• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 174 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 06:59 PM

Been thinking about building a 3 point or sleeve hitch for my Craftsman GT18 II.  I've got the loader on it now, but have power beyond on it and am thinking about putting a separate valve on it and making it hydraulic lift.  Just wanted to see if any of you guys have done anything custom like that and what problems you might have run into.  Was thinking about using a plate from the old suburban series and making my own arms and linkage.  Seen a few sleeve hitches on ebay but people want a ton for them.  If anyone has one they want to part with on the cheap I'd be interested in buying it and modifying it.  Send me some pics if you've done anything custom, thanks.

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,449 Thanks
  • 7,813 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 07:09 PM

Don't know, but would bet only Sleeve hitches offered for it originally. And most of those were or still are electric lift used, mounts right on back at hitch. You say yours has a loader, didn't know they had one big enough for that anymore, so maybe it is diff than most of what I have seen??  I would just look for the literature for the orig hitch and try to copy or close one of those. Most of the tractors have the mount holes or places on axles and such to attach the device, just need the parts. Those old time hand lift hitches were OK if you ran their systems attachments, but if you wan't more universal, think would not try those. They CAN be hard to hoist bigger things up with them.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,750 Thanks
  • 44,532 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 07:23 PM

I started a Cat 0 3-point on Big Bertha, 81 GTV/16. Same frame as your GT18. Here's the thread.

• boyscout862, Firemang and secondtry have said thanks

#4 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 174 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 11:39 PM

Don't know, but would bet only Sleeve hitches offered for it originally. And most of those were or still are electric lift used, mounts right on back at hitch. You say yours has a loader, didn't know they had one big enough for that anymore, so maybe it is diff than most of what I have seen??  I would just look for the literature for the orig hitch and try to copy or close one of those. Most of the tractors have the mount holes or places on axles and such to attach the device, just need the parts. Those old time hand lift hitches were OK if you ran their systems attachments, but if you wan't more universal, think would not try those. They CAN be hard to hoist bigger things up with them.

Yeah don't think they ever offered a loader for these, just the FF series, but I got plans from PF Engineering and built one. I've got pics on here, post one here on the thread

#5 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 174 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted February 03, 2017 - 10:56 AM

Heres a few pics of the loader I built

IMG 0145

IMG 0144

IMG 0143

IMG 0142

• KennyP, Sawdust, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,750 Thanks
  • 44,532 posts

Posted February 03, 2017 - 10:58 AM

Good looking unit!

• Firemang said thank you

#7 sharkman OFFLINE  

sharkman
  • Member No: 34759
  • 305 Thanks
  • 244 posts

Posted February 03, 2017 - 11:09 AM

here's  pictures of a CADPlans (one arm) loader I had on a GT-18.  Steering was the week point on this tractor.  

A sleeve hitch was available that worked off the manual lift arm (i have one for sale if interested)

Attached Thumbnails

• CADplans 507-3.JPG
  • CADplans 507-4.JPG
  • IMG_4317.JPG

Edited by sharkman, February 03, 2017 - 11:12 AM.

#8 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 174 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 06:42 PM

here's  pictures of a CADPlans (one arm) loader I had on a GT-18.  Steering was the week point on this tractor.  

A sleeve hitch was available that worked off the manual lift arm (i have one for sale if interested)

Steering with a loader was a problem I encountered too.  To get around it, I put in an electric power steering unit from a Saturn Ion and it works real well so far.  Have a thread on here if you're interested.  Anyhow I've decided to try the sleeve hitch option versus the 3pt type, more sleeve hitch implements on craigslist and whatnot in my area.  How much would you want for the sleeve hitch?  Just need the main bracket that the implements attach to, not the whole setup because 1) I had to remove the implement/mower lift arm when I put my main loader subframe on and 2) since I have hydraulics on this with power beyond I'm going to attempt to make it lift with hydraulics.  Let me know your price, thanks.

#9 Zekkjacen OFFLINE  

Zekkjacen
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 38932
  • 145 Thanks
  • 189 posts

Posted March 25, 2017 - 12:48 AM

Not sure if you sold the sleeve hitch.  I'm trying to get my Dad's Craftsman going and am in the market for a sleeve hitch to use with it . (hooking up a Brinley plow.