• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#256 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,848 Thanks
  • 4,009 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 03:16 PM

It's hard to get all the trash out when there's so much green stuff involved with the organic farming. Plugging up like that is a real pain, fine line between getting it tight enough to get the grain out, and so tight that it plugs when the weeds are tough. Those old machines, as stated, just don't do the job that the new rotary thresh ones do. On the good side, there's a lot more adjusting you can do with the 95, and fine tuning is the name of the game. I can't even think of the miles I walked behind catching the chaff and counting kernels until MOD got things adjusted just right. Then we'd change fields and do it all over again.

With that many green weeds you'll have to watch for heating if you bin it right away. There were times when we'd just run it through an auger and back into a truck a few times. The auger would be right high and we'd wait for a windy day to blow the trash out before the grain hit the truck.

Really enjoyed the video by the way, thanks.

• Alc, Cvans, BTS and 1 other said thanks

#257 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 10:54 PM

It's hard to get all the trash out when there's so much green stuff involved with the organic farming. Plugging up like that is a real pain, fine line between getting it tight enough to get the grain out, and so tight that it plugs when the weeds are tough. Those old machines, as stated, just don't do the job that the new rotary thresh ones do. On the good side, there's a lot more adjusting you can do with the 95, and fine tuning is the name of the game. I can't even think of the miles I walked behind catching the chaff and counting kernels until MOD got things adjusted just right. Then we'd change fields and do it all over again.

With that many green weeds you'll have to watch for heating if you bin it right away. There were times when we'd just run it through an auger and back into a truck a few times. The auger would be right high and we'd wait for a windy day to blow the trash out before the grain hit the truck.

Really enjoyed the video by the way, thanks.

Thanks for the info, everything worked out got it all adjusted and the old combine cut really good considering the wheat was over 5' tall.

• oldedeeres and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#258 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 11:09 PM

Got all the wheat cut and put up in the bin, a few hours after the grain was in the bin it built up a storm and rained over a half inch. I was glad to have everything finished.

While the family was out I went and picked everyone up a celebratory drink after the wheat was cut (4th picture)

I started mowing the wheat stubble with the Massey Ferguson 35 and bush hog today, the oil pressure seems low on that old tractor? when I got it the PO replaced the oil pump, the tractor doesn't smoke or burn oil, it's a nice running old tractor. The oil gauge is always on 20, after it's run for several hours it drops to around 15 to 10 and that's when I shut it down.

Just recently the tractor started leaking oil from under the dash and onto the shifter. I'm guessing the pressure gauge is leaking? maybe that's why it shows low pressure? I'm not going to run it any longer till I get it sorted out on what it is.

The old tractor was also getting a little hot on me, I dumped in 3/4 gallon of water but it was still getting close to the red mark on the gauge. If I ran the tractor at a low throttle it seemed to run the right temp, but as soon as I sped the engine up the gauge would start climbing. I might try washing out the radiator, I've been doing a fair amount of mowing with it so maybe it's plugging up.

Attached Thumbnails

• Combine Harvest 4.PNG
  • IMG_6983.jpg
  • Combine Harvest 5.PNG
  • Pop Bottle.PNG
  • 20170714_205016.jpg
  • 20170714_205018.jpg
  • 20170714_210452.jpg
  • 20170714_210511.jpg

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#259 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,775 Thanks
  • 5,736 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 11:55 PM

Blow or flush the radiator fins. Made a big difference on both our Fords. Go from both sides of the radiator especially around the the outside of the fans diameter. 

• BTS, oldedeeres, jimmy G and 1 other said thanks

#260 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,587 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 11:58 PM

Happy that you were able to get the combine sorted out and working for you!!!!  Enjoy the fruit of you labor! 

I love the picture of the old tractor and combine together!

• Cvans and BTS have said thanks

#261 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 915 Thanks
  • 623 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 12:45 AM

Blow or flush the radiator fins. Made a big difference on both our Fords. Go from both sides of the radiator especially around the the outside of the fans diameter.

that's good advice (beat me to it AGAIN lol) if the radiator is chaff fouled you might want to screen it,no adjustable air restrictor's I'm guessing (cold climate app.)

#262 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 7,848 Thanks
  • 4,009 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 12:47 AM

I agree with Cvans, nothing like thistle fluff to plug a rad.

#263 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,587 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 12:50 AM

Got all the wheat cut and put up in the bin, a few hours after the grain was in the bin it built up a storm and rained over a half inch. I was glad to have everything finished.

While the family was out I went and picked everyone up a celebratory drink after the wheat was cut (4th picture)

I started mowing the wheat stubble with the Massey Ferguson 35 and bush hog today, the oil pressure seems low on that old tractor? when I got it the PO replaced the oil pump, the tractor doesn't smoke or burn oil, it's a nice running old tractor. The oil gauge is always on 20, after it's run for several hours it drops to around 15 to 10 and that's when I shut it down.

Just recently the tractor started leaking oil from under the dash and onto the shifter. I'm guessing the pressure gauge is leaking? maybe that's why it shows low pressure? I'm not going to run it any longer till I get it sorted out on what it is.

The old tractor was also getting a little hot on me, I dumped in 3/4 gallon of water but it was still getting close to the red mark on the gauge. If I ran the tractor at a low throttle it seemed to run the right temp, but as soon as I sped the engine up the gauge would start climbing. I might try washing out the radiator, I've been doing a fair amount of mowing with it so maybe it's plugging up.

Does the A/C work on the combine?

• BTS said thank you

#264 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 7,848 Thanks
  • 4,009 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 01:09 AM

When we used the 95 we had two versions of A.C. First was to open the windows and tie the door back, second was to remove the cab, LOL.

• Cvans, BTS and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#265 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 06:40 AM

Thanks everyone!

I'll get the radiator washed/blown out today (if I get the time).

• oldedeeres said thank you

#266 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:04 AM

That combine has a swamp cooler, it isn't working, I didn't bother getting it going for on how little I was going to use the combine.
It is needing the pad inside replaced, it is also missing the bucket for the water.

I might get it going one of these days just for the fun of it.

It was breezy enough when I was cutting, the open windows and door kept it cool enough.

Edited by BTS, July 15, 2017 - 07:47 AM.

• KennyP, oldedeeres and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#267 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,775 Thanks
  • 5,736 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 01:22 PM

:bigrofl:

• BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks