" here. Boston area is supposed to get the worst of it. Funny thing is we went in for a half day down in Boston and it had just started  snowing around 8- 8:30 ,like it was expected. The farther north I went less it was snowing , until I got off exit 3 in NH. By the time I got to my house 11:00 ish, I had 5" in the driveway already. Looked at the radar and it shows the northern edge of the storm above our area and stalling as the storm starts its nor-easter swirl. Might be more in my forecast than they thought for us here.

• MFDAC, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • 11,998 Thanks
  • 8,781 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 12:35 PM

As I was going to go out, the thunder started again and the guys on the TV said not to go out in it. So, I took a nap. Woke up to alot of wind and now around 8" of snow but it is really blowing around. Looked around the yard(from my windows and noticed that the two round top tent garages had shed most of their snow and don't really need to be cleanned. The gable roofed tent garage is far enough into the woods that I can't tell how much is on it. I'll have lunch and then go out. Haven't heard any thunder since I woke up. Temps are starting to drop as the end of the storm is crossing NY.

Our weather guys are saying that it is growing more than they expected. Eastern Mass and RI may get alot more than they thought. Long Island is getting Blizzard conditions. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 09, 2017 - 12:36 PM.

• KennyP, MFDAC and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,836 Thanks
  • 4,497 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 01:47 PM

We just missed it, we had heavy thunderstorms overnight up until daybreak, then temp dropped 20° in an hour and we got some light snow, no accumulation, getting off and on flurries and 45 mph winds. Also getting times of bright blue skies.

• KennyP, MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,526 Thanks
  • 4,393 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 02:07 PM

I have a friend visiting in New York and trying to get back home. All flights out are cancelled 'til further notice.
  • KennyP, MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 pharmer ONLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 861 Thanks
  • 770 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 02:54 PM

13" so far. I already snow plowed once. Second time won't be so bad.
  • KennyP, MFDAC and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • 11,998 Thanks
  • 8,781 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 03:33 PM

Thunder seemed to stop around 1400hrs. I went out, fed the birds, cleanned off the gable roof tent garage and walked down to get the mail. I am pooped from the overhead work and walking through the deep snow. The weathermen got it right on the amount, we have 14" so far.  A town truck went by as I approached the mail box so,  I want to try to go back out to plow in an hour if I've dried out. I hate leaving the driveway blocked incase we have an emergency. Good Luck, Rick.

My back door:  SD531206.JPG

Round top garages: SD531207.JPG SD531208.JPG

Edited by boyscout862, February 09, 2017 - 05:11 PM.

• KennyP, MFDAC, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,781 Thanks
  • 4,768 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 03:40 PM

You people are stealing all our Missouri snow!

and I love it!!!!!!!    :thumbs:

• KennyP, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,791 Thanks
  • 44,563 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 06:37 PM

You people are stealing all our Missouri snow!

and I love it!!!!!!!    :thumbs:

ME TOO!

• Gtractor, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#10 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 2,718 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 07:17 PM

I went out at 2:00 and cleared at least 12" , just came in from final cleaning and had another 2". Seems to finally have tapered off.
  • MFDAC, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,948 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 08:50 PM

Hope that there's no substantial damage and you folks get dug out fast! While you are getting hit hard we finally had a day above freezing (37*) for the first time in 11 days.

DAC

• KennyP, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,822 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 12:22 PM

16" at home and work. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#13 det12187 OFFLINE  

det12187
  • Member No: 75145
  • 43 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 12:50 PM

So far this year we have been lucky, a few storms with snow then warm up to melt it

away. I guess hi pressure and the Great lakes help.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#14 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • 11,998 Thanks
  • 8,781 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 04:36 PM

It took 1/2 hour this morning to dig out the Ford. It started right up and I plowed for 3 1/2 hours. All ready for the 4" expected tonight. Another storm on Sunday. My son said that all the roads were terrible today when he drove to school. I'm afraid that they will be worse on the drive home. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP, MFDAC and TomLGT195 have said thanks