#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,978 Thanks
  • 2,330 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 11:42 PM

HELLO!, as many may know I was talking about moving to New Zealand, it looks like I am leaving in just under 2 years. My sister, brother in law and niece (who is 1 years old) is leaving for NZ in less then a year, my brother, sister and mom are leaving with me when I go.

I decided to start this thread to help keep me motivated and getting a lot of projects done before I leave. (hints the tittle Now Till NZ)

A lot of my projects are no small task, like siding the house,  tare down the old barn, build a high tunnel, build 2 greenhouses, build 2 hoop buildings (shop and machine shed) + to many other projects to post tonight. Right now I have been working on getting junk cleaned up, I have way to much stuff and junk around. I can't even mow my 3 acres so everything is going!. I have started gathering up all the junk since last year and I have been pilling it all on a tarp to keep the weeds out. I'm guessing I have around 12,000lbs, I have been waiting for scrap prices to go up but so far it hasn't. Right now if I hauled it all in, I would loose money after tires and fuel (not including time). I just now ran a add on CL trying to sell the junk cheap, I just want it gone so I can build my buildings where the junk is sitting.

I am getting ready to run some adds for a old Cub Cadet, a heckendorn walk behind mower and a bunch other junk.

I am selling off everything before I move or everything is going to be sold with the farm.

I am hoping to post more tomorrow, hoping to get a lot of work done on the farm tomorrow (tues) the weather is going to be really nice and I have off work! yaaaaaa

Attached Thumbnails

• Pictures 631.jpg
  • Pictures 640.jpg
  • Pictures 643.jpg
  • Pictures 644.jpg
  • Pictures 647.jpg
  • Pictures 648.jpg
  • Pictures 666.jpg
  • Pictures 717.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,536 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 12:23 AM

Looks like some tresures there. I see what looks like a nice pull behind mower, some engines, equipment, tractor or (3)? Too bad you weren't closer!!!! Id atleast look at the mower, and engines.
  • hamman and BTS have said thanks

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 01:08 AM

All I can do is wish you the best of luck. You surely have your work cut out for you. Lots of long days and short nights. 

#4 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,897 Thanks
  • 1,279 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 04:46 AM

looks like Fun.

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,962 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 06:57 AM

And the best of luck to you on getting all your projects done.

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,002 Thanks
  • 6,171 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 07:47 AM

Why go to all the work of moving all that "junk" and then have to move it again?  Sell it to the scrapers right where it is and let them sort and cut it the way they want.  Guess I don't understand the reason to build more buildings when your selling the place.  Chances of you getting your money back are slim to none so why do it.  Let the buyer do the building when ,where, and how they want it.  Improvements to your house will boost the resale price so no problem there but I would look long and hard at those "other projects" if it were me.

• hamman, BTS, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,856 Thanks
  • 3,395 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 07:49 AM

Don't you need a decent job or at least a decent income to live there? I would think you would anyways? In Europe you need to at least have a €60k a year salary to even be considered for permanent residency. And some countries make tou denouce your original home land citizenship!
  • hamman, BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 6,063 Thanks
  • 3,331 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 08:03 AM

NZ is beautiful, what are your plans ? inquiring minds want to know, and as chiefan noted why build blds. on a property your leaving ? justsaynisall .
  • hamman, BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,972 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 10:52 AM

As I read the OP I was thinking exactly like Chieffan (that doesn't sound good  :poke: ) Why go through all that building and work to only move to NZ.  

Don't you need a decent job or at least a decent income to live there? I would think you would anyways? In Europe you need to at least have a €60k a year salary to even be considered for permanent residency. And some countries make tou denouce your original home land citizenship!

When I lived in Spain I knew quite a few retires that live there year round but were able to keep their citizenship here.  That was many, many years ago and that may have changed.  

• BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,537 Thanks
  • 4,397 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 12:44 PM

Cleaning it up and getting rid of "junk" I can see..... neat and orderly sells property up here. But I do agree about adding buildings, etc. Folks want to build to suit their own needs and feel that now they own it because they have built something. Just my opinion.     I'm looking forward to watching your posts as the move gets closer, what a great adventure!  Kudos!!

• Cvans, BTS and HANKG have said thanks

#11 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,978 Thanks
  • 2,330 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 01:50 PM

The buildings that I am putting up are hoop buildings, they are basically a greenhouse with a white plastic instead of clear. I already have the buildings sitting here on my trailer, (one 20'WX40L'X12'H and the other is 30'WX40L'X15'H) I bought these buildings about 4 months ago before I knew I was going to move. I want to put them up so I have a place to store machinery (my combine now has a tarp over it) and also the smaller one will be my shop. I will still have a good 2 years use out of them so they are not going to wast.

I am still trying to sort out what I am going to do when I get there, I want to continue what I am doing here now, which is small scale farming and large scale gardening. I know I doubt I will be able to jump right into that when I get to NZ, I will probably half to get a job someplace for 2 years while I get my citizenship. I don't care if I give up my U.S citizenship, once I leave I will never come back here because I won't have anything to come back to.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,193 Thanks
  • 5,630 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 05:31 PM

I thought most immigration policies required you to have an employable skill that was in demand in their country.

I just figured the I want to move to your coubtry, I promise I'll find something to do until I get my papers...Wouldn't work out.
  • BTS said thank you

#13 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,537 Thanks
  • 4,397 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 11:09 PM

O.K. now I understand the part about the buildings, good plan.
  • BTS said thank you

#14 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,978 Thanks
  • 2,330 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 11:50 PM

O.K. now I understand the part about the buildings, good plan.

Sorry I'm not good at explaining things :hitting_self_roller:

#15 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,978 Thanks
  • 2,330 posts

Posted February 08, 2017 - 12:00 AM

I did some looking around, there are a lot of farming jobs and if you take a high demand job then it makes it easy to get a citizenship if you keep the job for 2 years. You half to make over $45,000 a year,  these farming jobs pay around $50 to $55,000 a year and most of these jobs have a farm house that goes with it.

I really want to do my own farming with the organic grains being made into flour, but this is a good way to get to NZ and to get started.

I got a bunch more junk cleaned up today, tomorrow (weds) is going to be cold (38 for a high) so I will probably stay in and rebuild the carb for my Mobility Loader.