#136 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,338 Thanks
  • 2,006 posts

Posted May 11, 2017 - 11:24 PM

How's the wind in your part of KS.? Is that tall wheat going to lodge on you? Lodging is a real problem up here when it gets wet and windy at the same time, makes harvesting a real pain.

It depends on the day, the wind hasn't been very bad lately, but Sunday they are saying around 25mph. We will find out what happens then.

I'll keep you posted

Edited by BTS, May 11, 2017 - 11:25 PM.

#137 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,338 Thanks
  • 2,006 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 10:39 PM

Things have been super busy lately, between work, high tunnel, things needing done around the farm and it's been hard to get things done since the wind has been blowing 40mph all week.

My sister texted me the other day saying she needs help, she is a teacher (first year) teaching 3rd grade, yesterday was the last day the students were there and I'm not sure what all happened but I guess the principle chewed out some of the teachers in front of the students and parents at some big last day of school thing. My sisters friend was the one that got screamed at (for no reason) so that evening my sisters friend said she is quitting and my sister said she is quitting too because it's a matter of time before she gets screamed at for no reason + she hates a couple other coworkers and one coworker makes her job impossible. She is always yelling at my sister, once she called her out in the staff kitchen saying how she's wasting money because she bought a can of pop from the pop machine, she also treats everyone in the whole school like they are 5 years old but the last straw was at the end of the last day, that lady sent everyone in the school a email, talking about the students grades and at the end of it it said "(my sisters name) Don't worry you can do better next year" . My sisters students tested out as good as any of the other students which is surprising because this was her first year teaching. It's not like she just told my sister that, but it was on a email sent to everyone so it made it that much worse. SO I went to her school yesterday evening and started loading all the junk from her classroom. We had the Subaru pretty much full and my sister said that there is just 4 plastic filing cabinets and some other small stuff left, we can get them tomorrow. I go back the next morning (bare in mind it's a hour drive) and I start loading some stuff, then she remembers her small refrigerator and then she started pulling out things that she wanted to take and before you know it we had this huge pile of stuff that needed to go. I ended up leaving the fridge behind, she got it free and it's always freezing everything so it's not a huge loss. I started packing everything in, putting as much as I could into boxes and stacking everything very neatly. I got everything to fit (except the fridge) I didn't have any rope to tie it to the roof.

After everything was packed and ready to roll, it turns out my sisters friend isn't quitting after all :mad2: . My sister said that she is quitting either way which was good because I was not going to carry everything back in :(.

So now she is worried that she won't be able to find another job, I don't think she has much to worry about, the school she was at is a pretty poor school, all the other teachers there said once you work there, you will be able to get a job anywhere.

The principle wasn't happy that she was quitting and wanted to know why?. My sister said that she is never was told to do something but instead screamed at because she did something wrong but she never knew it was wrong to begin with because no one told her.

She also complained on how horrible the other lady is, so they said my sister can file a suit with H-R, they ended up talking to everyone in the school and everyone agreed with my sister on how awful that lady is.

The last picture is of the Turkey Red Wheat, I measured it and it is 4' 7" tall!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20170518-WA0004.jpg
  • IMG-20170518-WA0005.jpg
  • IMG-20170518-WA0006.jpg
  • IMG-20170518-WA0007.jpg
  • IMG-20170517-WA0010.jpg

Edited by BTS, May 18, 2017 - 10:52 PM.

• KennyP, Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks

#138 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,365 Thanks
  • 5,513 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 11:55 PM

Did you ever get the Volvo running correctly?

• BTS said thank you

#139 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,338 Thanks
  • 2,006 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 08:38 AM

Did you ever get the Volvo running correctly?

It's on the to do list, I drive it around locally (which is a lot) but if I go to the bigger towns I take the Subaru,

• Cvans said thank you

#140 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,278 Thanks
  • 29,444 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 09:23 PM

Wow, that's a lot of stuff.
  • BTS said thank you

#141 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,338 Thanks
  • 2,006 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 10:14 PM

Still been busy, trying to get more of the garden in, the ground has been super muddy and we haven't gotten rain in a week. I've been tilling it and letting it dry out then till it again and let it dry and so on so forth. The ground is terribly cloddy, I keep tilling it and the clods don't seem to be going anywhere so I went ahead and planted melons, pumpkins, potatoes, beans and I'm going to put corn in tomorrow.

