• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mustard Tiger ONLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • Member No: 84537
  • 81 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 07:55 PM

Does anyone do any gardening work with their tractor other than just plowing and/or tilling?  It seems like small scale planters, harvesters, etc are all for cat 1 hitches and 540 PTOs, as well as being insanely expensive.  I've seen plenty of people using them with 10-12 HP little old kubotas, so power shouldn't be an issue.  Does anyone know if there's anything out there for GTs, possibly even reasonably priced?

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,988 Thanks
  • 3,862 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 08:41 PM

I make what I need or can, to use on mine. I plant potatoes.

Noel
  • Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,800 Thanks
  • 6,035 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 08:43 PM

Don't do any actual harvesting but do most of the cultivating between the rows and all the ground prep work with a GT.  Once the crops get so tall you run into clearance problems and do more damage than good with a GT, unless you have real wide row spacing.

• Alc, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,843 Thanks
  • 8,682 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 08:50 PM

Look at some of the brochures in our Manuals Section. WWW.SimpleTrACtors.net has info on the many attachments for old AC and Simplicity GTs. Good Luck, Rick
  • Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 09:41 PM

Look at some of the brochures in our Manuals Section. WWW.SimpleTrACtors.net has info on the many attachments for old AC and Simplicity GTs. Good Luck, Rick

There are Bolens Tractor/Attachment brochures here on the Bolen forums, and I'm pretty sure the Ford/Jake flavors have the same in thiers.

I'm almost sure there are more here, but can't say for sure.;)

Back to the original question, I only use my Fel for hauling in dirt, and spreding it, and tiller after that. The Fel gets used for alot of other chores though besides the garden. Don't do any actual harvesting. I use the machines more for utilitarian work than anything.

Edited by stiemmy, February 06, 2017 - 10:00 PM.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,435 Thanks
  • 7,238 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 06:39 AM

I have a few that I use , besides plowing and tilling , make the furrows for potatoes , hilling them and crops like beans .  I've made mounds to plant in , think small raised beds .  Then the standard stuff like cultivating between rows . Other then using the middle buster or  potato plow , for digging them up . I can't think of anything else as far as harvesting . Though I have grown crops to use as mulch , using the various implements for planting , cutting , raking .

http://gardentractor...sses-for-mulch/

• oldedeeres, propane1 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,779 Thanks
  • 4,882 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 06:48 AM

Probably never was a big enough market for the small harvest equipment. Most of what I see is designed for a couple acres of a crop. Some of the European countries have a much wider variety than what the US ever offered.
  • Alc said thank you

#8 Deerefarmer41 OFFLINE  

Deerefarmer41
  • Member No: 10761
  • 39 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 08:20 AM

Like others, I used mine for plowing and tilling. I also use my GT for planting. Have my walk behind planter set up to use behind tractor. Buying a new Hoss seeder this year and will set it up the same. Then cultivate over the rows as long as possible. Then use the GT to harvest root crops. Probably could plant just as easy with pushing walk behind, but like that seat time!
  • Alc said thank you

#9 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 1,173 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 08:51 AM

I use my garden tractors to get the soil ready to plant and for planting potatoes, but thats it. My garden is fenced in so trying to weed between rows with a GT just doesn't work.

Jim

• Alc, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#10 SimplyRad ONLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 863 Thanks
  • 688 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 09:11 AM

Back when I rented from a farmer I used my GT tiller or cultivator to keep weeds from between the rows as I just used however much field I needed. I have raised beds now so just do it by hand.

• Alc said thank you

#11 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,453 Thanks
  • 1,103 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 10:17 AM

I'm not being a smarty asking this I'm serious. What else can we do in the garden with our tractors besides plow and cultivate/till.

#12 Mustard Tiger ONLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • Member No: 84537
  • 81 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 10:39 AM

Noel

Did you make a potato planter?  I've seen some for sale that I am sure would work since they are ground driven, but at $4000 its out of the question.  Considering how little there is to them, finding someone locally to make one is probably my best bet.

• propane1 said thank you

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,008 Thanks
  • 5,870 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 11:07 AM

I'm with Propane1 on this. I've converted some old horse drawn equipment for use behind the GT's. Just some of the things getting done are.

Digging, Sub-soiling, dragging, tilling, spraying, mowing down corn stalks, digging potatoes, cultivating, laying out the rows, and rolling. You could also plow, blade, seed, and water with a GT. I'm sure with a little imagination there would be other things. Forgot the loader of all things. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by Cvans, February 07, 2017 - 11:11 AM.

• oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#14 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,988 Thanks
  • 3,862 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 11:07 AM

Not yet, but it would be fairly simple. I have an idea but hard to explain. What I did last year was took an 8" sod plow, made one furrow in tilled or worked garden, then had a basket full of potato sets on the tractor, then drove beside the furrow and dropped the sets either in the furrow or beside the plowed up ground, then replowed to cover the sets. Both ways worked good. Also hard to explain. The tractor I use was was a lgt 100 ford which has a creeper gear. This is the gear I used, with engine on idle while I was dropping the sets in. Worked great.
I have plows, disks, cultivators, middle buster plow, tiller, loader, I use for gardening. Grew 600 lbs of potatoes last year.

Noel

Also note where the plow is mounted on the tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Alc, Cvans, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#15 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,363 Thanks
  • 3,261 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 11:23 AM

My garden is only 24x50 so I would rather plant close & tend it manually. I do use the tractor for plowing,discing & raking.
  • oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks