• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 polarisdiesel OFFLINE  

polarisdiesel
  • Member No: 81814
  • 7 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 11:37 PM

Hello guys, I've posted on here before about my Polaris ranger with a yanmar 3tnm72 I wasn't able to login with my old account so I started a new one. My problem is my throttle is very stiff. At idle it's easy but if I rev the engine to 3400 or about it's like I'm having to force it real hard. With the engine off there's no problem so it's something in the pump. It has full cut delivery valves and the fuel screw maxed out, also has a aftermarket lift pump to keep a constant 18psi feed pressure. Can anyone help me with what's going on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 4,968 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 06:11 AM

With the pump already reworked, I would start by checking if the changes are correct.

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,562 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 06:25 AM

I'm sure you looked through a manual like this , it's supposed to be for yours , if not might give you some idea of what might be the cause

Attached Files

• ducky said thank you

#4 polarisdiesel OFFLINE  

polarisdiesel
  • 7 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 09:18 AM

Thank you for the manual, I had looked through one before and everything seems to be in order, it just seems like the governor is pushing back on the throttle. It wouldn't be much if a problem it was a throttle lever but beings it has a regular gas pedal it feels like I'm going to break something

#5 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,335 Thanks
  • 1,520 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 09:23 AM

I believe it has something to do with the geometry of it being gas pedal versus a hand throttle. Our diesels are the same way. 

• Alc said thank you

#6 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,536 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 05:41 PM

The fuel screw maxed out by means of adjusted slightly for more power, or literally no more threads to turn it?

So in regards to my last question, is this a mechanical throttle connection to the HPOP?

I'm wordering if your stop screw being "maxed out" is the contributing factor?

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,856 Thanks
  • 3,395 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 07:41 AM

Its caused by the governor fly weights! The faster they turn the harder the throttle gets. If the rig has an auto trans it really doesnt need much of a governor.
I believe the tractor puller diesel builders have a cure for it? May be zack Kerber that has something?

#8 polarisdiesel OFFLINE  

polarisdiesel
  • 7 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 12:13 PM

It is a mechanical pump and that's exactly what it feels like the flyweights are pushing back on the throttle lever/gas pedal. It has a cvt transmission which is very much like a automatic just doesn't have gears to shift between. My worry about deleting the governor would be that it could easily over rev once the the clutches are shifted all the way out, not really a problem in high range but in low it could definitely happen. Unless there's another limiting device that will stop my engine from doing that. As it is now it will rev to 5k

#9 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 12:23 PM

I have several small diesels here and none of them tries to pull the throttle shut. Has it always done this?

#10 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,856 Thanks
  • 3,395 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 02:19 PM

You stop the over rev with a throttle stop screw. So it cant be over throttled. This is all the governor does, it doesnt let it over rev by mechanically forcing the throttle back.
I wouls set it to 4000rpm and lock it.
  • polarisdiesel said thank you

#11 polarisdiesel OFFLINE  

polarisdiesel
  • 7 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 03:10 PM

Yes it's always done it but recently it broke the throttle cable and got me concerned. So do y'all know of a way to make the governor not work and I can set the high speed screw to 4K or so.

#12 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 04:17 PM

You might post on one of the ATV or UTV forums and see if this is common. If not I would try and find out what' s different about yours. 

Edited by Cvans, February 10, 2017 - 04:18 PM.

#13 polarisdiesel OFFLINE  

polarisdiesel
  • 7 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 08:20 PM

The people that has the diesels don't really play with them like I do. Their used for farms like their attended for. I will try and reach out to some of them though. Thank you for the help

#14 polarisdiesel OFFLINE  

polarisdiesel
  • 7 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 02:03 PM

Hey guys just an update, I ended up taking the governor side of my pump off to see exactly how it works and if there was someway to eliminate the flyweights in there all together. Turns out it's impossible, the governor is tied into the idling and without it once to do get the engine to start its wide open. So what I did was shorten the governor spring inside there to make it a little tighter. I didn't shorten it much just a little. I also removed the little arm that the fuel screw hits when it's wide open. In return this allowed me to lengthen the arm on the pump that controls the throttle. This made the throttle much more smooth and it doesn't do the pulsing when I accelerate like it used to.

• Cvans said thank you