Garden Tractor Forums banner

Brillion or Garden All

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  classic 
#1 ·
Here, scratch your head, Wood Motor vehicle Font Gas Nameplate
get back with me and tell me what you think.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thank you everyone. I'd like to see that LAGT article. I think the P57 stands for Pup made in1957 This is a lawn tractor with a 2 bladed belly mower deck. I do not have the original engine. In 1959 the same style pups were part of Starbrand, aka Tractors Inc built in Indianapolis, IN. They were painted red all over with white wheels and steel seat.

#10 ·
Garden All Pups started in about '53 and went through 5 hood styles. They all had the same heavy gauge frame tapered from front to back. Same drive, variable speed and friction reverse. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest Brillion was fabricating frames and axles for them. It would have been easy for them to buy that part of Garden All, the pups (lawn tractors). My Brillion built pup has the last hood and aluminum nose piece. I'll further go out on the limb and say Brillion soon changed their nose style. The Indy built tractors ('59 and '60) carried the same last hood and nose piece as the early Brillion.

The Brillion pictured here (very nice) has the different grill. The sign on the front axle says 1963. It still has the tapered frame and variable speed drive with friction reverse.

I'm interested to learn more. The market was changing from victory gardens to lawn mowing. Fewer large size lawn and garden tractor, two wheelers, and more lawn mowers. It would have made sense for Brillion to buy the rights. What do you think?

#12 ·
Exactly, I think it's the second style. If his wheels were painted red, he'd be pretty close. This model pup was also seen orange all over, sold through National Farm Machinery. It also was sold through the Spiegel Catalog in green and red. The first style was the mailbox hood.

#13 ·
I had to go into the way back machine to find this but check out this thread. http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/6196-whazzat-game-6-2/?hl=+brillion I know I've seen this style grille with a Garden-All emblem in the center. The link to Smokstak shows a side view of the style tractor I'm thinking about. Seems like there was a second thread somewhere on the connection but can't seem to locate it.

#14 ·
I had to go into the way back machine
For those wanting to know what a " way back machine" is Cartoon Mammal Font Art Technology

I really enjoy how every day here on GTTalk I get a history on some type of garden tractor , equipment ect . Thanks Al

Attachments

#16 ·
Mr. Moderator, could I get you to move a picture for me. It is a picture of a Mailbox Garden All Pup. It is a picture posted by HANKG of the Lebanon Tractor show on Feb. 20, 2016. It is the little green tractor, image no. 2 of 14 with a title of Image 1325.jpg, size 67.98KB. A Mailbox Pup is the, I think, first style of the five styles of Garden All Pups. Thank you!

#17 ·
Mr. Moderator, could I get you to move a picture for me. It is a picture of a Mailbox Garden All Pup. It is a picture posted by HANKG of the Lebanon Tractor show on Feb. 20, 2016. It is the little green tractor, image no. 2 of 14 with a title of Image 1325.jpg, size 67.98KB. A Mailbox Pup is the, I think, first style of the five styles of Garden All Pups. Thank you!
I haven't found the thread or is it in the Gallery?

Reactions: GardnMastr
#18 ·
You can actually do this yourself. At the bottom of the pic there is an option to save. Click that and the pic will open full size in another tab. Right click and choose the "save as" option. You can then rename it and save it to your computer. From there you can post it like you normally do. Just give credit for it where it is due.

#20 ·
I learned yesterday the name of the owner of the green and yellow painted Garden All pup. I had met him this summer at Portland, IN. Our introduction was on the subject of Brillion garden tractors. Besides this Pup, he also owns a '63 Brillion garden tractor. I, at the time, was really rusty concerning Brillion, but running this thread helped me get up to speed, and I was able to have a nice phone conversation. We agreed to look up a few more things on each of our ends, and have another talk Has anyone contacted Brillion about their garden tractor history? Or talked to any old time former employees?

#21 ·
Kind of related, kind of a new question. I was asked how many Garden All, Gard'n Mast'r pups were still out there? Before I answered, the questioner ventured a guess of 30. My guess was 200. I know there were 6 styles of hoods made, all with the same single forward gear and variator and friction reverse. The frame never changed, but the engine did. What do you think? Do you have a number in mind? I'll volunteer that I probably own 6, maybe 7. We could do an inventory or use the crystal ball????

#22 ·
In logging serial numbers over the last two weeks, gotten from new friends, I am leaning toward the model number reflects the original engine's horsepower. For example: GP25 is 2.5 horsepower, GP35D is a 3.5 horse Kohler, P57 might be a 5 3/4 horse B&S. Sometimes I think I am talking to myself, I made the last 4 posts, then I see the number of people who look at these topics. Is everyone a lurker? Dive in register an opinion, we're all friendly. At the very least have a nice day! If you have a "pup", post all the information off the frame and engine tag, thank you.

#23 ·
About 99.9999999 % of the people walking on this giant rock flying through space, have absolutely no idea what a Garden-all made tractor is. You never see many people engaging in a long drawn out conversation about these machines, regardless of the model. Lots of pics will draw more attention to these threads, and photo documenting a restoration will also get some people interested. It's just the nature of things when it comes to tractors that aren't very common.

#25 ·
I was at an auction on May 13th and saw this Kadet, Gard'n Mast'r JR, and Page tractor. I was there for the Page and probably should have bid on the Kadet. I just have a bunch of ongoing projects at the moment, so I passed it up.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.