• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Mustard Tiger ONLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • Member No: 84537
  • 81 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 06:41 PM

I'm not being a smarty asking this I'm serious. What else can we do in the garden with our tractors besides plow and cultivate/till.

In theory we should be able to plant and harvest most anything.  If Russians can do it with puny little commie walk behinds then we've got no excuse:

• Alc, salty, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#17 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,017 Thanks
  • 5,874 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 09:00 PM

He's got some Rubles tied up in that potato picker but it does a nice job. 

#18 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 247 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted February 08, 2017 - 02:09 PM

He's got some Rubles tied up in that potato picker but it does a nice job. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he had made it.  There are a number of utubes of people in eastern Europe making their own attachments for walk behind tractors, including spud diggers.  I got sucked into watching a number of these.  Very impressed by the can do attitude with rudimentary equipment or materials, and the seat of the pants engineering.  However, these utubes can turn into a major time sponge!

We have so much to work with in the US compared to some of the other countries. 

Regards,

Doug

• Alc, Cvans, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#19 daniel_b OFFLINE  

daniel_b
  • Member No: 65956
  • 95 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 05:18 PM

Does anyone do any gardening work with their tractor other than just plowing and/or tilling? 

It seems like small scale planters, harvesters, etc are all for cat 1 hitches and 540 PTOs, as well as being insanely expensive. 

I've seen plenty of people using them with 10-12 HP little old kubotas, so power shouldn't be an issue.  Does anyone know if there's anything out there for GTs, possibly even reasonably priced?

Mustard Tiger,
many good answers,
the following is just my humble personal opinion...

I think what you are asking is really two different things, scale-wise.

Yesterday's world and today's world are two different things entirely. So you have to look at things while trying to keep the socio-economic-historical perspective in mind.
Yesterday:
 -  food took up a much larger share of our $$$/budget
 -  most of us were not-too-long off-the-farm
 -  were independent do-things-on-our-own by nature
 -  were responsible for ourselves and our own family unit
 -  weren't the number and types of social programs available, [read: welfare]
 -  "manual-labor" was NOT a crime-against-nature
 -  the MEDIA did not rule our lives, [facebook, u-tube]
etc. and so on...

Look at the sizes of the lots when "suburbia" was being born, way to small to borrow Dad's "farm-tractor" to use it..., so spade it by hand...
Industrialization and mechanization were also being born on the small-scale now, and human-nature, (easier-way-to-do-things), being what it is...
Yes, manufacturers had been building "lawn-mowers" - BUT, seeing a new niche to fill, they also began to manufacture something called "garden-tractors"
Question, think now, when was the last time you saw something called a "garden-tractor" advertised for sale?, the late '80s into the early '90s?  
Yeah, that's when the compact and sub-compact tractors were becoming popular.
Besides "garden-tractors" were for just that, if you were into "truck-farming" - well a whole different set of equipment.

You mentioned them "orange things" - I would say they were, if not the originators of the compact and SCUT units, at least were among the first.
When everybody else was making bigger, and BIGGER tractors, well, Kubota saw their niche and filled it very well.

SOOO, if you were  "garden-tractoring" in the back-yard on a 1 acre lot or so, you just needed equipment to prep/till the soil, really didn't need "planting-harvesting" equipment, you planted-gathered it by hand. But, with some acreage, 5, 10, 20, or so, if you were "truck-farming" - well, yeah, but that equipment was bigger with more horse-power and thusly needed to use the class 1 or 2, 3-point hook-ups.
hitch classes:

Look this up, Allis-Chalmers Model G, IMHO, the finest piece of "truck-farming" equipment ever designed/built, bar-none:

as for fuel economy, from here:

...Test H was run in second gear - at a speed of 3.2 mph a pull of 851 pounds with a slippage of 7.8% wass recorded, along with an output of 7.26 drawbar horsepower and a fuel economy of 7.64 horsepower hours per gallon. A maximum low-gear pull of 1.143 pounds was noted in Test G. At a Test C operating maximum load of 10.07 belt horsepower, fuel economy was recorded at 9.06 horsepower hours per gallon. By comparison, fuel economy slipped very slightly to 8.74 under a Test D rated load of 9.37 belt horsepower...

Wouldn't be afraid to bet there are a number of them owned by members here. :thumbs:

Will say tho' - don't recall seeing anyone put a FEL on one... :D   :poke:

excuse the long dissertation, this really is the condensed version... :wallbanging:   :rocker2:

• Cvans and propane1 have said thanks