It made me mad the other day, I advertised 12 large (38" rim) tractor tires that have the sidewalls cut off for raised garden beds, we used them for several years but now with the high tunnels we just don't need them. Anyway, I put them on  Craigslist for FREE and about 30min after the ad was on some guy called me and said he wants all of them! He said he will be out in a couple hours and I said GREAT!. I went out with the Kubota, I was able to hook onto one at a time with the loader bucket and then carry them across the 3 acres at a whopping 1 to 2mph. It took me about a hour to get all the tires piled up in the middle of the driveway so they would be easy to load. I finished at the same time he was suppose to come, I then hung out waiting and waiting, 30min go by and I call him. I got his answering machine and I asked if he was still coming? (fair question). He never called, never showed up and it's been about 4 days now. I took the Kubota and pushed the tires up to the side of the driveway so I can get my vehicles out. I left them there hoping someone else was going to call about them but so far no luck. I guess now I need to haul them around back again :wallbanging: . I don't care if the guy canceled, it would be nice if I would have known before I hauled the tires around :mad2:

My sister and brother are getting closer to going to NZ. Their biggest issue is selling their house in Tulsa, they are afraid of not being able to sell it in time. Well the other day a couple knocked on their door, they heard that they are wanting to sell their house and they want to buy it. They said they looked up the value of the houses in that area and they asked if they take such in such of a amount which is around $20k more then what they were thinking the place was worth. So I guess we will see if they follow through with it.

I went out today and took a look at the wheat field in town. Man that wheat's getting tall, it measured off at 5' 6" tall!

I also had some surprising news this morning, I got a call saying my uncle had passed away (moms brother), he was only 65, he had a stroke probably 3 years ago while he was driving, he pulled right out in front of a loaded grain truck, it could of been worse but between the wreck and the stroke he was never the same. I don't know what the cause of death was, he was a good example on why you shouldn't party your whole life :(

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170527_102832.jpg
  • IMG-20170527-WA0008.jpg
  • IMG-20170527-WA0006.jpg
  • 20170527_200751.jpg
  • 20170527_200801.jpg
  • 20170527_200908.jpg

Edited by BTS, May 27, 2017 - 11:11 PM.

• oldedeeres and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#142 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,338 Thanks
  • 2,006 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 11:30 PM

Just noticed, this makes 2001 post! :dancingbanana:

• oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#143 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,275 Thanks
  • 3,754 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 11:51 PM

Congratulations!!
  • BTS said thank you

#144 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,338 Thanks
  • 2,006 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 11:17 PM

Got more work done on the high tunnel but I forgot to get pictures, I got the 2 row Allis corn planter set up on the Massey, it has been a year since I have touched the planter and it needed a fair amount of greasing and adjusting. It took several hours to get it all working smooth + I had to build adapters to fit my new John Deere corn plates but that only took about 10 minutes per plate.
After all of that it took me about 5 minutes to plant 6 80' rows of corn and I will be planting another 6 rows in about 3 weeks.

I took some pictures and measurements at the wheat field tonight, most of the wheat is around 5' tall with some of the wheat measuring just over 5'6" at the top of the hairs.  I cut off a head on the Turkey Red Wheat and then cut a head off of the new variety of wheat from the field across from mine. You can see in the picture, the new variety is on the left and the turkey red is on the right. The turkey red is even 3 weeks behind the new verities so it still has some filling out to do. I also counted 32 seeds on the new variety and 47 seeds on the turkey red.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170528_203809.jpg
  • 20170528_204317.jpg
  • 20170528_211800.jpg
  • 20170528_215155.jpg

• Alc, Cvans, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#145 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,338 Thanks
  • 2,006 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:16 AM

Forgot the planter pictures

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20170528-WA0002.jpg
  • IMG-20170528-WA0003.jpg
  • IMG-20170528-WA0000.jpg
  • IMG-20170528-WA0001.jpg
  • IMG-20170528-WA0006.jpg

• Alc, Cvans, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#146 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,070 Thanks
  • 6,985 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:11 AM

Those full size planters look even bigger behind your mid size tractor ! How heavy is each one ?
  • Cvans and BTS have said thanks

#147 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,338 Thanks
  • 2,006 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:46 PM

Those full size planters look even bigger behind your mid size tractor ! How heavy is each one ?

I'm not sure what they weigh, I do know I tried to pick up the front corner to get it hooked up and it wasn't going to happen, my brother stopped by and we were both able to lift and put logs under it to hold it up higher. The tool bar it's mounted on is solid and all the framing/3-pt mount is all 3/4" 3" solid strap. The Massey 35 picks it up with no issues and my Kubota L2000 (20hp) can pick it up but it is nose end light if the loader is off. This was a 4 row planter but I cut it in two and sold the other half for the same price I paid for the whole thing :rocker2:.

It seems to be a good planter, I will see how it did once the corn comes up. :biting_nails:

• Mark 149 J. said thank you