#1 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,845 Thanks
  • 5,517 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 09:48 PM

I try to tell myself stop buying something you already have you dont have any room!  Well that dont work when I good priced HT20 turns up a hour from home in the area of another bolens bud of mine.   Glad he stop buying them I know he would of been all over it.     So went to go get her made the deal on her the guy handed me the books and we loaded the tractor plus deck.  Along the way to get the HT20 we spot something we knew we would have go back to look at. It turns out to be a HT23 but owner was not looking to sell and she was in some ruff shape.  It would of been great to finally add a HT23 to the fleet but that one was not the one ment to be.  

So the fun starts when we get her home.  After a hour of getting the 1000 hickory nuts out from around the flywheel we went to work to make her run.    New fuel lines, new fuel pump, change the rusty tank out for a spare we had was just a start.  Then removing the heads, decarb them, sanding them back flat, free the stuck valve, add new head gaskets and put the heads back on.  Onto cleaning the carb, new point and condenser new air cleaner, change the oil, and that's done.  New spark plugs, wires and she is about ready to run! Did I forget to say she got a trip down to the car was for a good hot bath.   Now onto adding gas and seeing if she will run!   

Well she ran and I have say she is smooth as can be in the hydro and engine.   I think her name is now hickory also because of all the nuts. 

Hope you guys like the video sorry for the shaky ride along.  

fgh1234112 171.jpg  fgh1234112 173.jpg  fgh1234112 168.jpg  fgh1234112 169.jpg  fgh1234112 170.jpg  fgh1234112 199.jpg  fgh1234112 201.jpg  fgh1234112 198.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, LPBolens and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,630 Thanks
  • 17,964 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 09:58 PM

Looks like its in pretty decent shape !

With so many machines do you drain the fuel and pull the batterys in the ones you dont use often or do you get to fire the runners up once a year?

• wilberj and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#3 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 10:05 PM

Looks in good condition, and I really like the decals on this one.

Sounds good too!

What year you figure Hickory is?

Edited by stiemmy, February 06, 2017 - 10:08 PM.

• wilberj said thank you

#4 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 446 Thanks
  • 450 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 11:00 PM

Nice your shop looks nice as well. Is that big building you were driving along yours? With that many tractors, I'm guessing yes!
  • wilberj said thank you

#5 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 12:29 AM

Nice your shop looks nice as well. Is that big building you were driving along yours? With that many tractors, I'm guessing yes!

Funny, I was thinking the same thing while watching. I was also counting. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.....yep, 10 deep x 10 across thats a hundo!! Lol
  • wilberj said thank you

#6 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,187 Thanks
  • 744 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 03:44 AM

Someday when I grow up I hope I can have just 1 LF with the attachments I need. Just 1, is that too much to ask! :shoot2:

• Bolens 1000 and wilberj have said thanks

#7 slf-uk OFFLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 356 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 03:44 AM

Very nice HT20, it seems to run very well. I am very impressed by the number of Bolens you have and I must to admit to feeling somewhat deprived.

I too would also be interested to know how you keep a fleet of this size going. I know from my modest collection I have put a tractor in storage because of a minor issue and by the time I get round to fixing it, it turns into a much bigger task.

Iain

• wilberj and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#8 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,453 Thanks
  • 1,103 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 10:20 AM

I never had a bolens I'm starting to get the itch to take a step over to you guys side. And try one out. Nice tractor!
  • wilberj and stiemmy have said thanks

#9 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,453 Thanks
  • 1,103 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 10:21 AM

Very nice HT20, it seems to run very well. I am very impressed by the number of Bolens you have and I must to admit to feeling somewhat deprived.

I too would also be interested to know how you keep a fleet of this size going. I know from my modest collection I have put a tractor in storage because of a minor issue and by the time I get round to fixing it, it turns into a much bigger task.

Iain

I'd like to know how he does it Too! I have about 10 tractors and can't even keep a battery in all of them I'm always switching them from tractor to tractor
  • wilberj said thank you

#10 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 48806
  • 1,357 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 10:34 AM

That's a good looking 2086. Sounds good too. Nice addition.
  • wilberj said thank you

#11 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,603 Thanks
  • 1,135 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 10:36 AM

Sounds lovely; can't wait to drive mine. How many Large Frames have you got now?!

Edited by Bolens800uk, February 07, 2017 - 03:51 PM.

• wilberj said thank you

#12 BolensChrisUK OFFLINE  

BolensChrisUK
  • Member No: 77828
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 12:39 PM

Thats just crazy :thumbs:

Thats in good shape. V rare to find a good one in UK like that

• wilberj said thank you

#13 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,845 Thanks
  • 5,517 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 11:26 PM

Looks like its in pretty decent shape !

With so many machines do you drain the fuel and pull the batterys in the ones you dont use often or do you get to fire the runners up once a year?

Looks in good condition, and I really like the decals on this one.

Sounds good too!

What year you figure Hickory is?

Funny, I was thinking the same thing while watching. I was also counting. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.....yep, 10 deep x 10 across thats a hundo!! Lol

Iain

I'd like to know how he does it Too! I have about 10 tractors and can't even keep a battery in all of them I'm always switching them from tractor to tractor

Sounds lovely; can't wait to drive mine. How many Large Frames have you got now?!

Hickory Is a 1973.

The new HT20 makes 26 total, a handful are parts tractors.  

keep all them running?  That would be one hard task to do!  I have a main group of around 20 I keep going then there are more like a I will get to it when I have time group or the restore list group. Then there a small group of parts tractors.   I love to have them all running but just the cost in batterys put a stop to that among a lot of other things.      Storage does depend on what tractor gets used what part of the year but I try to winterize them If time lets me.  

The building I am driving by is a building I had a chance to buy but I passed buying  the whole lot. We instead did a land split with the owner and now own the smaller of the two buildings that were on the property.  Its a 30 by 38 part brick part pole barn building with 14 foot ceilings that we spent most of last summer fixing up and plan to finish what was left this spring.     

• Bolens 1000, stiemmy and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#14 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted February 08, 2017 - 12:04 AM

Man the ol gal looks great for a 73!
  • wilberj said thank you