• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted February 04, 2017 - 12:39 PM

We live on 48 acres & have a lot of cedar trees. The yard around the house is fenced in to a little shy of an acre. I've been clearing out some of the fields outside the fence area visable to the house.

We've only been here about two years & I have slowly accumulated some unsitely stuff according to my wife. This area I'm clearing now is unseen from the house but in good walking distance. Once I clear this & I finish my trailer (to be shared later) I want to move my good stuff up there. For now I want to just lay down some pallets & make myself a bone yard. Maybe later as funds allow I want to build a storage shed, not sure right now what size or design.

This is what it looks like now. I want to clear the area between the chainsaw & tractor.

clean up1.jpg

These trees are not that big but there black locust & covered with thorns & vines. Little effort for my Bolens H16.

clean up2.jpg clean up4.jpg clean up3.jpg clean up3.jpg clean up6.jpg

I don't like pulling stumps because of leaving a hole or mess & then possible problems with erosion. I left some of the stumps a little high so I could cut & get out of there quick. I'll go back & dig up the ground a little around the stump then using an old bar & chain I'll cut at ground level.

clean up7.jpg clean up8.jpg

This is what I have left of this little area but too cold today to continue.

clean up9.jpg

• hamman, KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 7 others have said thanks

#2 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,537 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted February 04, 2017 - 02:23 PM

The Bolens looks good out there!
  • boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,494 Thanks
  • 7,850 posts

Posted February 04, 2017 - 02:26 PM

Thorns......can see many tire fixing times in your future, heh!

• boyscout862, Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,384 Thanks
  • 3,015 posts

Posted February 04, 2017 - 03:17 PM

Thorns......can see many tire fixing times in your future, heh!

That's for sure.Even worse if you have loaded tubes in your tires lol.

Looks like a perfect location for a tractor shed slash work shop.12x20 pole barn with Loft storage and a lean to on the side for parts tractors and a small out house "just in case" lol

• backwoods, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,313 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted February 04, 2017 - 04:06 PM

You cutting any cedar? I have a chainsaw mill setup and am always looking for some decent cedar to mill. Let me know if you got any to haul off.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • Sawdust said thank you

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,281 Thanks
  • 5,985 posts

Posted February 04, 2017 - 04:37 PM

I'd go ahead and pull the stumps. Then disc that area and pull a drag over it. That should fill in the holes. Do it again next spring and you should be done. Or a pile of dirt and a loader to fill them in. That sounds like fun too. 

• WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,124 Thanks
  • 6,232 posts

Posted February 04, 2017 - 04:52 PM

Better buy up a bunch of slime and get all your tires adequately filled.  Those thorns never rot in the ground and will be there 10 years from now.  Keep the tires air up good and firm will help some also.  I would have waited till it froze up good and used a small dozer to clear the area.  Blade will cut that stuff even with the ground when froze.

• Cvans, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted February 04, 2017 - 08:14 PM

I spent about 30 minutes picking up thorns near the path I had to drive on. I'm trying to keep my area of dragging to a minimum.

#9 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,597 Thanks
  • 2,806 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 06:25 AM

One thing we can all agree on is there is never enough room.for are stuff, looks like you have plenty if room though to build a tractor barn though.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 10:39 AM

Well some more cleanup going on. We have about 452' of fence & I've been repairing, painting & removing some of it a little at a time. My wife the encouraging person she is said by the time I get it done it'll be ready to paint again.

Recently as most know we built a fence around the garden this year. When planning the garden I anticipated on removing these sections of white fence. The sections I'm removing will open up another area to be enjoyed later. I might put a small barn & a potato patch in this area next year. The fence came down pretty easy because it was in bad shape. The neighbors cows got out last year & pushed some of it over to my advantage. I used my Bolens H16 full pulling the posts out...I was impressed.

20170627_112902_resized.jpg 20170627_120427_resized.jpg 20170627_120359_resized.jpg 20170627_120321_resized.jpg 20170628_133851_resized.jpg 20170628_154234_resized.jpg

This area I had to use my weed eater with a brush blade on it. Some of these weeds have stalks about 2" in diameter. I have to take a swipe then let them fall then back again. It worked out well. I'm going to let this stuff dry for a few days then rake it up to burn along with a few cedar trees I cut down last year. We have rain coming in the later part of next week so right before that would be a good time to burn. While I'm burning I'm going to go around & pick up rocks to make clear of cutting the next time. I have a 60" Swisher mower I'm working on right now so this would be good for this area.

20170627_130516_resized.jpg 20170627_130522_resized.jpg 20170627_152017_resized.jpg 20170627_152020_resized.jpg

This is the third wooded area as a whole that I've cleared in the two years we've been here. I keep these cut about every four weeks. I have some other areas I've cleared that are kind of winding through the woods.  I gear up pretty good before working. My wife sprays me down with this peppermint concoction to deter ticks, plenty of water & the hardest thing for me to do is pace myself. It's a lot of work but really nice to look at instead of a bunch of weeds.

• Cvans and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,281 Thanks
  • 5,985 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 11:03 AM

My wife the encouraging person she is said by the time I get it done it'll be ready to paint again.

Your getting a lot done but it sounds like someone (wife) might need a new paint brush and paint as a gift.  :smilewink:

A small tractor (20 to 30hp) with a brush hog would be very helpful on a property like yours. 

• Sawdust said thank you