Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone work on the electric lift for a Cub Cadet?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 06:23 AM

The electric lift that is on my Cub 147 I just got is going to need some work. I was wondering if anyone has had one apart that could give me some pointers. I even thought about just getting an aftermarket electric actuator but I have no idea where to buy them at. I am thinking it may just be one small piece of something on the current lift that needs replaced. I just don't want to go tearing it apart and have parts flying everywhere LOL.

The problem I was having was it would only go down so far and then one time I hit the switch and it went down further except now it will only move about a 1/2" up now so the deck is stuck in the down position. I don't know if it may be the motor or maybe a gear is missing some teeth or something. I didn't get a chance to really dig in to it yet.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 11:13 AM

When it was working,did it seem to go it's full stroke smoothly ?

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 11:29 AM

It would only lift to a certain point because the one lift eye on the front of the mower deck was replaced with something homemade and it would catch the lift frame but up to that point it worked smooth but it never went down as far as it is now and it won't come back up. I think I am going to pull it off and take it apart, the brushes for the motor might just need cleaned and I can check the gears while I am at it. Worse case scenario is I just won't be able to get it back together LOL.

#4 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 03:02 PM

Is it possible that something on the deck or linkage is catching or binding? I would try disconnecting it from the lift linkage and see if it will function properly with out being hooked to anything. Good luck.

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 03:11 PM

Never been into one, but I know you can handle it. Likely dirty/sticking brushes & commutator pickups need cleaning up. All I ever seen had built in clutches to help prevent stripping anything.

#6 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 05:09 PM

The electric lift that is on my Cub 147 I just got is going to need some work. I was wondering if anyone has had one apart that could give me some pointers. I even thought about just getting an aftermarket electric actuator but I have no idea where to buy them at.

I know up here Princess Auto has quite a few electric actuators on the shelves.They come in all different strokes.I believe Harbour Freight is the equivelent to our Princess Auto.[Not real sure about that but you can check it out if you can't get yours working]Good luck with the fix I'am confident you'll figure whats wrong with your's.Larry

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 05:29 PM

I found part of the problem, loose ground. Now I just gotta get the right lifting eye for the mower deck so it doesn't catch the lifting frame and it should be good to go.

#8 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 07:46 PM

Good job..It's nice to get things working with only minor problems to resolve.Larry

#9 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 08:02 PM

Glad it was a simple fix for you George.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 08:07 PM

I am going to pull the mower deck off tomorrow so I can take a better pic of the lifting eye and see if I can get a hold of a proper one and also so I can test to make sure it will lift the whole way with the eye not hitting.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 01, 2010 - 07:12 PM

I know up here Princess Auto has quite a few electric actuators on the shelves.They come in all different strokes.I believe Harbour Freight is the equivelent to our Princess Auto.[Not real sure about that but you can check it out if you can't get yours working]Good luck with the fix I'am confident you'll figure whats wrong with your's.Larry

I am going to see what I can find. I was messing with it some more today and even with the deck not hooked up it still wouldn't raise as far as I thought it would and hangs at a couple of spots. I think I might take it off and tear it apart and see if I can inspect the gears. The motor seems to work fine.

I also thought about porting a hydro cylinder off the tranny and adding a valve for it but I have never done this so it would all be new to me and I don't even know if it could be done.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 01, 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hey Larry,
Thanks for the idea on trying Northerntool. I have gotten a few things from them over the years and I was just on their site and guess what i found and I think it will work perfect. I am probably going to order one this weekend and try it out. If it works I will get a second one for my Massey MF12. Here is a link to one of them and the price isn't bad either: Northern Industrial Linear Actuator — 12 Volt, 7 7/8in. stroke | Lawn + Garden Utility Trailers | Northern Tool + Equipment

#13 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted April 01, 2010 - 08:29 PM

I was in Princess Auto two days ago and looked at what they had.Quite a few on the shelves with different strokes so its good to know that there's more ,then one size fits all.It's easier to make things work when you can get something that fits in where you need rather then try and use one thats to big.Glad you found what your looking for.Prices seem to be pretty comparable.Larry.

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 05:06 AM

I would love to do the ported hydro lift mainly for the speed but I don't know how expensive that could end up getting. I will do the electric lift for now and maybe experiment with a ported system a little later in life.

#15 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 08:07 AM

I would love to do the ported hydro lift mainly for the speed but I don't know how expensive that could end up getting. I will do the electric lift for now and maybe experiment with a ported system a little later in life.

Years ago I tried something a bit different on my MF 10 It was a standard trans.I mounted a power steering pump that I belted off the same pulley that the starter generator used,I just used a longer belt.[Thats where I went wrong]Anyway mounted a small cylinder underneath that ran to the lift lever linkage plus added in a hyralic control valve[just a single valve for double acting cylinder]It worked OK but was very fast.It made the motor work and get hot.I took it all off after a bit of time and went back to manual lift.My big mistake was driving the pump from that big pulley that also drove the starter generator.The pump turned way to fast so it took power away from the motor,cylinder worked way to fast,everything overheated so gave up on that idea.Now what I would do is mount the power steering pump[used one from a wrecker or old car] put a small pulley on the motor to drive the pump[which will get rid of power loss and overheating of the motor and power steering pump]Then of course you'd need to still have a cylinder to do the work and a control valve with the number of connections that you'd want or need.It would be no problem to do.The pump could be gotten cheap,the cylinder,hose's.connectors,control valve,will be your biggest expense.If you have access to some cheap then this might be the way to go if your not to sure about tying into your hydro pump.Just a thougth I'am throwing at you.Larry