17 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,791 Thanks
  • 1,259 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 12:52 PM

Hi, as many do I have a couple of Suburbans and other makes  with starter/generators and the old Delco voltage regulators often go into retirement, I've been buying a reasonably priced aftermarket one and have had good results, but I keep wondering if anyone has a solid stater generator regulator, I've installed and used solid state generator controller / regulators on my airplane and they worked great virtually makes a generator work like an alternator rock solid 14.2  voltage no electrical noise (not a big deal on a GT but very important in an aircraft) the generator still has to come up to coming in RPM's to go online but after that its locked in.

Anyway my searching has lead me to a solid stater generator regulator  that is sold for the older Harley's   that have Delco generator these are 10 amp 12 volt and range in price form $30.00 to over $100.00

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

So what do you fellows think?

Edited by MNGB, February 05, 2017 - 12:54 PM.

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,009 Thanks
  • 6,174 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 01:42 PM

I'll stay with the old standard from one of our good sponsors.  Has never steered me wrong yet and bought a couple parts off him.

• boyscout862 and MNGB have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,028 Thanks
  • 8,800 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 02:26 PM

The old regulators required periodic maintenance. In our Manuals Section is a Delco-Remy pamphlet on testing and maintaining regulators. A bad battery will be very hard on a voltage regulator. Good Luck, Rick

Here are the old pamphlets:  http://gardentractor...rvice-bulletin/  and   http://gardentractor...lletin-img-150/

Edited by boyscout862, February 05, 2017 - 03:00 PM.

• MNGB said thank you

#4 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,791 Thanks
  • 1,259 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 02:46 PM

Hi rick, yea I have Delco manuals on generators & voltage regulators, I have a question have you adjusted and gotten a VR to come back to life?

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,028 Thanks
  • 8,800 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 03:30 PM

Hi rick, yea I have Delco manuals on generators & voltage regulators, I have a question have you adjusted and gotten a VR to come back to life?

Many times. In the 80s and 90s I was running a 1955 AC HD6G and a couple of 1950s dump trucks. Had to service the VRs and Gens frequently. The sitting for the winter would take a toll on the batteries which then hurt the VRs. The most important part was polishing the points in the VRs. At that time I had special plastic points files that flexed and made it much easier. Haven't found one of those plastic points files in over 20 years now. If you have given up on a VR, that is a perfect candidate to try rehabilitating. You would only have time to lose. Some VRs had gotten water in them and I couldn't save them. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 05, 2017 - 03:30 PM.

#6 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,791 Thanks
  • 1,259 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 03:55 PM

Hi ok you have experience with them I made a test bench to mount generators and VR's on and to test and adjust and was able to get some to work again but some defy you and will not reliably work and as you say finding the files etc is next to impossible now days, and adjusting VR is not nearly as easy as it may seem reading the Delco manual getting the voltage is a real job at times. 

On the other hand my reason for posting about a solid state regulator was they are far superior to the old mechanical units and many guys have no idea how to work on a mechanical unit.

On farm tractors many including myself convert to an alternator rather then spend the same amount of money for a regulator that may or may not last as a new alternator will cost.

#7 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 743 Thanks
  • 750 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 04:40 PM

They sale diamond-coated flexible flat files for electrical contacts. Thing is all I've seen are packs of 3 sizes and pricey $30 plus unless you do lots of  points cleaning. 

#8 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,791 Thanks
  • 1,259 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 04:49 PM

Yes and what I was getting at is for $30.00 you can get a solid state regulator and never mess with or have a problem with it, $30.00 gets you the files then knowing how to clean and adjust the old regulator is another thing.

My original idea was to see what the thoughts were on a solid state regulator but I can't seem to get you folks to think outside the box all I've gotten is how to work on the old mechanical units, I know how have done it and am going to move on.

#9 grattone OFFLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 309 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 05:09 PM

Have you ever tried your wife's cardboard nail files, I don't know but I would think they come in a verity of grits?

just a thought

#10 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,791 Thanks
  • 1,259 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 05:16 PM

I give up :wallbanging:

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#11 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 743 Thanks
  • 750 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 05:34 PM

I'd say go for it. Any time you can go electronic over mechanical has to be improvement. no worry of contacts. Most are thinking of keeping these older machines original. But if your looking for more reliable worker I see no reason that they will not work. Unless you have 4 wire reg then you'll have to run lights different.  Let me know what one you get and how you like it. I have an old Kohlor K321 with S&G when I get ready to put back in tractor I'll go that way to.

Edited by gopher, February 05, 2017 - 05:40 PM.

#12 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,899 Thanks
  • 2,445 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 08:27 PM

I'm not familiar with the old Harleys but I assume they had generators as you implied and not alternators.

There are "A" circuit generators and "B" circuit generators, and I have no idea what the Harleys would have had. 

Do the s/s regulators work on either type of generator ? 

Looking at the pic you posted of the s/s regulator connector, do you know how to wire it in ?

• MNGB said thank you

#13 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,791 Thanks
  • 1,259 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 08:56 PM

Hi Bruce the Harley's use a Delco generator yes I will post a wiring sheet

Attached File  SOLID STATE GENERATOR VOLTAGE REGULATOR.pdf   6.58KB   41 downloads

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#14 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,791 Thanks
  • 1,259 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 12:56 PM

Hi I just bought a electronic generator regulator when it comes I'll install in on a B&S 16 with a starter generator and see how it works and will report the good bad and ugly

• Bruce Dorsi and gopher have said thanks

#15 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,791 Thanks
  • 1,259 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 06:34 PM

Hi, the electronic generator regulator came today, I installed it on the 16hp B&S started the engine turned the generator switch on and it was working great 14VDC handled the load of a battery and a cigarette lighter. Very simple and easy to install, Ill be going with these in the future if the need of another voltage regulator.

This is the one I bought

• Bruce Dorsi, KennyP, gopher and 2 others have said thanks