• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 DukeWicked OFFLINE  

DukeWicked
  • Member No: 85856
  • 16 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 03:54 AM

Picked this tractor up a few months ago. Haven't been able to really work on it since I got it. So far fixed the hood, added a block to the brake/clutch (I have short legs), ball hitch on the back. Didn't have a 3pt on when I got it. Came with deck (needs work) and a front plow that I broke before buying that I have since reinforced and fixed. Couple weeks after I got a harrow and cultivator. Not Sears brand but look 30's. Was going great plowing snow until I smelled a burning belt. I'm downloading the manual but still have a few questions. 1. It's running a bit hot and the muffler is crap. Thinking the muffler is the reason for the heat and there is no gasket there. 2. How do I get the drive belt off the rear pulley? 3. What weight oil should I run? (Doing a oil change before I run it again because I have no clue when oil was last changed.) 4. It seems to have a fuel pump? 5. Starts after cranking for a couple min with choke on at 2/3 or more throttle then it will die if the choke isn't pushed back in right away. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• 15226443_1302999146406569_101280755_n1.jpg
  • 15233698_1302931713079979_873523072_o1.jpg

• rustyoldjunk, Alc, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,895 Thanks
  • 44,624 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 05:23 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Good looking tractor! 

• chieffan said thank you

#3 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 581 Thanks
  • 469 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 07:55 AM

Welcome to GTT. Great bunch of guys here willing to help. That is a great looking tractor.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,962 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 08:01 AM

Nice ride. I think it's a little bit later than that. The 68 had an aluminum Grill and hinged at the top. As far as I know.
  • rustyoldjunk, chieffan and DukeWicked have said thanks

#5 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 11:02 AM

Well its not a 68 going by the full sized foot boards, the dash, the grill, fuel tank, etc. Curious to see what engine is in that. 

#6 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,537 Thanks
  • 4,397 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 02:12 PM

Welcome aboard!

#7 DukeWicked OFFLINE  

DukeWicked
  • 16 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 04:35 PM

It's a 76 according to research my bad.

• MH81 said thank you

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,508 Thanks
  • 9,336 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 05:57 PM

Not knowing it's history, the first thing I would do, besides an oil change is a complete tune up (plug, points fuel filter, check the timing, adjust the carb,etc., etc.). Glad you've joined us.

#9 DukeWicked OFFLINE  

DukeWicked
  • 16 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 12:50 AM

Points? It's a solid state ignition.

I will say that I'm really new to tractors. I don't see a oil filter on it? Run 10W30 non detergent ?

Edited by DukeWicked, February 10, 2017 - 07:02 AM.

#10 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 09:17 AM

Points? It's a solid state ignition.

I will say that I'm really new to tractors. I don't see a oil filter on it? Run 10W30 non detergent ?

No it does not have an oil filter, you just have to change it regularly. In order to get the drive belt off the rear you have to remove the two bolts holding the guard on.  As far as oil goes I have one tecky that was smoking and burning oil like crazy, I have switch to Mobile 1 synthetic and its running amazingly better , a lot less smoke and about 1/2 the oil consumption. Also starts easier in the extreme cold.  The reason you need a fuel pump is because your gas tank is down low and in the back of the machine , the ones with gas tanks near the battery tray run fine with out a pump.  Your engine not wanting to run with the choke pulled out is a good thing, you should only need the choke to get it the extra fuel needed to start it. 

• MH81, holdenboy1960 and DukeWicked have said thanks

#11 DukeWicked OFFLINE  

DukeWicked
  • 16 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 02:17 AM

5/8 x 81" belt right? Wouldn't switching to synthetic this late in it's life hurt it? I had to take off all 4 bolts on the guard to get the clearance to pull the belt. Also shouldn't I change the oil in the transmission/pumpkin? For that I know I have to remove a tire. Should be same side as the clutch/brake pedal? Is it the ring on the hub or the bolts that I have to remove? Sorry like said I'm new but I learn and pick things up pretty quick. Any idea what I can do about a muffler? Plug gap?

I would like to add thank you for welcoming me here. I shall be around plenty as I want to get a few other tractors but I want to learn more about them first.

EDIT: Thanks to KennyP and his guide on prefix codes I have found that it's a Roper? Never heard of it before? 917 25941

Edited by DukeWicked, February 14, 2017 - 02:45 AM.

• KennyP and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,895 Thanks
  • 44,624 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 06:33 AM

The 917.25941 is a ST/16 I believe. Is that the Model # for this one?

Here is a manual for a 1976 ST/12 that may help for maintenance.

• MH81, holdenboy1960 and John Arsenault have said thanks

#13 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 10:07 AM

5/8 x 81" belt right? Wouldn't switching to synthetic this late in it's life hurt it? I had to take off all 4 bolts on the guard to get the clearance to pull the belt. Also shouldn't I change the oil in the transmission/pumpkin? For that I know I have to remove a tire. Should be same side as the clutch/brake pedal? Is it the ring on the hub or the bolts that I have to remove? Sorry like said I'm new but I learn and pick things up pretty quick. Any idea what I can do about a muffler? Plug gap?

I would like to add thank you for welcoming me here. I shall be around plenty as I want to get a few other tractors but I want to learn more about them first.

EDIT: Thanks to KennyP and his guide on prefix codes I have found that it's a Roper? Never heard of it before? 917 25941

With out looking it up , I do believe that 5/8 X 81" is the correct drive belt.  Switching to synthetic oil will not hurt anything. Most of the time when you hear those storys its because someone was having issues with it in the first place and thats why they switched, oil is not magic and will not fix problems and a better grade of oil will not cause problems. Yes change your transmission lube. most likely its watered down yellow snot at this point and if your unsure of the condition change it, ( I use a non detergent outboard oil)  I have yet to get a suburban that was not watered down. With that said, water gets in at the shift lever so you may want to add some kind of rubber shift boot to divert the water from getting in. 

You will also find it don't matter what year sears suburban its just as good as any other, its more of a year or body style preference not a performance thing.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#14 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,741 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 10:10 AM

Technically all Sears are Ropers since Roper built all the tractors for Sears. Sears actually partially owned or owned like 50% of Roper stock during this time.

Your model number is a Sears number. 941 maybe as Kenny stated and ST16, it's hard to see from the pics, but it looks like you have a 16 muffler on it. The 12hp should still be a flat head I think whereas the 16 is an overhead valve. A pic of the motor will give a definite on what you have. You can also look under the flywheel on the front of the oil pan, there will be a number stamped on the front corner of what Hp rating the motor is.

Muffler- you can probably use a 3" or 1" threaded pipe and add a different muffler to the end. I like the idea of a stack myself, but i go under too many trees and they can be loud and they need extra support from the bottom or the weight can break the head out. This was the setup in a tractor I bought, not my favorite but it works.

ST16 engine.jpg

Click the link in my signature about removing a rearend in suburban. I go through a lot of details, belt used, filling oil, etc.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#15 DukeWicked OFFLINE  

DukeWicked
  • 16 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 05:51 PM

Wish I didn't have to download the manual one page at a time and them only get like 3-4 a day.. I'll be taking a picture of the engine soon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears suburban